Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
The n900 camera is still an order of magnitude better than my BQ E5 UBUNTU.
Was fooling around during my search for an Aquafish,
and remembered to take a foto to demonstrate.

Stock camera apps, haven't ever cleaned the lens in years.
just point and click.
(had to resize one of the fotos to meet TMO size limits.)
Attached Images

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Still using it daily as a utility device - IR remote control, podcasts, fm transmitter music player for car (although recently I purchased a cheap lighter socket bluetooth handsfree FM transmitter device so I could use my 808 to play music, however sound quality isn't as good as the N900 - probably because of the cheap BT and FM transmitter - but the FM signal is stronger than the N900's).

At my present location I'm also using it as my 3rd phone. But normally it wouldn't have a sim card in it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
What sync issues are you having? And which version of own cloud are you using?

x

Originally Posted by ymartin59 View Post
Mine is still up and running as main and only phone since January 2010.

I expect to create soon a Docker image for N900 build chain and compile latest sync-evolution with hope to work-around a calendar sync issue with ownCloud. I have also plans to build netsurf.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Yes, but what I mean is I'd need to first get the certificate exported from our server.... cannot remember offhand but it is some openssh-command...
I need to do that to fetch the cert to N900, then install from there, right?
Might be some openssl command along the lines from this stack exchange thread http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7...-from-a-server

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
...so I could use my 808 to play music, however sound quality isn't as good as the N900 - probably because of the cheap BT and FM transmitter - but the FM signal is stronger than the N900's).
My experience is that the N900 is second to the 808 in sound quality when wired to a HIFI chain.
Also the 808 has QuasarMX
The N900 is my second favorite digital to analogue convertor.
Compared to N900 and 808 the Jolla is a device to filter the life out music.

Of course I use my N900 on daily basis.

Actually it is only beaten in the following by other devices I own: Sound quality (808), Camera (808), Surfing (Jolla has Firefox), Hotspot (Jolla is best in this thnx to 4G, battery life and easy enabling)

N900
-cheapest way to be always online with Skype (wonder what MS gets out of this to leave the N900 untouched)
-the only phone interface that screams productivity (granted, combined with best available hardware combo at the time and not surpased)
-it doesn't take the user for an idiot. I have learned how to shift gears, break before a corner, piss in a toillet, create other human beings, jumped out of an airplane, but I can't decide when to quit programs to save battery life or just go flat-out to get stuff done, slow or not?
-
it is up to date with the times:

in 2010 my colleagues didn't imagine that I was actually homeworking from a downtown bar or at the seaside
in 2016 I only need to show my N900 and people understand I can't be connected and working all the time everywhere

-It is Nokia built, it just doesn't quit, even no broken USB

Needless to say, I still like my N900.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Still strange even if 6 years has past...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCrCUygOTvI

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ SoCal, USA
Since I am working remote today, here is a pic from my home setup today with daimos, my N900:

Again, connecting via ssh over USB network (using mad developer) to laptop. Speakers are plugged in the audio port and audio is played/controlled using mplayer from the shell in the mini monitor. x11vnc is also running, so I can access gui apps from the laptop. I usually run the gui in a window, not full screen.

This has been my typical setup over the years, but usually with a SIM card in the phone. I have been starting to migrate over to an android device (forced migration...AT&T is giving me until the end of the year since they are phasing out GPRS. No more old dumb phones/Treo 680/N900* ) I'm still swapping my SIM with both devices, but will eventually have to use the android for voice and text (after the device is as clean as I can get it.) The N900 will then be used primarily for personal computing / hobby stuff.

* unless I go T-mo. Not really an option for me.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to miked1541 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
Strange, my Gmail account is working with no problem, without installing any certificate
What you forgot to add a smiley! Or are you serious here and now...
You are talking about gmail for gossakes, of course they have an official certificate, it is the bloody google you are talking about!

It is very different thing when you host your own mailserver...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
What you forgot to add a smiley! Or are you serious here and now...
You are talking about gmail for gossakes, of course they have an official certificate, it is the bloody google you are talking about!

It is very different thing when you host your own mailserver...
I thought the problem was with the email application of n900 itself, i did not know you were using a personal mailserver.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Any day of the year is Mighty N900 day for me. My main use (next to standard phone use) is Emacs.

Emacs is not just a fancy editor. My browsing is done from Emacs and it can do a lot more - ERC, task list creation, flashcards, calendar, brainstorming, reading, gaming. Haven't tried to set up my mail with emacs yet, but that it is on my todo list (my todo list created in Emacs of course and so much more.. )
Text on the N900 is very easy to read in bright light (very sunny the last few days)
I own four fully working N900's and not planning to change to another phone any time soon because imho there is still no better alternative.

That was the good part - and now the bad

My N900 was hanging during booting a few days ago so I reflashed it. I have done that before and have a laptop with all relevant files and instructions set up so it took me not more than 30 minutes to have everything re-installed (incl. CSSU / repo's and of course Emacs including .emacs )

Then I imported the contacts from my SIM card and realized that new contacts were not automatically synced with my SIM card and there doesn't seem to be a method to do that at all. Googled a bit and I have read some posts from 2010 that it wasn't implemented by Nokia. Is that still the case?

Last edited by t-b; 2016-07-21 at 18:13.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post: