Posts: 150 | Thanked: 222 times | Joined on Aug 2017 @ Spain
Hello, I was a Palm user for the first time with a Palm Pre 2. I really liked this phone, for the quality of its construction and the amount of things that could be done in webOS.

I was recently curious about Palm's past and started doing some research. I read about Palm OS and its PDAs. I was especially impressed to find out that there are also phones with Palm / Garnet OS.

I saw several phones with this old system, in search of the best phone. After several hours of reading on forums and wikis, I found the winner: Palm Centro.

It is curious that today there are not many for sale, since apparently it had its golden age in the USA.

On eBay from the USA I saw a few, but they don't ship to Spain. The most curious thing is that I found this mobile for sale:

A pink Palm Centro! And I love it! Haha, I don't know how to explain it, I've always been the classic dark phone user. Actually, the Palm Centro is beautiful in its own right, regardless of color.

Does anyone have one?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalatti For This Useful Post:
In the event that I can't find someone else to sell one, I could try to buy the cell phone in the picture (on eBay USA). The seller allows shipping to Germany (not to Spain, although I have sent him a message now). Is there someone who is reading me right now and is from Germany? I have really fallen in love with this phone!

(Sorry for my bad English).

---

Update:

They have already sold the latest pink mobile from eBay.

Last edited by Kalatti; 2021-03-17 at 03:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kalatti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 1,980 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Lisbon - Portugal
Originally Posted by Kalatti View Post
In the event that I can't find someone else to sell one, I could try to buy the cell phone in the picture (on eBay USA). The seller allows shipping to Germany (not to Spain, although I have sent him a message now). Is there someone who is reading me right now and is from Germany? I have really fallen in love with this phone!

(Sorry for my bad English).

---

Update:

They have already sold the latest pink mobile from eBay.
From UK

https://www.ebay.es/sch/i.html?_from...entro&_sacat=0

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deutch1976 For This Useful Post:
palm treo 500v is very similar

Originally Posted by deutch1976 View Post
From UK

https://www.ebay.es/sch/i.html?_from...entro&_sacat=0
Thanks. Yes, I saw it yesterday, but it is very expensive and used. Does not include box or charger. In addition, shipments from the UK are now much more expensive since Brexit.

I would like to find one for sale in Europe, it is strange that I do not find one in Europe, right? There are a lot of Europeans in this forum and it is the best forum for rare phones with alternative / outdated systems!

---

The Treo 500v is aesthetically almost identical, albeit with a wider body and screen. The big difference is that the 500v uses Windows Mobile 6.

Aesthetically, the Palm Centro seems more beautiful to me, since it is thinner (the 500v seems like an old BlackBerry to me). But the most important thing is that it uses Palm OS 5.4.9 (the latest public version of Palm OS installed on an official mobile). What really interests me is the operating system (although I love the aesthetics of the Palm Centro).

In addition, the pink version (and also the green version) are exclusive to the Sprint operator. The big advantage (regardless of whether someone likes color) is that it has twice the user-accessible storage of the other Palm Centro (the Sprint version is 128MB instead of 64MB).

I also read that there is a version of the Palm Centro with GSM unlocked (most Palm Centro are CDMA). This version is white with gray accents on the keyboard.

Anyway, it is a mobile that I want to have at home, so I would not use it with a SIM. For this reason, I do not need the GSM version (which is compatible with the Spanish networks). So the best version for me is the Sprint version (with 128MB) and hopefully in vibrant rose!

http://www.brighthand.com/news/palm-...ck-comparison/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalatti For This Useful Post:
Thanks. Yes, I saw it yesterday, but it is very expensive and used. Does not include box or charger. In addition, shipments from the UK are now much more expensive since Brexit.

I would like to find one for sale in Europe, it is strange that I do not find one in Europe, right? There are a lot of Europeans in this forum and it is the best forum for rare phones with alternative / outdated systems!

---

The Treo 500v is aesthetically almost identical, albeit with a wider body and screen. The big difference is that the 500v uses Windows Mobile 6.

Aesthetically, the Palm Centro seems more beautiful to me, since it is thinner (the 500v seems like an old BlackBerry to me). But the most important thing is that it uses Palm OS 5.4.9 (the latest public version of Palm OS installed on an official mobile). What really interests me is the operating system (although I love the aesthetics of the Palm Centro).

In addition, the pink version (and also the green version) are exclusive to the Sprint operator. The big advantage (regardless of whether someone likes color) is that it has twice the user-accessible storage of the other Palm Centro (the Sprint version is 128MB instead of 64MB).

I also read that there is a version of the Palm Centro with GSM unlocked (most Palm Centro are CDMA). This version is white with gray accents on the keyboard.

