Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
This missing desktop+ is the worst thing that has happened to any of the Nokia tablets, I think. I feel lucky that I already have it installed on my tablet, but I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have it.

I am very happy about my 9 desktops.

But I would like to scroll up and down and not only left and right.
I want my deskop to be a torus.

When I'm scrolling up the desktop of 3*left should appear and when I'scrolling down the desktop of 3*right should appear.

Getting 9 screens is easy enough once you can find the instructions. Just install Matan's modified hildon home and enter this code in terminal (as root):

gconftool -s /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/views/active -t list --list-type int [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9]

See more instructions in this link (seems overly complicated but at least you get some pictures of some really hot desktops).

http://www.lookatbowen.com/2010/10/h...our-nokia-n900

Also I seem to remember the maker of Desktop + this week posting where to find the app now. Don't know which thread it was, maybe search for the Desktop + thread.

Desktop+ has been re-released by its developper, look for the official thread on this site.

But I have an issue, now that I have my 9 screens, from time to time a lot of my widgets will stop responding to touch. Meaning I could click on them and nothing at all would happen. I have tried a "killall hildon-home" but that just removes most widgets from my desktops. I am forced to restart all the time. I wanted to know, is the command killall hildon-home the equivalent of ending task Explorer.exe on a Windows system?

Also, for those who can't change background and/or are lazy like me, just assign whatever wallpaper you want on desktop1, then open a file manager app (I use CuteExplorer since by default it will open home/user and you just have to click on Show Hidden), copy the background-1.png file, paste it, and rename it to 6 or wtv desktop you want that wallpaper on
easy

The Following User Says Thank You to IsaacDFP For This Useful Post:
so...Nobody else is having problems with their 9 homescreens? I also have to reassign at least half my widgets at every restart
Do you think it's actually one of my app that is causing the issue? I haven't really installed much since I tweaked hildon-home/desktop

Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
so...Nobody else is having problems with their 9 homescreens? I also have to reassign at least half my widgets at every restart
Do you think it's actually one of my app that is causing the issue? I haven't really installed much since I tweaked hildon-home/desktop
Desktop Execution command Widget causes the hildon-home to crash. If you have it running, remove it.

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Getting 9 screens is easy enough once you can find the instructions. Just install Matan's modified hildon home and enter this code in terminal (as root):

gconftool -s /apps/osso/hildon-desktop/views/active -t list --list-type int [1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9]

See more instructions in this link (seems overly complicated but at least you get some pictures of some really hot desktops).

http://www.lookatbowen.com/2010/10/h...our-nokia-n900

Also I seem to remember the maker of Desktop + this week posting where to find the app now. Don't know which thread it was, maybe search for the Desktop + thread.
The application you are looking for is MaeModder by Dany-69 (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=67989), and it now does the multiple desktops automatically, and allows one to select the backgrounds for each desktop setup. That is just one of many things this brilliant application can do.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Why? For me, fewer is better. I have three now, seems OK, but two would be even better.

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya View Post
Nevertheless, I made a set of 9 simple black background .pngs, each with a small grid on the top right corner indicating which screen of the 3x3 you are in, mainly to provide an idea on which way to swipe to get to where you are going to. It's not that useful now, but I'll keep dreaming
No need to do this, just download from the APP Manager on your N900 an application called Active Desktop Statusbar Icon. It sits next to your ISP signal icon or WIFI icon and tells you which desktop you are on. It is very discreet and does the job perfectly.

Note: The background does not belong to me. I got it from this forum thread, so thanks to iceman600 for sharing it.