What makes a sexy phone? What makes a purchase decision?

My observation of it is that firstly come the numbers you read on the reviews. First choices are made here.

Then come the important physical first impressions which can be a show stopper for many. Checking the build quality and the jewel factor. Curved glass, metal finish, joints etc.

After that comes the OS first impression where a fluent experience will buy off many. I think first iPhones sold here?

Only after all of this will come the so called ecosystem and software availability. We've already placed the phone ranking in our minds after the first three experiences and it takes more effort in this to change it.

Only technically or otherwise oriented people will make it other way around and most of us willingly or unwillingly sort our selections according to the above preferences.

It is vital for Jolla to be present and looking at it's best in some high end phone models. That sends a message straight to our hearts surpassing all rational thinking

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post:
Available software first. No Whatsapp- no sale. Which is unfortunate.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Veraendert For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Veraendert View Post
Available software first. No Whatsapp- no sale. Which is unfortunate.
iPhone had no whatsapp when it started. It was driver by the sexuality which attracted users and users attracted applications.

Nobody cares about whatsapp if the phone is crap because nobody wants to be second class user. On the other hand if the phone is something people desire it gets more users which creates more pressure to create applications.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
- The product that looks fashion and sounds hi-tech, like "retina" or whatsoever;

- Product that is ultra thin and needs external battery to use daily;

- The product can have availability of 100million junk apps and in-app-purchase games;

- Product that takes edited, smoothern skin selfie and colour saturated rear camera

- Product that is easier to understand by some stubborn minds, for example, a home button that can go back to home. And also make sure that all the apps user opened previously looks like running in the background

What a great product!!

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2017-06-29 at 10:42.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pexi View Post
iPhone had no whatsapp when it started. It was driver by the sexuality which attracted users and users attracted applications.

Nobody cares about whatsapp if the phone is crap because nobody wants to be second class user. On the other hand if the phone is something people desire it gets more users which creates more pressure to create applications.
When iphone started there was no whatsit

You cannot really compare the situation 12 years ago to what happens today; back then the current killer apps did not exist.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
You all seem to forget the most important desirability factor, which is the brand.

Why is it so that my son wants specifically Air Jordan shoes and not the arguably same quality generic label foorwear from supermarket?

Why is it that my wife is (not so) patientently waiting for the HMD Nokia 9 launch before purchasing a new phone even as her current device is flaking off the seams...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Mediocrity.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
You all seem to forget the most important desirability factor, which is the brand.
That is true, but brands come and go. I remember very well the time when Samsung was a fridge company.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That is true, but brands come and go. I remember very well the time when Samsung was a fridge company.
Good point! I remember when Nokia was a phone giant! Wonder what went wrong?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
What makes phone a success?
shi*ty os- (crapdr*id) and more than enough ram (6gb or 8gb)

The Following User Says Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post: