Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
Guys,
Is it just me or others also can't download the file?
File is downloaded 17 times. I just checked from PC - it downloaded the attachment.

Trying to answer your concern...

Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
I have Multiboot install with NITDroid, I am unsure how to set this up so it works correctly with this mod. I know it has the 3 file locations:
/boot
/boot/multiboot
/etc/multiboot.d
I understand it is the /etc/multiboot.d/.......item files that give the options in the boot window. As much as I know
Excuse me, I hadn't chance to work with multiboot and can't answer on this question. But I know that multiboot can be configured to boot a kernel with root in any partition. So, it should be not a problem.

> If you want temporary return back to original vanilla UBIFS root file system you just boot with closed keyboard.
Ok, so if I understand you correctly. You are simply making a copy root file system into the 2gb home directory and using dualboot, multiboot etc to tell the system which root to use?
... and fix some issues which prevent running Maemo 5 with root FS in 2GB partition. Mounting /home, GSM/3G, GPS...

If so, when running with root in home directory, will all further installed files etc be located under this partition and then if boot normally, not installed or accessible?
Absolutely! You got a point.

> If you want a complete removal of Maemo 5 on eMMC - boot an original vanilla UBIFS and run M32GBrm.sh script - it completely removes eMMC root files and reverts back a dual boot too.
This sounds the ideal situation and much tidier one, is still a need for dual boot like this from a clean flash?
Clean flash is not needed to revert back from M32GB and dual boot. But see "precautions" - the package removal in /home root FS may corrupt the regular UBIFS system because both share /opt (or /home/opt). If some your action on one system changes the content of /opt (/home/opt) then the second system doesn't understand that. In worst case it may require the clean flash.

How can you confirm what your apps will come to in total and that 256 is enough, at best I have approx 60 apps installed and no idea what this takes up. Just want to be on the safe side.
I don't know the simple way. Try to use "storage usage" or similar package. Or just keep records of installed applications.

I am currently running a standard class 4 8gb card. I have 3 partitions and are as follows:
3.4gb free for use (fat32)
1.8gb NITDroid Installed (ext3)
2.5gb Allocated for Easy Debian though not installed yet (ext2)
Is it worth me setting the mccblk1p1 3.4gb for additional swap or to large and waste of space and class 4 not worthy ?
3.4GB for swap seems overkill. You can use sfdisk application to divide it. The regular swap (/dev/mmcblk0p3) is just 768MB.

So I think that may answer my previous question before about installed files not working in the other root loction, totally independent by sounds of things.
Besides /opt (/home/opt) - it is common for both installations.

So sounds as if this mod is best done after a complete FIASCO & eMMC flash and totally relocate the eMMC root system and then install all apps so clean and tidy.
You don't need a clean UBIFS for using M32GB. I still never did a single root/eMMC flash from Dec of last year.

That said, would you want or need multiboot then?
It depends from your goal. You can remember the 2 groups of potential users which I referred to - system software developers and power users. System software developer needs the capability to run both systems - modify a /home installation, boot it... crash... then reboot back an original from UBIFS and research logs etc.

Power user is not needed the reboot to original one... well usually. But it seems unwise to delete dual boot capability from them.

If we are not and simply running apps and say NITDroid or Debian etc the 2gb should be enough shouldn't it, it is only the apps and root that use it?
I don't understand that, can you elaborate?

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Australia
when i try to run the M32GBboot.sh,
it shows:
/sbin/preinit is a modified (non-pr1.2) version. Stop

is this supposed to happen?

Originally Posted by rooted View Post
20% more standby time? Bigger root size? Roughly same speeds? Less CPU intensive? Seriously? Nokia's rootfs decision @ N900 = FAIL

I think that 256MB OneNAND chip should've been used for swap and 32GB eMMC for system + home + files. Oh, we can still do (fix) that

And of course ext3 should've been everywhere, but let's not get into that...
I disagree, I like the current setup as it lets you reflash your phone without destroying your music, settings, etc. Quite nice.

The 100% dedicated to root is useful for some people, but I think Nokia did the right decision for how to ship out of the box. I wish they had made it just a _little_ larger, though.

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ USA
Question.. could we put the swap on the nad(i know it only 256MB)after we do the movements(with you script of course) then unmount it and format to linux swap? and since its faster(nad)wouldnt we have better proformance?

ps: the average swap usage is ~96.sumthin out of 767.99. ram is there to be used right?

and thanks for sharing your work

Originally Posted by werks View Post
when i try to run the M32GBboot.sh,
it shows:
/sbin/preinit is a modified (non-pr1.2) version. Stop

is this supposed to happen?
You did install some package which modified /sbin/preinit - checksum doesn't compare with PR1.2. I don't know what to do in this case - dual boot can't be installed with bootmenu or multiboot or whatever. Script doesn't continue.

Originally Posted by humble View Post
Question.. could we put the swap on the nad(i know it only 256MB)after we do the movements(with you script of course) then unmount it and format to linux swap? and since its faster(nad)wouldnt we have better proformance?
You can't use UBIFS as swap or format it in any way. N900 bootloader (forget it's exact name) boots /sbin/preinit from UBIFS. Changing that requires bootloader modification and flashing it into MTD0 (or MTD1 - I don't remember for a moment).

Besides of that it has no big sense - swap functions in kernel use a big blocks for swapping, so there is no advantage in OneNAND UBIFS vs microSD. It is a little faster, of course, but it would be interesting to test Class 10 and see.

What I am thinking at a moment - put /var/lib/gconf back to UBIFS - there is an opinion that OneNAND gives a benefit for write access of short files and GCONF writes very often. Of course - stop compression of /var/lib/gconf to slash CPU usage. But it is still in idea stage.

ps: the average swap usage is ~96.sumthin out of 767.99. ram is there to be used right?
I think it is trackerd - I tried to stop it tracking of UBIFS but it seems it is not enough. My N900 has around 10GB of video on MyDocs and it seems the tracker processes it each time then I reboot /home root after it's initialization by M32GBinit.sh - finally I noted that.

So - please don't expect a fast reaction at first one hour after M32GBinit.sh, tracker eats all performance and fast response. (One hour in my N900, if you have less Video files it would be shorter for you).

Ok, here is my repartion idea, can you say if it is possible at all:
On NAND:
~50 MB: partition(s) with bootmenu and tools for edit bootmenu settings, mounting the eMMC to usb etc..
the rest for swap
On eMMC:
~200 or more MB for 2nd swap
the rest of 2th ext3 rootfs
And enventually on SD card:
~200 or more MB for 3rd swap
The rest of other OS, FAT32 crap etc...
The ideal would be custom img of rootfs ans eMMC for easy (re)flashing.
I have not the knowledge to do it but what do you think of that ?

@coffee - I ran my OS from SD in my 800 and 810, I run another embedded device's OS from a card. For my needs/wants it suits me well; I'd rather burn through some SD cards than the NAND. I know it's a myth blah blah write cycles write cycles etc....I just like it that way

Anyone have this working with multiboot yet? Can you share your .item substance I've not had a lot of time to muck with it and have failed getting it to boot a few times. Thanks!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
This looks great. I will probably try it soon. I got a super 32 GB card hoping this would become an option.