Posts: 249 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
that did the trick, thanks.

But shouldn't swapset do it automatically?

http://maemo.org/packages/view/swapset/
Yes, yes it should, that's what I intended.

Could you paste or email me the results of: "sfdisk -lnd" please? - It's probably just a dodgy regex. The bugtracker link is right there on the package listing though...

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_jrt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
I don't know, haven't used swapset.
You guys should read the thread; SwapSet automatically sets a ramzcache with size=65 mb and searches for swap partitions on your SD, and loads (swapon) these and prioritizes the swap settings.

Keep in mind that devs are still trying to find the best settings for using the swap-to-SD solution. The settings from vi_'s comments are recommended for just ramzcache.

Originally Posted by mr_jrt View Post
Yes, yes it should, that's what I intended.

Could you paste or email me the results of: "sfdisk -lnd" please? - It's probably just a dodgy regex. The bugtracker link is right there on the package listing though...
I did a reboot, and now it correctly recognized the swap space in mmcblk1p2 and swapon'ed it as priority -2.

The reason may be, that before I had made "mkswap" on Linux PC, but now I redid "mkswap" on N900. So there may have been some incompatible parameters before and swapset failed to recognize it.

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ switzerland
Hi,

i am testing this with different settings and have question about how to be sure if the lag is due to compache reaching its max size or if the lag is related to a CPU bottleneck.

What i mean is, if i set disksize with 64mb, to reach the max size, i have to load few apps, but if i set the disksize to 96 or 128MB, to reach the max size i have to load more apps.
As i usually use video+psx emulator+youtube when testing 131MB, i wonder if the lag is due to CPU overload.

Because, even if i experience some lags, it is very minimal.

Any advice woudl be very appreciated.

And thanks for this, again, awesome improvement.

Last edited by Mitrigol; 2012-06-18 at 19:35.

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ switzerland
Okay, so forget my last comment.
After a couple of hours, i faced the real lag/freeze. now i don't wonder anymore about this

The Following User Says Thank You to Mitrigol For This Useful Post:
Getting the following error in dmesg after certain amount of usage with both 64MB ramzswap and swap on SD enable. Also, happens when using only SD as swap.

Code:
 UBIFS error (pid 1022): make_reservation: cannot reserve 392 bytes in jhead 1, error -30

The Following User Says Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Oulu, Finland
Getting the following error in dmesg after certain amount of usage with both 64MB ramzswap and swap on SD enable. Also, happens when using only SD as swap.

Code:
 UBIFS error (pid 1022): make_reservation: cannot reserve 392 bytes in jhead 1, error -30
UBIFS is the file system on rootfs, isn't it? That should have nothing to do with ramzswap or µSD swapping.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raimu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Raimu View Post
UBIFS is the file system on rootfs, isn't it? That should have nothing to do with ramzswap or µSD swapping.
I am well aware, but prior to using compcache, I never faced such an error in 2 years.

The Following User Says Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Oulu, Finland
I am well aware, but prior to using compcache, I never faced such an error in 2 years.
1) How much rootfs space have you got available? My first guess was that it might be getting low.
2) Are you quite sure this stops happening when you stop using compcache or µSD?
3) Which way do you start up the use of compcache/µSD now?

It may be related to UBIFS characteristic - remember, UBIFS is very prone to filesystem corruption (basically, undestroyable, at least, when comared to journaling ones), and memory is constantly used for operations on files, before they're written to actual filesystem.

Of course it's just assumption, but I think that patlak might find something useful, to determine why compcache performs so poorly on N900.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!