Anyway, it is a mobile that I want to have at home, so I would not use it with a SIM. For this reason, I do not need the GSM version (which is compatible with the Spanish networks). So the best version for me is the Sprint version (with 128MB) and hopefully in vibrant rose!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pr...CtD12bk97JatQU

http://www.brighthand.com/news/palm-...ck-comparison/
There are a few here:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...entro&_sacat=0

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA

I love the box logo: "Your shortcut to happy hour."

The label is: PALM, CENTRO, GSM/EDGE, EU, QWERTY, BLACK

And it's unlocked. It's got all the parts, including multiple adapters for the power supply. I'm not sure the model number, it just calls itself palm centro, but the EAN is 7640111464600.

It was my wife's back in residency, pretty sure she'd be willing to part with it. In those days, the mobile app she needed for patient and drug info ran only on palm, blackberry and wince. Androids and iPhones were considered "toys" and not serious devices for serious stuff by EMR software companies.

It's in the US, guess I'd have to confirm that lithium battery shipping requirements on both ends are mutually compatible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by deutch1976 View Post
There are a few here:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...entro&_sacat=0
Thanks. I had already seen those ads too. I really don't understand how they sell them so expensive. I also do not understand why there are so few available (it is assumed that many units of this phone were sold when it was released).

I do not want to spend a lot of money and, also, the prices I see are too high for an old phone (also, it was not a high-priced phone 10 years ago, it seems that now they are trying to sell it high because there are few units for sale) .

Right now the only one that I see as a good price is the Red one, from Sprint (on eBay). Interestingly, it seems that this model (red), despite being from Sprint, only has 64 MB (instead of 128 MB). The big disadvantage is that this ad is from the USA and, in addition to the € 20 shipping cost, I am sure that I have to pay € 30 more for the import (very common to have to pay a high price from Customs in Spain for a product from the USA or from outside the EU).

The listing also does not include the box, charger, or back cover. Although for that price I would buy it if the ad was outside the EU (€ 20 is a good price for an old phone and shipping would be around € 10 or € 15).

----
Upgrade:

Well, I have seen that it is very difficult to get a Palm Centro for a not very high price. I love this mobile aesthetically, but what really interests me is Palm OS 5.4.9. So I have seen again the phones that I had discarded (and that have Palm OS 5.4.9):

(There are also some PDAs (Palm TX and Palm Z22, as well as other non-Palm PDAs) with this version of OS, but I'm only interested in phones.)

Palm Treo 680: GSM. PXA270 312 MHz. 64 MB available for the user. SD.

Palm Treo 700p: CDMA. PXA272 312 MHz. The antenna sticks out of the body (negative point for me). 64 MB available to the user. SD.

Palm Treo 755p: CDMA. PXA272 312 MHz. 64 MB available to the user. MiniSD.

They are very similar, the decision would be between the 680 (GSM) and the 755p (better CPU and miniSD). As they are almost the same, here I would choose the 680, since it has GSM and will be easier to get in Europe.

Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...18ccd58e_h.jpg

I love the box logo: "Your shortcut to happy hour."

The label is: PALM, CENTRO, GSM/EDGE, EU, QWERTY, BLACK

And it's unlocked. It's got all the parts, including multiple adapters for the power supply. I'm not sure the model number, it just calls itself palm centro, but the EAN is 7640111464600.

It was my wife's back in residency, pretty sure she'd be willing to part with it. In those days, the mobile app she needed for patient and drug info ran only on palm, blackberry and wince. Androids and iPhones were considered "toys" and not serious devices for serious stuff by EMR software companies.

It's in the US, guess I'd have to confirm that lithium battery shipping requirements on both ends are mutually compatible.
My happy hour!

How beautiful and elegant is that Palm Centro in black! It is the GSM version, compatible in my country (something very positive, since the Palm Centro do not have WiFI).

Could you ask her a price for the mobile?

In my country they usually charge quite expensive to ship products from the US (Spanish Customs are very expensive and shipping agencies are not very honest with prices). A trick that sometimes works here is that the product has a value of € 20 or less if it is an old or small product. This way, sometimes you don't have to pay as much to pick up the package.

By the way, I did not know that story about the iPhone and Android! I like these curiosities.

A few years ago I received a phone from the US and there were no problems with the shipment. I think the important thing is that the battery is inside the phone and that it is not lead or other very harmful batteries.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
My happy hour!

How beautiful and elegant is that Palm Centro in black! It is the GSM version, compatible in my country (something very positive, since the Palm Centro do not have WiFI).

Could you ask her a price for the mobile?
Her response was "I didn't know we still had that! Do whatever you want with it".

So if you want it, it's yours for the shipping cost, which USPS estimates is about $25 US (assuming I can package it up under 2lbs/900g, and I think I can), because I'd hate to see you have to pay more in duties than it's worth!

It doesn't show up well in the photo, but the case actually has a subtle black pearlescence to it. I don't know what the onboard storage is on this one, but there is a micro SD slot, which IIRC can take up to a 4GB card. Memories of before-times fading . . .

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post: