Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Good. Is pretty useless! Save your money for some more highend devices.

Infact, I'm very interested in doing so. But not yet. I have one Gold and let me tell you. It's one bad device. .
No, it's not a bad device! I don't know why you keep dissing the Xperia X - I know yours is making some touch related trouble but regarding the few complaints about that in the forums (I followed your links) it seems to be only a problem of very view devices - mine (a grey one though) doesn't show that behaviour and it's my second daily driver since April (still need two mobiles for two SIM cards for two countries...)
It's true, that it's not worth the price Sony asked for in first place (which mobile is ... ) but as they're available for less then the half now ... I got mine new (with damaged package and missing charger) for £150 back in April - decent camera, 32GB, SD, not too big ...

if Jolla gets the camera working properly and a newer Android runtime (drivers should be available as it's running nougat 7.1.1 and lineage) I'll be a happy sailor

would be even more happy if they release an image for the Z1 compact ;-) so I can reactivate it from the drawer and replace my Jolla1

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by elastic View Post
No, it's not a bad device! I don't know why you keep dissing the Xperia X - I know yours is making some touch related trouble but regarding the few complaints about that in the forums (I followed your links) it seems to be only a problem of very view devices - mine (a grey one though) doesn't show that behaviour and it's my second daily driver since April (still need two mobiles for two SIM cards for two countries...)
It's true, that it's not worth the price Sony asked for in first place (which mobile is ... ) but as they're available for less then the half now ... I got mine new (with damaged package and missing charger) for £150 back in April - decent camera, 32GB, SD, not too big ...

if Jolla gets the camera working properly and a newer Android runtime (drivers should be available as it's running nougat 7.1.1 and lineage) I'll be a happy sailor

would be even more happy if they release an image for the Z1 compact ;-) so I can reactivate it from the drawer and replace my Jolla1
Yeah, its mostly the screen that is super bad. But also build quality not what I excpect from a device nowadays... bulky, but it's a cheap device so what can you excpect, right.

honestly, I don't understand why jolla targeted the basic X when they had so many other devices to choose from.

How much would you be willing to pay for a sail beta version without sonys cam and alien Dalvik?

£0, £50, $100, $200, $1000?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-06-25 at 18:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways

How much would you be willing to pay for a sail beta version without sonys cam and alien Dalvik?

£0, £50, $100, $200, $1000?
Nothing because I'll have no use for it - I still need a few Android apps for my daily business and if I can't run them I can't use the device on a daily base - and I won't flash the X with Sailfish if I can't use it anymore - I already have to many more or less useless devices with Ubuntu Touch, FFOS, WebOS and old Android versions in the drawer - sold all Maemo and Meego stuff though

If the Sailfish X won't happen I might flash Lineage to the BQ X5 I bought for 50 bucks two weeks ago and use it dual SIM, sell the Xperia X and keep the Jolla1 for remembering a great OS

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
I'm still waiting for a device which runs SFOS with working alien dalvik which works on USA frequency bands. Up till now I've been making do with a "powerful" sfos phone (OPX) and the Jolla 1 to run the three Android apps I need on wifi only. I'm really hoping the Xperia X will happen.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
jolla needs to include play store if they want any users outside a few hundred fanboys. (Except finalize tablet project)

Basic OS functionality - Check
Known brand Xperia - Check
Services needed by users - NOoooo

Video, navigation, banking and payment, music, shopping, photo...jolla is nowhere when it comes to these areas and it's not easy, but it's crucial, more crucial than develop the OS.

One other way would be...
Instead of building a os for Putin or a Chinese version of sail, these money/devs should focus on building services rather than hacking some dedicated features in OS that no one will use, except a few. And to add extra badness to it. Doing it completely in the dark.

But nooo...

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-06-26 at 19:14.

Actually, I prefer to dump evil Android altogether

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
That's not an option currently. If they want users that is. It's like serving Big Macs on a 3 star restaurant

By the way, named...Maaemo.

https://maaemo.no/menu

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-06-26 at 19:25.

jolla needs to include play store ...
Oh no, absolutely not - as far as we can avoid google services it should be done - an android runtime is brilliant and gives the possibility to work around missing apps with android ones - I know not all are running without play services but that shouldn't encourage people to install them - the point for BlackBerry and Sailfish is running apps without that stuff - if you tend to install playstore, playservices or more (like openGapps on lineage or another custom Rom) - you could even use Android from the beginning ...

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
+1

Android (or any other OS that includes PlayStore / etc.) is not really an OS or service platform, it is just an endpoint of The Google Machine.
It is a honeytrap to lure people to give their life to the machine.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Fine, We are happy without play store.

But how do you suggest that jolla should pay for the party? Leave the bills and run?

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x