Poll: N900 vs Milestone
Poll Options
N900 vs Milestone

I am running both N900 and a Nexus One (not Droid, but maybe relevant to this discussion) with Froyo (Android 2.2) for a few weeks to decide which to keep. I am running the Nexus One for about 2 weeks, then will switch back to the N900 for a week or two before making a judgement on which to keep (or whether to keep both).

Initial impressions after 5 days with the Nexus One w/ 2.2:
- performance is great, extremely snappy, no lag like I sometimes get with N900 while multitasking
- very mature OS, lots of little touches missing from Maemo
- miss the real keyboard on N900!
- missing the accuracy of the resistive screen, esp. when trying to click on small links in the browser without zooming. also miss being able to use stylus to write notes quickly
- MicroB is a great browser. Miss it on Android.
- Clearly developer momentum is there with Android. Lots of good commercial apps that are just missing with Maemo that I enjoy using (e.g., I have a Rhapsody subscription, and it is great to be able to use on my phone)
- Email is vastly better on the Nexus One.
- Miss near universal cut and paste on the N900
- Miss simplicity and effectiveness of the maemo dashboard for multitasking - kind of clunky to switch apps and see what is currently running on Nexus One
- Miss integration of Skype and IM into contacts and the phone app
- Phone app way better on Nexus
- Desktop and car dock are great for Nexus One. Of course if I wanted an ecosystem, I'd get an iphone.
- certain tasks are really efficient on the N900. E.g., being able to open the keyboard and type the first few letters of a contacts name is awesome

My key reason for considering Nexus One was related to (a) poor email experience on the N900, esp. Exchange and IMAP implementation and how slow it is to switch mailboxes, a task I perform many times a day; (b) the rate of OS and app development and total lack of confidence in Intel's ability / track record on delivering software - Meego was a big confidence hit for me in future of the platform; (c) lack of developer interest and investment in Maemo platform. But email was the big one - I'd probably never consider a switch if email was on par with Symbian (e.g. if Profimail was ported and Nokia had implemented Exchange with something close to Symbian implementation or even close to competive platforms.).

Last edited by dcman; 2010-05-28 at 22:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to dcman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Okay it seems that the batterylife in the Droid/Milestone is a bit worse than with the N900.

I charged the phone up today with power switched on to get the most out of the charge. Lasted about 5hrs with moderate use. For me the N900 goes on for atleast 9 with heavy use.

+1 for N900.

End of discussion Motorola sucks major donkey balls. Simple as that trying to compare a Motorola phone to Nokia phone the Nokia phone is always better. Now the Milestone/Droid looks pretty cool but Motorola has been pretty bad about rolling out updates to the Droid/Milestone took it a while to get Android 2.1 and multitouch despite the Droid having the hardware capabilities. The one thing that pissed me off about the n900 is that didn't video conferencing despite having a front camera but now with the latest update it has it. Also Motorola=fail I can tell you from personal experience had moto razr tried making phone calls on it and I could barely here used a Nokia flip phone instead sound quality was much better. Americans don't know how to make cellphones (Except maybe Palm).

Last edited by railroadmaster; 2010-05-30 at 22:42.

Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
End of discussion Motorola sucks major donkey balls. Simple as that trying to compare a Motorola phone to Nokia phone the Nokia phone is always better. Now the Milestone/Droid looks pretty cool but Motorola has been pretty bad about rolling out updates to the Droid/Milestone took it a while to get Android 2.1 and multitouch despite the Droid having the hardware capabilities. The one thing that pissed me off about the n900 is that didn't video conferencing despite having a front camera but now with the latest update it has it. Also Motorola=fail I can tell you from personal experience had moto razr tried making phone calls on it and I could barely here used a Nokia flip phone instead sound quality was much better. Americans don't know how to make cellphones (Except maybe Palm).
Man, you just suck!

Originally Posted by dcman View Post
- Miss near universal cut and paste on the N900
- Miss simplicity and effectiveness of the maemo dashboard for multitasking - kind of clunky to switch apps and see what is currently running on Nexus One

Hi, some questions:

- how is cut-and-paste performed on the Nexus
- how does the switch-app on Nexus look like, why is worse?
- what about the sw-only keyboard. how do you see it for yourself, after being used to the N900's one?
- and the speed, is it really quick (or, as you say, snappy) all the time? You know, its what attracts me to Nexus, my N900 is kinda slow (like hell last few days) ... and I must say I reflashed both eMMC and rootfs after 1.2 appeared and its only few days ...

Thanks!

PS: Sorry for (possilble) OT, but its a competitors forum anyway ...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3764/t...torola-droid/1

Anantech revisit two OMAP 3430 phones giving an in-depth comparison of the N900 (Maemo 5 PR1.1) and Motorola Droid (Android 2.1).

They do touch on a couple of PR1.2 features too

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
End of discussion Motorola sucks major donkey balls.
Hahaha....excellent, made me laugh.
I agree from past experience with Motorola phones.

Although I have to admit, I too was trying to choose between these same 2 phones and read countless reviews on both.

Ended up with the N900 and happy with it.

Reasons:
Droid just looks to square and ugly to me, personal taste.
Droid keyboard too flat and wide, smaller hands.
N900 slightly faster CPU by default.
N900 has Ovi Maps with offline map download, although not quite up to pair with Symbian version...yet.

Tags
comparison, competition, droid, fight, milestone, motorola droid, motorola milestone, n900, nokia n900