Active Topics

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
Has anyone tried the Transcend 8GB?

http://www.monstronix.com/ts8gsdhc-p-285264.html

seems really cheap for 8GB
8GB => SDHC => No worky (until future firmware update).

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
1:

SD <=4GB - byte addressed cards. 4GB is the max (was supposed to be 2GB, but some manufacturers have produced 4GB cards - device compatability is questionable, some may work, others may not)

SDHC >= 4GB - block addressed. 32GB is the max. Not supported in the N800 yet, needs a kernel update.

2:

A 4GB SD (and not SDHC) card that doesn't work today most likely won't work in future. The compatability of 4GB byte-addressed cards is not really part of the SD standard, although some cards obviously do work just fine in the N800. If you have a 4GB SD card that doesn't work it's not likely to be a N800 driver issue but most likely a problem with the card itself.

Just want to confirm that my 4GB Transcend TS4GSDC is giving me alot of problems. It is very flakey. One minute it seems to work, the next minute it doesn't. This is even after I formatted it with my N800. Plugging in the USB cable will not detect it either. Virtual memory also will not work. At this point, I don't know what else to try?

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Caveat emptor: the word is that SDHC cards do NOT work on the N800. Any card over 4GB or stating a "class" (as in "class 2", 4, 6...) is a SDHC card.

After all these good and interesting posts I am sad to report that my N800 died and will no longer boot

After contacting Nokia NL we agreed to send it back to Belgium today for an exchange. (This because it is within the 7 days legal period.)

I serious consider buying a second N800 for my dev needs.....
( To have one "use" and "dev" machine just in case.)

To be continued.

ok can confirm that the 4gb cards I bought

http://www.mobymemory.com/proddetail...Y%5F4096%5F001

work perfectly. filled them up with various audio, video, jpgs, pdfs and text data and everything is good, can move from card to card in 800, everything opens, plays, the lot.

one quick tip - the internal card only gets recognized when you put the back cover back on!

Posts: 165 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Boston MA USA
Another happy camper here: Transcend TS4GSD150 ($66.08 each, see link) working fine. Took roughly 30 minutes to fill one card with high quality VBR MP3s (lame --alt-preset standard, 52 albums, 922 files) over a USB connection. All accessible and playing fine. Next task: suck down a bunch of maps... ;-)

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch...iteria=BA22932

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Can everyone confirm if swap/virtual memory works on their working 4GB SD card. Which brand and model number are you using?

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Canada

N800 ordered from TigerDirect - ETA Friday PM!!!!!

Is there any logic to the thought that perhaps if one were to stick to a 2GB card for the internal slot for swap/virtual memory etc one might get away with using a Transcent 4GB 150x in the external slot as perhaps the N800 would write less frequently to the external than the internal slot?

Any expert or experienced opinion/advice on this?

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by Beefy6969 View Post
Can everyone confirm if swap/virtual memory works on their working 4GB SD card. Which brand and model number are you using?
Works on Transcend TS4GSD150, used internally (did not try it externally).

I applied the linux SDHC patch by Philip Langdale and recompiled the kernel. I can now see both my 4GB SDHC cards. I can write and read too. However, I just tried creating a 1.8Gb file using dd and after a short time I got a reboot. Only seems to have written 60Mb of it. Still, I doubt it'll be long before we've got SDHC support