Active Topics

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
It really is great to see all these devices starting to appear.

We also have the Ramos being announced (and already referred to in another thread on ITT)
http://translate.google.com/translat...itemid%3D22909

It is fantastic that Linux is appearing as default o/s, despite there not being a Linux MID specific o/s currently available. Presumably Android will save the day here, or maybe even the astonishing work being done by ITT members on alternative o/s solutions will find a broader audience.

One omission that disappoints is the lack of a built in webcam. This is not on the Viliv S5 either. Yet almost all of the early MID prototypes had one (or two) and the Intel promos feature video chat as an exciting capability.

Now that second hand N800's are available for £100 on eBay I have been buying them for my family. Everyone loves video chat, not least the 2yr old toddlers.

Incredibly, when family friends see the capability of the N800 in action they, too, go and buy them. It makes me wonder why Nokia didn't promote the device in a way that people could relate to in the first instance.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
One omission that disappoints is the lack of a built in webcam. This is not on the Viliv S5 either. Yet almost all of the early MID prototypes had one (or two) and the Intel promos feature video chat as an exciting capability.
Meh. I feel much more disappointed by the lack of a portrait camera than the lack of a webcam.

However, that Ramos design dose look pretty sweet.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
on the use of linux, i fear it will be stuffed to the brim with binary blobs and other fun stuff. these products seems to treat it as a quick way to get a feature laden firmware out, with no thought to community or openness...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
I feel much more disappointed by the lack of a portrait camera than the lack of a webcam.
Of course I have no issue with the web cam being of decent quality to the extent that it can double up as a respectable stills/video camera. The N800 already does this but the image quality is pretty dire.

If they can fit 8MP cameras inside mobile phones then it must be possible to do the same with a MID.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Rebski View Post
Of course I have no issue with the web cam being of decent quality to the extent that it can double up as a respectable stills/video camera. The N800 already does this but the image quality is pretty dire.

If they can fit 8MP cameras inside mobile phones then it must be possible to do the same with a MID.
While I did appreciate that the N800 gave you the ability to use the camera for either chat or portraits ... I thought its implementation of it was kind of poor. But I'm not sure of a universally good way to make that work, either.

the ones that the the top edge of the laptop rotatable don't really work for me either.

Plus, I want a flash on it :-)

Originally Posted by tso View Post
on the use of linux, i fear it will be stuffed to the brim with binary blobs and other fun stuff. these products seems to treat it as a quick way to get a feature laden firmware out, with no thought to community or openness...
Sure, but even that's better than a totally proprietary OS.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
got yourself a point there. i guess what im trying to say is that it may give first timers a wrong impression of linux (see eeepc and the xandros distro)...

Reviews from some Chinese web site indicated the stock OS (a variation of ubuntu) in SmartQ5 isn't very user friendly, at least the Midori browser isn't as user friendly as the browser in n810, any chance porting the maemo to devices other than Nokia product?

Only half of the real estate for web content is not a good design

Hi chunglam

Would you post the link please?

Not that I understand Chinese but I would like to check out the article nonetheless.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by chunglam View Post
any chance porting the maemo to devices other than Nokia product?
There are two options:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:

Tags
parting of the red sea