Notices

Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
would anyone know or guide me on how to change the speedometer limit from 200km/h to 260km/h which fits more closely with my actual vehicle's gauge?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by sicelo View Post
would anyone know or guide me on how to change the speedometer limit from 200km/h to 260km/h which fits more closely with my actual vehicle's gauge?
But where would you go that fast at your local area?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 680 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
When the coppers are looking the other way, haha. What I've found is that OBD can show as much as 255km/h or mph depending, as there is only one byte for the speed. The idea peterleinchen is to have the N900 speedo at exactly the same 'angle' as the real speedo.

At least I've changed Km/h to km/h (looks odd with the big K) and rpm to 1/min (which my vehicle has)

Still going to purchase the ELM327, but the application looks neat overall.
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Maybe I'm abusing the thread .. my ELM327 arrived today. I'm happy.

pyobd on N900 can connect to it, but not ECU. Basically after ATE0 command sent to the ELM327, no more activity through pyobd.

Got a friend's Android, and Torque immediately started communicating and receiving sensor data.

i tried minicom on N900 but that was even worse. when i manually type ATZ, there's no response after hitting the "enter" key, and the prompt does not return. i think the connection is correct, as the ELM327 does light its LEDs while i type each of the letters "A" "T" and "Z." Maybe N900/minicom is not sending the correct "Return" key?

Will try again with minicom over the weekend and report back.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
in case anyone is able to help me test, or tell me where i'm making a mistake, here are my commands, all run as root

Code:
rfcomm bind 0 <bt_addr> 1
minicom -D /dev/rfcomm0 -b 9600
Also tried with "screen /dev/rfcomm0 9600" with no happy results

Got my pyobd finally working, by commenting out the whole ATE0 line.
However, pyobd freezes with time and no longer collects any data.

Anyway, getting somewhere
Car in question is a 1999 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor without a normal OBD port.

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Car in question is a 1999 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor without a normal OBD port.
Maybe that's the reason? Google search for "Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor obd" brings up few problems with various "dedicated" obd scanner devices and also some information about Mercedes Benz protocol incompatibility with many of them (I think you might have read the same threads on mbworld.org forums)... You could try to debug what's going through the port and check why it hangs.

By the way, I also drive a pretty old car with OBD and had similar problems (pyOBD not connecting or hanging with time), but solved them by increasing the timeout (it pops up during "connection" stage) significantly (to something close to 30 seconds or even longer). (by the way, list on http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scaner-ELM32...-/261766627015 says that ELM327 officially supports only Japanese gasoline C230's... also the website http://www.outilsobdfacile.com/vehic...-obd2/mercedes doesn't list the 1999 C230 as compatible... but maybe these lists are incomplete)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
in case anyone is able to help me test, or tell me where i'm making a mistake, here are my commands, all run as root

Code:
rfcomm bind 0 <bt_addr> 1
minicom -D /dev/rfcomm0 -b 9600
Also tried with "screen /dev/rfcomm0 9600" with no happy results
baud rate 9600? not sure about this specific device, but elm327 can operate in 9600 or 38400, maybe try the latter? And the "raw" protocol supports 4800, 9600, 10400 and various other (see e.g. http://www.obdtester.com/obd2_protocols , but you would have to dig further, I don't remember exactly and I'm not even sure you should use these when connecting via elm327 and/or bluetooth)

The Following User Says Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
my MB is definitely supported. i can talk to the ECU and access all sensors that are exposed on the OBD (38-pin). On the last list you included, the C230 Kompressor has exactly same engine and engine management as the SLK 230 Kompressor of the same year. The response for OBD '01 00' is the same (same readable sensors)

Will investigate further however, and report back ..

The timeout number in the "connection" dialog is in seconds? or minutes? unfortunately there are no units to guide you.

at this time however Misiak, I want to talk at least through minicom or other terminal. the idea is to then see where pyobd goes wrong, and patch it (hopefully). also, pyobd doesn't read freeze frame data for now, and i'd like to get that, as well as pending codes.

so far no success at all with a terminal, be it minicom, putty (windows), and screen. i am using the exact same connection parameters as pyobd, but can't even get the prompt

Originally Posted by misiak View Post
baud rate 9600? not sure about this specific device, but elm327 can operate in 9600 or 38400, maybe try the latter? And the "raw" protocol supports 4800, 9600, 10400 and various other (see e.g. http://www.obdtester.com/obd2_protocols , but you would have to dig further, I don't remember exactly and I'm not even sure you should use these when connecting via elm327 and/or bluetooth)
tried 38400 as well. same situation. it's like the device does not receive the "Enter" key. I've tried Ctrl+J, Ctrl+M, turning off flow control, with no luck. Weirdness. But pyobd can communicate with it (using 9600 baud).

Device shows that it 'receives' each character i type (ATZ for example) by blinking its LED, but on hitting Enter, complete 'silence'

Last edited by sicelo; 2016-04-01 at 22:31. Reason: added more info