Active Topics

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by fergusso View Post
I checked several stores and also online sites. the value of n900 is really getting lower and lower. the resale value now is much cheaper than any of its competitor like xperia x10 and others:

one of the reasons I can see is that a lot of people are moving to another phone due to a lot of reasons like they find the phone complicated etc.

this is not a hate n900 thread

can you give me more facts about this? I'm sure n900 still are among the top phones in the market when it comes to specs.
It is a common trend.

After being more than a half year on the market, the price of the device eventually starts to go down.

The main reason for this is that all the people who would buy it at the previous price already bought it, and most of the other potential customers wouldn't buy it for such a high price.

The other reason is that used units are steadily flowing into the market thus forcing the value of the new ones to go down as well.

It is not a particularty negative or bad thing. It happened to all of the handsets I watched over the past few years.

I sold my 900 back in february to CEX and it's STILL on the shelf gathering dust £150 less than what i sold it for.
I sold at the right time

The resale value of electronics has never been high, unless it was Apple or otherwise extremely rare.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
A vodafone n900 in less than good condition has a cash value of £172 to
CEX.

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA
Actually when it was on preorder on dell it's been as low as 350 after rebate and cashback. I actualy preordered it at that price but cancelled because dells orders were backordered and was taking months to ship out.

Right now i'm seeing a lot of deals for the n900 at 420 now on slickdeals.net and other deal sites, that's still 70 dollars over it's all time low before the phone was even released. I believe theres a recent one for 370 when you trade in your old phone.

But even if it is getting lower that's not a bad thing. It's been on he market for a long time and If people weren't buying the phone of course they would drop the price, wouldn't make sense for them not to.

But think about this, this can only mean good for the community, they're lowering the barrier to entry, and that means the community will be bigger for maemo users. This will bring a lot more support and possibly with more support many big name developers would join in, especially because meego will be out soon

Play.com prices for comparison

Apple iPhone 3GS 32GB / Sim Free / Unlocked / Touch Screen Mobile Phone (Black)

£749.99

Nokia N900 32GB / Sim Free / Unlocked / 5.0 Megapixel / Touch Screen Mobile Phone (Black)

£449.99

Nokia N97 8GB Mini / Sim Free / Unlocked / 5.0 Megapixel / Touch Screen Mobile Phone

£329.99 Free Delivery

The Following User Says Thank You to Rebeldiamond For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ leicester UK
You talk like a fool if I could plug my n900 directly into my head I would.

Batteries - don't make me smirk, my wallet is my battery.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Prices naturally drop on items after their launch. This is nothing new, nor is it unique to the N900. It's not necessarily an indication of change in value.

Originally Posted by fergusso View Post
this is not a hate n900 thread
you had me fooled

Anyway, it's a phone, not Stock. The value, she goes down.

The value of my Touch Pro 2 is way down. The value of my Touch Pro is nearly 0.

What does that mean?

It means don't invest in handsets.

I can tell you right now that soon as a Meego phone hits the market the price is gonna drop like a brick. So if you're after resale value, sell it now.

Personally I don't ever hold a phone long enough to worry about resale value. The longest I've lasted with a phone is 1 year.