Posts: 65 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Berlin
so nokia is dead, jolla too, kinda, maybe,

but

isn't that a chance? What ever happens to the old devices? There are so many good ideas in it. Why not put all that old stuff (hw + sw) in open license for everyone to use?

So one could just print say, an old sony clie, or an nokia n950 and put sfos on it?

Well, I know, it's nothing easy to do, but just a thought.

I thing we're not even seen all the possibilities of 3d-Printing yet. Tohkbd has shown it the future will be in putting standard parts in custum devices buildt at home printed yourself.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
I'm afraid we still have a long way until we can print a whole mobile phone from scratch on a 3D printer.

Even TOHKBD is kinda pushing the margins here - on a professional 3D printer in Shapeways. So there is still even some time left until one will be able to reliably print TOHKBD parts on a home-class 3D printer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Berlin
I know, and even so tohkbd isn't as good as a professional one made by nokia or the fruit company.

But I'll see it more like a pfroof of concept - it can be done! And that's wat jolla's done too.

What I was proposing it that It should be possible to use good ideas again, without having to start from scratch every time. Kinda like sampling music.

It occurs to me that that'll be more and more possible in the (near) future.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
At the moment at least, you can only 3D-print plastics. Not just any plastics, you need special plastics for that. An electronic device contains more than just plastics. Stanislaw Lem kind of future where you put some sand (silicon), coal (carbon) and water (hydrogen + oxygen) in a receptable, press a button and the device will assemble your phone for you on an atomic level is still, well, future. Or am I missing something?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Stanislaw Lem kind of future
Yikes, a Stanislaw Lem reference! (Gotta give props for mentioning my favorite sci-fi author.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: