Active Topics

Poll: Is it okay for a student with limited financial resources to pirate software?
Poll Options
Is it okay for a student with limited financial resources to pirate software?

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Based on legal precepts in many states and nations, infringement of intellectual property IS defined as a form of theft. I wish detractors would work harder on changing law rather than filling up the intertubes with disingenuous rationalizations around it.
"Legal" does not define "right" or "wrong". It simply defines Legal, or Illegal.

Just because something may be illegal doesn't make it wrong, and just because something may be legal doesn't make it right.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sheffield
Is it Ok? Its certainly becoming more commonplace and socially acceptable, whatever the moral or legal standpoint.

I worked for a big university not long ago, piracy was pretty rife amongst the staff, let alone the students.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
Originally Posted by Digbum13 View Post
Is it Ok? Its certainly becoming more commonplace and socially acceptable, whatever the moral or legal standpoint.

I worked for a big university not long ago, piracy was pretty rife amongst the staff, let alone the students.
I really think there is a connection to convenience/opportunity, chances of being caught and of course, social acceptability. All of that and the other rationalizations contained within this thread don't change the simple fact that it is theft.

To answer the original question, "Is it okay for a student with limited financial resources to pirate software?" well really that's your decision. No one else can absolve you of the consequences of your actions. It's your decision alone. Just asking the question shows you have doubts, I say be your own man, it's your choice.

BTW, I am a bit surprised at the amount of "voters" who think it's okay.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
"Legal" does not define "right" or "wrong". It simply defines Legal, or Illegal.

Just because something may be illegal doesn't make it wrong, and just because something may be legal doesn't make it right.
I wasn't arguing right or wrong at the time. I thought it was agreed at this point in this educational thread that those terms are too subjective.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I wasn't arguing right or wrong at the time. I thought it was agreed at this point in this educational thread that those terms are too subjective.
Oh, well in that case there's really no discussion at all.

Legally (at least in most/all the US) it doesn't matter why you obtained pirated software - you can still be fined/imprisoned for it.

Unless you have a damn good attorney.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
I don't think Paypal works outside the US and we know that Nokia is focused on the global market not just in the US. I know you want them to do something special for the US and I agree Paypal would be nice.

Still, it's no reason for name calling or stealing.
I live in Australia, I was sure paypal was worldwide :3

I'm still fighting the while you need a visa credit card to buy things online.

Last edited by jaimex2; 2010-09-23 at 12:08.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Oh, well in that case there's really no discussion at all.

Legally (at least in most/all the US) it doesn't matter why you obtained pirated software - you can still be fined/imprisoned for it.

Unless you have a damn good attorney.
Thank god I'm not in the US.

I got 5 warning emails from different movie studios threatening legal action for being in a torrent swarm, forwarded by my backstabbing ISP,

I left the ISP for one that was known to ignore threats and not cooperate. Their customer base sky rocketed for being one of the few to not take crap from international corporations. I love you iiNet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadshow_Films_v_iiNet

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Phoenix, Cochin, Bad Durkheim
When I was in college I couldn't afford to upgrade from Win 3.11 to Win95. So I just got into Linux. Now we have a Linux based company of over 300 engineers and growing... :-)
In short. I can afford software today, but I still love linux. I use a Macbook pro with Linux.

I wouldn't recommend piracy. It is bad.

When you get out of college you would develop software and expect people to pay for it.

Originally Posted by jaimex2 View Post
I live in Australia, I was sure paypal was worldwide :3

I'm still fighting the while you need a visa credit card to buy things online.
I didn't realize that. Very cool. I think Nokia just caters the lowest common denominator which is standard VISA. Buying stuff without a credit card online is very difficult. Good luck with that.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
If someone creates something good enough for you to steal and listen to over and over again and keep on your laptop then the argument that it sucks doesn't fly, because you wouldn't steal something you don't want or need.
Bolding your points don't make them any more right. If it's good enough to listen doesn't mean it's good enough to buy. Especially at those prices. Depending on the target economy and exchange rate, a standard DVD is 25% of minimum wage and more expensive then the player.

I don't listen over and over, I don't have a laptop and I don't need it. Demonizing me doesn't invalidate any argument I made.

Neither does the idea that rationalizing makes a point invalid.

I pay for most of the things I use and play. But I know full well that I do so because I can afford to. I was presenting another side of the argument and catching flack for it. I thought a different view would stimulate intelligent conversation, instead I managed to organize a mob.

So, that's it for me on this line of discussion. You'll have to make a different shaped straw man to fight.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Tags
bollocks!, here be pirates, pirateparty ftw