Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
the tentative charger chip will allow not only running from "AC" but even booting the device without battery - from both Nokia system 1) and Apple system 2) USB chargers. However what's probably not working resp could cause the whole device to reboot hard is GSM transmission at the higher power levels (adjusted by BTS according to roughly your distance from BTS). Since the modem can use up to several Ampere bursts of current, it will need a buffer battery or at least TX will fail. The CPU *should* 'survive' such short brownout of power supply, but I cannot guarantee that yet. Buzzword hotswap which is based on such CPU buffering during short brownouts.
Internal uSD in parallel to the existing uSD and to the planned eMMC is hardly feasible, we would need to multiplex that, and also the assumtion of it "needing almost no space" is not exactly correct. Also theoretically eMMC is twice as fast as uSD, thanks to doubled data bus width.
On the bright side, eMMC should have a rather long life span, and it's not the most complicated part to replace, actually swapping that chip is one of the simpler tasks.

1) D+/D- short
2) resistor voltage-dividers on borth D+ and D-

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-10-24 at 00:32.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
here's crossing fingers the tentative charging chip becomes "the fur shure chargin' chip"

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
here's crossing fingers the tentative charging chip becomes "the fur shure chargin' chip"
Tried to donate 3 times in the early days but was not allowed because I didn't have a post code. Gave up and spent the money elsewhere. I just want a faster n900. Love it to bits. Now there's a paypal option I'll save up and donate again. Nice to know there's another 1972 model out there. Keep it it up, I appreciate what you lads are doing and would love to own a neo900.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to king Ralphred For This Useful Post:
NOTICE
Risk part: camera switch

http://industrial.panasonic.com/www-...TK0000CE24.pdf gets discontinued
Pondering amount to secure, resp alternatives to securing a certain amount right away.

This is just an info to let you know what's going on and prepare you for times when we run into more of this sort of issue. Also it shows how "preorder window" may eventually close suddenly. This particular issue is not considered any sort of problem yet.

cheers
jOERG

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-10-24 at 11:26.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
And if I don't preorder, will it be possible to get a Neo900 when it's sure the device will surely be produced?

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
And if I don't preorder, will it be possible to get a Neo900 when it's sure the device will surely be produced?
We cannot guarantee that, since - see above. when we for (made-up) example get a 500 camrea switches now, then we will be able to sell only 450 devices later on, since the switches will not be available anymore. Again this is a made-up example to explain the situation we might face, ideally the amount of devices we can build is unlimted, but don't hope for that, since it may - and probably will - change eventually. We need to secure/source components and the count of components we secured will determine the size of first batch to build. For a possible second batch we again need to reach a certain minimum count of preorders and then start to see if we can find another maybe 300 (or whatever the preorder count) $whatever-all-the-components-needed (camswitches, RAM chips, etc pp). You generally cannot source an additional 10 or 50 of any such component. You buy one "huge" batch and you hope that "huge" batch is just large enough to meet the minimum order quantity of each component, which often is a 1000 or even 2500.
Hope that shed some light on the situation.
cheers
jOERG

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
That would free up the future difficulty of finding (then) discontinued batteries...making us far less reliant on a corporate provider ....or the sellers desire to hike prices astronomically...or at the mercy of resold old used ones, or frauds and fakes.
There's always the option to disassemble the battery and swap the cell to a new one that roughly fits (not physically larger dimensions than original one).

Neo900 resp actually the NeoN bare board will even support custom made batteries that have a BQ27000 embedded battery gas gauge chip (identical to the BQ27200 used in N900, and Neo900) connected to the BSI contact. You could probably accomplish that by using the electronics PCB of a GTA02 smart battery and marry it with the "case", contact claws, and cell of a BL-5J. (though the GTA02 smartbatt is a tad thicker, so it might fit or not)

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-10-24 at 14:51. Reason: better link to GTA02 batt

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
And what if a neo breaks after the warranty period. I won't be fixable because of the lack of spare parts.

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
And what if a neo breaks after the warranty period. I won't be fixable because of the lack of spare parts.
That's why I said "500 cam switches means we can sell 450 devices": 10% for replacements. Don't worry! :-)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
That's why I said "500 cam switches means we can sell 450 devices": 10% for replacements. Don't worry! :-)
And what if a spare part breaks in 60 devices? The modern devices are very prone to hw damage.

Tags
neo900, thank you!