Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
I really really really want to see Maemish burst out in creativity and pick our next Topic, so apart from all Photographic measures i vote for him to support his current lead

That also makes it easy to not have to choose between the great entries and allows me to praise what stands out for me in each one of them equally.

1. john_god, "Plan B", Samsung J4+, reduced in GIMP

Thanks for letting me smell holidays!
Very crisp shot. I like how one can estimate there is water/sea in the background form the washed away footprints.

2. Fellfrosh, "A view on the Earth from above", Pro1, panorama stitched in Hugin

Thanks for the panorama inspiration. Yours is nicely subtile when compared to my obvious perspective twists Great colors, feels cosy after your edit in gimp.

3. Maemish, "Grounded to a rock", N900 with BlessN900, reduced to 77%
Man what a shot. The community knows you as a creative guy already but this one is outright professionally looking. Since you did not crop, bonus points for the good "third division" and spacing around your subject.

4. pichlo, "View from office window", Jolla 1, no editing

I would have loved to see your attempt in hugins since the topic and your two photos invite that option so much. You actually made me do my own panorama since i first tried to stitch your images together to see what fellfrosch was doing all together but miserably failed due to your posted versions missing exif info hugins needs to calculate the lens corrections.
Only then i went the 50km out to hambach and was surprised by how many pictures i had to take to cover the hole from my given pov.
It was a bliss and much fun to stitch the original camera output together but when looking at the result it felt a little overdone :P
Might i ask for your original images to try again or even give incentive for you to try again for yourself?
That smudge was not an issue since the other image would overlay that part but all automatic options to find "key points" hugins offered failed due to missing info in the pics and i was not able to enter the values correctly by chance.

5. juiceme, "Icefall", Xperia X, retouched in GIMP

Wow.
A tiny little off center and the top left corner thingy disturbs a little. But the overall perfect use of portrait orientation makes up for it. I really like it.

6. kinggo, "The earth, the essence", XZ2, retouched in GIMP

Great idea and skilful execution
Comparing in line with the other entries it lacks a bit in variety of colors but also that creates a fitting mood.
Plus points for physical exercise while using the Spade.

7. chenliangchen, "No camping", Pro1, no editing, original photo here

Nice to have you as new (returning) regular now that you made yourself a decent camera phone
I really like the Photos multiple contrast with blue sky, those detailed snowy mountains "fading" towards you, playing against the darker trees.
Some cropping or a little wider vantage point (perspective?) to place the trees with some more spacing to the border would have been a tad better imo. But that would be a matter of more takes and more time to select i guess

8. mosen, "The Hambach hole", Pro1, panorama stitched in Hugin

I was trying to cover too much area and overdid the panorama imo. Still i got it as laptop background now to sport some local spirit

9. ric9K, "Earth eating back human's hardware", N900, fcam, no editing

Already said i love the strong leading lines. Now looking at it longer i dig the cool ray of light or lens flare in the center even more. Keep it up!
Very artistic overall.

10. robthebold, "Earth emerging from snow", Xperia X, no editing

Yesterday was our only day of snow this Winter with awesome 8 hours of snow fall but it all melted fast on the wet warm surface.
Also Yesterday i went to the auto repair shop of my trust and ordered to mount summer tires for today, during it snowed outside.
Act anticyclical ftw since i was the only customer for the day. Luckily its >6°C again today
Your Photo shines through nice contrast and sharp details around the snow imo.

Special thanks to pichlo for again setting up the voting. Your so quick!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
This reminds me of some archived stuff in my "basement of wonder":

My grandmother studied German (just the language, AFAIK) in college about 100 years ago, and was therefore able to translate some of her grandfather's letters received from his relatives "back home" somewhere in Westphalia.

We still have these translated pages. One such letter -- from a brother, I believe -- said that they'd finally found use for the grove of trees my great, great grandfather had planted before emigrating. They cut them down an burned them, of course!
I have a hard time to understand your pun. But I can see, that I was a bit lazy when writing that sentence. Anyway, I'm sure there are reasons pro and con.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:
I was right... It was better not show ugly picture which i took...

I think Maemish need to win this one, with his talent, this show it all, or maybe no all, but anyway...

...but I vote #5 juiceme

And others... Really great pictures... Wow! I'm honored to see those!

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
#1. john_god, "Plan B", Samsung J4+, reduced in GIMP
- Nice and sharp sandy beach shot, the strips of pavement at the bottom and smoother sand at the top border the picture in a pleasant way.

