Notices

Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
Originally Posted by MSameer View Post
This is always the case. Sensor maximum resolution is in 4:3 aspect ratio. 16:9 most likely involves some kind of hardware cropping element. It's how it is in modern hardware
I have just read this and made some maths and your supposition is exactly right:

8Mpix means: 8 * 1024 * 1024 pix = 8.388.608 pix
It is a rectangle of 4 x 3, that means that the width (long side) is:
sqrt(8388608/4/3)*4 = 3344,37 pix

If we are cutting the photo to get a 16:9 one, we maintain the width but not the height, so in 16:9 the width is the same. Then the height (which have a 9:16 proportion to the width) is:
3344,37 * 9/16 = 1881,21

So the pix we have in a cropped 16:9 image are:
3344,37 * 1881,21 = 6.291.462

And 6 Mpix are: 6 * 1024 * 1024 = 6.291.456 pix

So, that's correct, 16:9 photos is got cropping them from 4:3.

(If you use more decimals you will get the exact same number).

PS: I am changing just now the camera to 4:3. If I would want to crop the photo, I will do it by myself.

Last edited by malkavian; 2014-06-12 at 20:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malkavian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 605 | Thanked: 1,778 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by malkavian View Post
PS: I am changing just now the camera to 4:3. If I would want to crop the photo, I will do it by myself.
Take care because if you crop it manually, you end up re-encoding the jpeg image which might lead to some artifacts.

The Following User Says Thank You to MSameer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
I doubt that but thank you. If am I sure I want something in 16:9 I will use it, but if not, I prefer to get more image and let it in 4:3.

I'd like to see more choices for crop. Sometimes I want the full resolution and crop later, reencodning isn't really an issue since I'll be adjusting contrast and colours anyway.

But mostly I prefer to get a finished picture in the camera. Especially if I'm using the phone. Sensor and lens isn't good enough for good pictures anyway and no raw format limits the possiblity for post work.

So, I wish for 1:1, 3:2 and 5:4.

Originally Posted by evk View Post
I'd like to see more choices for crop. Sometimes I want the full resolution and crop later, reencodning isn't really an issue since I'll be adjusting contrast and colours anyway.

But mostly I prefer to get a finished picture in the camera. Especially if I'm using the phone. Sensor and lens isn't good enough for good pictures anyway and no raw format limits the possiblity for post work.

So, I wish for 1:1, 3:2 and 5:4.
I'd like to have that too but I am limited by what the driver/camera HW itself can do.

In Sailfish it's an issue because I get jpeg images and I can't manually decode and crop because the quality will suffer.

I see. Better leave it as it is until that can be solved.

Could be usefull with a overlay, but I'm not sure it's worth the bother.

Is it possible to have a video mode that makes the file better suited for sending via mail or messenger services like Whatsapp? Even the lowest resolution available currently makes a 10 seconds video pretty big. I can record 30 second clips on my android phone that looks pretty ok and are smaller in size than a 10 second video with the lowest possible resolution in cameraplus.

Small bug: I have to click the record button twice in video mode to make it start recording.

Originally Posted by evk View Post
I see. Better leave it as it is until that can be solved.

Could be usefull with a overlay, but I'm not sure it's worth the bother.
It can be possible with some black border on top of the viewfinder and lossless cropping of the jpeg image (If everything is calculated correctly) but then we might have issues while zooming.

An alternative approach would be to have an image editing tool with lossless cropping functionality. I don't know if I will ever get to making that tool or not but I can help anyone trying to make it.

Originally Posted by latency View Post
Is it possible to have a video mode that makes the file better suited for sending via mail or messenger services like Whatsapp? Even the lowest resolution available currently makes a 10 seconds video pretty big. I can record 30 second clips on my android phone that looks pretty ok and are smaller in size than a 10 second video with the lowest possible resolution in cameraplus.
At the moment I am using the same bitrate for all videos. I need to fix that which should lead to decreased size for the lower resolutions.

I have an issue about that here: https://gitorious.org/projects/cameraplus/issues/33

Originally Posted by latency View Post
Small bug: I have to click the record button twice in video mode to make it start recording.
Sometimes it happens even in image mode

The Following User Says Thank You to MSameer For This Useful Post:
0.0.25 is out

- New icon by mcbook
- Do not prevent the flick to settings or post capture if the drag starts from the focus reticle
- Changing image resolution aspect ratio should re-position focus reticle correctly
- Reset touch focus when we switch between image and timer modes
- Touch focus now takes into account inverted landscape orientation

enjoy

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MSameer For This Useful Post: