Closed Thread
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Chicago
This is the type of thread I come to this community to read. Thank you Harri.

I know you and your team are busy, but could you consider adding a native integrated spellchecker to MeeGo? Being able to spellcheck e-mail, IM and notes as you type (as well as posts to the Web) is something that should be part of the core OS.

Please continue to post, this community needs to be able to have a meaningful conversation with Nokia.

This is fantastic. There will be MeeGo on the N900, and Nokia will practically develop it for us. MeeGo is open source, and we will get a "reference" version that can be modded and hacked by the community. In addition closed HW drivers will be available.

Of course we also have Maemo PR1.2 that is virtually source code compatible with MeeGo apps.

Time to stop whining and be happy Nokia has delivered something, and much more, and much greater, than any phone manufacturer (incl Nokia) has ever done. Yesterday I was sure I would get a N8, not anymore

The Following User Says Thank You to bsving For This Useful Post:
Thanks Harri, I'm really pleased you are Nokia project lead in this project as it gives me a lot of confidence in it being done and done right. As always, your comments and updates are very informative and very welcome.

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Originally Posted by Dunsurfin View Post
I know you and your team are busy, but could you consider adding a native integrated spellchecker to MeeGo? Being able to spellcheck e-mail, IM and notes as you type (as well as posts to the Web) is something that should be part of the core OS.
That is more of a feature request toward the MeeGo project. A good place to raise issues like this is the MeeGo-dev [http://lists.meego.com/listinfo/meego-dev] mailing list .

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tekojo For This Useful Post:
Regarding OpenGLES implementation from SGX:

Even if it's closed source, is it licensed in such a way that allows its redistribution as part of community-supported MeeGo releases?

What are its dependencies, and how will the community be able to carry this binary blob forward, maintaining compatibility with the evolving platform?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by jacktanner View Post

Even if it's closed source, is it licensed in such a way that allows its redistribution as part of community-supported MeeGo releases?

What are its dependencies, and how will the community be able to carry this binary blob forward, maintaining compatibility with the evolving platform?
There's Nokians participating in this team and they can provide these things through a tablets-dev.nokia.com repository. Keep in mind that Nokia didn't say 'we aren't putting resources towards the MeeGo on N900 hardware adaptation team'. It isn't just community, it's MeeGo project doing this. Which, as you can remember, has Intel and Nokia as backers.

They said 'no commercial support', which is meant as no, you can't call Nokia Care about your problems with it and it isn't a Nokia product. That the adaptation will technically work quite well, is another thing..
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 360 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Pirkkala, Finland
Originally Posted by jacktanner View Post

We are currently serving that and other closed blobs from Nokia repository at tablets-dev.nokia.com , so at least that will be available also later.

We are discussing about lisence model with TI at the moment, as that piece of sw is lisenced via them for OMAP hw. I don't want to speculate what the end result of those talks will be, but we do know the problem that you are talking about.

As far as understand, it only depends on kernel driver that in turn is open source, so it should be relatively easy to maintain also in the future.

Br,
//Harri

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to harrihakulinen For This Useful Post:
So what does this mean for other closed source components like OVI Maps and Skype and Microbrowser (Flash 10.1). Will those be part of this community supported adaptation?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Thank you guys, great news.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 360 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Pirkkala, Finland
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
So what does this mean for other closed source components like OVI Maps and Skype and Microbrowser (Flash 10.1). Will those be part of this community supported adaptation?
It is not completely clear, what is the best way to integrate these kind of 3rd party closed applications. MeeGo project itself is supposed to work only on open source, and we are trying to emphasize that at least now.

Community can of course decide that it make's sense to offer a way or another to integrate these, or to provide nice and smart application installer also for closed apps or something.

However, I expect that all of the companies behind of the mentioned closed sw applications are also interested to help in the integration process ..

Br,
//Harri

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harrihakulinen For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread