Active Topics

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Ok, I shouldn't have indulged the Ovi sidetrack. Let's get back to How MeeGo Will Save the World.
Shameless P.R. stunt, I would have expected more from you :P

Anyhow, I actually would miss Ovi services, unlike what seems like the majority I find the N900 version of Ovi Maps quite useful. I'd miss it if it was not there.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
Shameless P.R. stunt, I would have expected more from you :P

Anyhow, I actually would miss Ovi services, unlike what seems like the majority I find the N900 version of Ovi Maps quite useful. I'd miss it if it was not there.
Yeah, I missed Wayfinder from the N800 for a moment, too. But my new phone's Google Navigation fixed that pretty quick. I'm sure MeeGo will have SOMETHING, even if it's not OviMaps. I get the feeling you won't miss OviMaps if there turns out to be something newer and better on MeeGo.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I don't recall ever getting an answer for my question... so the more things change, the more they stay the same?

Nokia, y'all gonna **** this up too?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Nokia, y'all gonna **** this up too?
Despite numerous and insistent protestations to the contrary, Nokia, as a company, seems incapable of listening to its customers, it community, and its core contributors and continues repeating the same mistakes they should've learned to avoid from past experience (how the support period keeps getting shorter is beyond my ability to comprehend).

I think it's now down to a question of severity

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2010-08-23 at 18:36.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
The technical problem is that newer kernels remove interfaces Maemo 5 needs to run properly. And well, Maemo 5 is closed source and it's a wrong attitude to let closed source block kernel upgrades.
It's usually not too hard to forward-port things from older kernels. Even annoying closed blobs and their wrappers.
I've done it a few times.