The only potential benefit I see to the Nexus would be multi-touch. I believe I read somewhere that Android 2+ was going to have Multi-touch support... I could be wrong there.. but it's a "possibility" of the android platform that the N900 doesn't have (my understanding, the capacitive vs resistive screens). I'm of course not saying the screen is better, or wanting to start that particular flame-war off, but multi-touch support *is* nice to have (especially for certain games) - just not a requirement.

Also.. android is quite nice in keeping your life sync'd with google. This is both super-convenient... and very invasive .
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
Nokia N900 vs Google Nexus One comparison

Flash: 32GB vs 512MB
Virtual memory: 768MB vs 512MB
Flash: Dual-LED vs Single-LED
HSDPA: 10.2Mpbs vs 7.2Mpbs
SoC: OMAP3 vs Snapdragon 8250

Correct me if I'm "wrong", but what's so special about the Nexus? Even Moto Droid, Sammy Omnia HD and HTC HD2 are all better hardware wise.
Nexus has 512MB DRAM (not paged flash memory) versus the N900's 256MB.

The Nexus is special because it's the most developer- and nerd-centric Android device to arrive on the scene to date. Anyone on the fence between N900 and Android is likely to go for the Nexus One.

Those of us who are already in the Maemo camp aren't likely to see any added value in the Nexus One over the N900. Apples and oranges. Or pears and oranges. Or pears and penguins. Whatever.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Svengalis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
I understand the argument to be made in reference to the Snapdragon being the lesser processor, even with it's higher clock speed, because of presence of the graphics co-processor on the A8 .....as a theoretical exercise. But what I want to know, is how that translates into real world performance differences, where I imagine the actual relative merits are going to depend somewhat on software optimization. So what I'd like to see, is how they compare on some list of tasks. And not only in speed, but also in number of "button" presses to complete the task, which is of course more a measure of UI design than anything else.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
The only potential benefit I see to the Nexus would be multi-touch. I believe I read somewhere that Android 2+ was going to have Multi-touch support...
The Nexus (as of this morning) does not have multi touch enabled, but this is speculated to be a legal limitation (Apple) rather than a hardware or even a software limitation. The UK version of the Droid shipped with multitouch out of the box, this on what I understood to be Android 2.

Its hard to compare Android vs Maemo (this snapdragon vs omap3) because of the fundamental differences in the operating system design. Android applications typically have significantly more of a footprint due to the java "vm" system that they have to run through..

Since I know of no identical OS's on snapdragon vs omap3... the Nexus is sort of fighting a losing battle uphill in terms of processing power.. the snapdragon, in theory, is supposed to be slower - and the OS it runs is bulkier than Maemo or even the iPhone (I believe, since apple controls the hardware here they have no need for the middle layer.)

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Seoul, South Korea
I wanted to go Android all the way when i first heard about it coming out, but I honestly don't like the idea of Google taking over the world. They already prob. know too much about me given I use their email service, etc. I think the N900 is assuming they fix somethings software wise. Again, there is no, "Best Phone"....different strokes for different folks.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Its hard to compare Android vs Maemo (this snapdragon vs omap3) because of the fundamental differences in the operating system design. Android applications typically have significantly more of a footprint due to the java "vm" system that they have to run through..

Since I know of no identical OS's on snapdragon vs omap3... the Nexus is sort of fighting a losing battle uphill in terms of processing power.. the snapdragon, in theory, is supposed to be slower - and the OS it runs is bulkier than Maemo or even the iPhone (I believe, since apple controls the hardware here they have no need for the middle layer.)
Even if you don't include operating systems into calculations. It's hard to compare Snapdragon to OMAP 3 due to their hardware differences. Snapdragon's 1 Ghz processes everything (sound, video, cpu). While OMAP3 offloads the processing to diffferent cores so you have a 600 mhz CPU, but also have another for sound, video, etc..

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

That is true as well.. however if we could get an identical operating system on both we could judge "real world" application of the processors rather than theoretical speeds.

Well you would have to optimize the operating system for each platform of course.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

But of course . It's the only way to be fair!