#2. Fellfrosh, "A view on the Earth from above", Pro1, panorama stitched in Hugin
- Amazing depth and the clarity of the sky is just stunning. This sure would be one of my favourite snowboarding spots!

#3. Maemish, "Grounded to a rock", N900 with BlessN900, reduced to 77%
- This absolutely nails down the topic this month; the ring is so earthly as can be and evokes feeling of being fastened down to the core of the planet. The mood in the picture is just wonderful, and the texture is fantastic!

#4. pichlo, "View from office window", Jolla 1, no editing
- The countryside as it is, very earthly. Rainbow divides the picture nicely into thirds.

#5. juiceme, "Icefall", XperiaX/Piggz AC , retouched in GIMP
- I aimed to get the nice colours of the rocky cliff to contrast with the dividing icefall, and I think the portrait format was a good choice to fill the frame. I am quite happy wiht the Piggz camera, it seems to consistently produce better quality pictures than the stock camera.

#6. kinggo, "The earth, the essence", XZ2, retouched in GIMP
- Very good shot of the stuff itself, and also capturing the humble dweller of the earth. The texture of the ground is almost tangible.

#7. chenliangchen, "No camping", Pro1, no editing
- Very nice diagonals, I sure would like to camp here

#8. mosen, "The Hambach hole", Pro1, panorama stitched in Hugin
- The size of this feature is just incredible, it is very difficult to convey it on an image, even with panorama. I'd love to see even more detail on it, to be able to zoom into the excavation machines.

#9. ric9K, "Earth eating back human's hardware", N900, fcam, no editing
- Very strong picture, again something that fits the topic smack in the middle of what I intended. Wonderful mood, strong lines, nice detail on the foreground objetc.

#10. robthebold, "Earth emerging from snow", Xperia X, no editing
- Nice springtime picture, is it acorns or snail shells down there around the snowy patch? I think a tighter crop down the left side would have benefitted the picture.

In my mind there are 2 pictures which are clearly superior here, #3 maemish and #9 ric9K. The nice thing is that both have been captured with N900, which alleviates the fact that the age of the hardware is irrelevant when comparing to the eye of the artist who is taking and making the picture.
My vote goes to @maemish this time, but only just and just!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post

@chen can you say something about the location?
It was taken on the way to Ben Nevis, UK and Scotland's highest peak. Near Fort William in West Highlands. I also went to the treatment located at the bottom of the hills.

I also vote for #3 Maemish and look forward to the next one!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
It was taken on the way to Ben Nevis, UK and Scotland's highest peak. Near Fort William in West Highlands. I also went to the treatment located at the bottom of the hills.
Thanks!
So was right with my thoughts. I was there already two times. First time in Summer next time in spring. It looks like I have to go there again, but this time in winter! It looks realy beautiful in this time of the year andI think Fort William will not be that crowded with tourists...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
#10. robthebold, "Earth emerging from snow", Xperia X, no editing
- Nice springtime picture, is it acorns or snail shells down there around the snowy patch? I think a tighter crop down the left side would have benefitted the picture.
I had the same thought, that the acorns do look like broken snail shells. But acorns they are of the Quercus palustris tree. It's considered short-lived by tree standards (< 120 years).

I agree that tightening the frame on the snow would have helped my entry, and I tried to find a better crop for my picture, but wasn't successful in making it look better than the original. I'm gonna see if your suggestion works.

And I vote for #9. ric9K. Both of those N900 entries using alternative camera apps really have a nice mood to them well suited to the subject.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
I vote #9. ric9K

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
It was taken on the way to Ben Nevis
Wow, really? And there was I thinking it was somewhere in the Rockies.
I've climbed Ben Nevis, but only once and about 15 years ago. Perhaps it's time I went again.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Voting ends on Sunday mid-morning (UTC).
And the time has cometh!

The results:

Maemish: 7 (Amboss, eson, DDark, john_god, mosen, juiceme, chenliangchen)
chenliangchen: 4 (Pentona, peterleinchen, Maemish, Fellfrosh)
ric9K: 3 (kinggo, robthebold, nonsuch)
kinggo: 1 (pichlo)
juiceme 1 (catbus)

By the powers vested in me (i.e., none), I hereby declare Maemish the winner of the February 2020 camera phone competition.

Maemish, the floor is your. Nominate the March theme.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
camera phone, competition