Posts: 54 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Oulu, Finland
i've recently been converting video for the 810 to various formats to see if i can get playback as good as the ones i've been downloading. I've tried avi and mp4 containers with xvid, 263, 264 and mpeg-4 compression. The results haven't been so good for me though. some give no picture, some give about 1fps, some a bit more, but never as good as stuff i've downloaded.

BTW these attempts all play great with vlc on linux, its just playing them on the 810 with mplayer thats dodgy.

when ripping, are there recommended settings that you shouldnt exceed so my playback is smooth and trouble free?

thanks.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
try SUPER encoder with settings like these:
400x240 pixel
25 frames/second
aac or mp3 audio
avi container with for example mpeg4 codec

works for me.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
See my sig for the Nokia IT Video Converter software. It's a simple drag-and-drop tool (i.e., no hardcore tweker settings) which produces videos that's designed for optimal playback in the native media player (NOT mplayer)

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vbrilon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vbrilon View Post
See my sig for the Nokia IT Video Converter software.
But maybe, just maybe, he wants to use a converter runnning on linux for this task?

The Following User Says Thank You to Nikem For This Useful Post:
Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Hey Leke;

I'm on Linux too, and I like to use tablet-encode by Jaffa: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...6&postcount=31

The mplayer preset works perfectly; it's a perl script for mencoder, I think, but a very good one -- you could look at it and see what it's doing. (It has command line and gui modes though, very handy.) I have it set up to automatically convert anything I download.

mediaconverter2 is also nice; it's java based, also uses mencoder.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ldrn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Originally Posted by Nikem View Post
But maybe, just maybe, he wants to use a converter runnning on linux for this task?
Could be -- he didn't say. If he's on Linux then there's no shortage of software available to him. I recommend Andrew Flagg's tablet-encode script

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

The Following User Says Thank You to vbrilon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vbrilon View Post
Could be -- he didn't say. If he's on Linux then there's no shortage of software available to him. I recommend Andrew Flagg's tablet-encode script
I was just kidding, but at last he said:
Originally Posted by leke
BTW these attempts all play great with vlc on linux
And yes , I forgot to point to tablet-encode, of course.

If storage space isn't a problem, go for high bitrate MPEG1. It plays back very well in mplayer, but you have to use much higher bitrates for good quality. Example, I can make an very good quality 800x480 video play smoothly on the Nokia in MPEG1, but for similar quality to WMV or h.264 it's going to be over twice the file size and won't have a chance of playing on the Nokia.

#EDIT- when I said it's going to be over twice the size, I meant the high bitrate MPEG1 will be over twice the size of the WMV or h.264, but both of those formats won't play well on the Nokia.

Last edited by Catalyst; 2008-05-26 at 01:00.

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Oulu, Finland
thanks! i use linux. i should make it a little clearer though (avatar idea). i'm using avidemux at the moment, but to be honest there are a settings there that are a little hardcore for me. it does have a great little append feature that is useful for appending short clips i have taken with my camera.
well thanks for the recommendations - lots to keep me busy with.