I love Modest, but I'm getting some really annoying behavior that only occurs when Modest is installed. I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same thing:

Every day, I leave home with my N810 to go to work, where I do not have a wireless internet connection. Sometime during the day, my N810 tries to connect to the network and brings up the "Select Wireless Access Point" dialog, but the device is in my pocket, so I don't see it. This dialog keeps re-trying for as long as it's up, which continually drains my battery. If I happen to see the dialog and dismiss it, it comes back later and resumes draining my battery. By the time I get home, my battery is nearly dead.

This didn't happen with older versions of Modest, and at first I thought it was a problem with the automatic mail-checking option, but disabling that option did not eliminate the problem. I had to uninstall Modest completely.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Has anyone else experienced this behavior?
Well, I opened bug # 3040, "Modest attempts connection to servers when Update Automatically disabled", a few weeks ago. You might try it on for size.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Thanks, sjgadsby, but I have a slightly different symptom - not a connection error, but rather Maemo's "Select connection" dialog (the one with the list of access points) appears.

Also, regarding your bug, have you tried restarting your tablet after disabling the "Update Automatically" checkbox? I discovered in my testing that I had to restart the device after removing Modest in order to actually stop the "Select connection" dialog from appearing and draining my battery. I think the modest daemon may continue to run in the background even after uninstalling modest (until a restart).

(Obviously, having to restart the tablet is not ideal, but it may help the developers to know if restarting helps.)

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
...I have a slightly different symptom - not a connection error, but rather Maemo's "Select connection" dialog (the one with the list of access points) appears.
My thought was that it might be the same underlying bug. Modest wants to connect to servers when it should be sitting quietly, which leads to me seeing connection failures and you seeing desperate attempts at finding a means of connection.

You're probably right though; it's better to enter them as two separate bugs. I only guessed that these two symptoms are related, and marking a duplicate, if necessary, is easier for the maemo folks than splitting.

Also, regarding your bug, have you tried restarting your tablet after disabling the "Update Automatically" checkbox?
Thank you for the suggestion, but yes, this behaviour persisted across a number of reboots and even battery swaps. I've since turned on automatic updates though, so while I still see the error messages, they no longer seem out of place.

Originally Posted by alephito View Post
Is there any way to downgrade from version 17 to 16? I used to follow Qole method, but he was smart enough to avoid last upgrade...
I think with Modest - we have a new trend now - where downgrading to a lesser working version is the new "upgrade".

Just out of curiosity: can I get feedback of some users using modest with a non gmail-imap configuration. It seems the gmail bug was fixed with the 17-2 release.
But what about imap users not using gmail? especially those who run a private mail server (like hmailserver)?

Any troubles with modest?
Don't get me wrong modest seems perfect for my needs, but it keeps crashing, even with the latest release.

If I start it from the command line it only tells me "segmentation fault", which is not really helpfull on tracing the error down.

Any comments?

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Hi!

Originally Posted by solico View Post
But what about imap users not using gmail? especially those who run a private mail server (like hmailserver)?

Any troubles with modest?
I am using my own Imap Server for my domain. It's courier-imap, and I use SSL access on port 993.

I had some trouble a couple of weeks ago when I had to open/close/refresh/pray/open/refresh my inbox folder several times to get Modest to show my Mails. But that bug is gone for quite a while. So I can honestly say: I don't have any troubles with Modest. :-)

Regards,

Larde.

The Following User Says Thank You to Larde For This Useful Post:
Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Originally Posted by solico View Post
Just out of curiosity: can I get feedback of some users using modest with a non gmail-imap configuration. It seems the gmail bug was fixed with the 17-2 release.
I run a mail server using exim and dovecot - I've never had problems with IMAP, but I don't use SSL. I used to have problems sending over TLS because I use a custom certificate, but that works with 17.2 (I just get a warning message)

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Well, I guess it's back to Modest W10 or W12. I'll try removing all traces of Modest from my system first.

Why? Because I'm getting bizarre memory full errors, and brontide pointed me towards Modest...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Well, I guess it's back to Modest W10 or W12. I'll try removing all traces of Modest from my system first.

Why? Because I'm getting bizarre memory full errors, and brontide pointed me towards Modest...
I think I might do the same - at least W10 wasn't draining my battery. Thanks for posting those old versions.

Tags
mail modest