Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
You and me both.

I'm fairly sure we'll get to know the answer in next Mer Meeting, though.
Sadly, we will not to our satisfaction.
James does a good job in communication, that is what i am sure of.
It must be another case of not beeing able to tell more because it is not decided yet. I can not repeat often enough, jolla changed focus and this device is not ment to be a gamechanger in public recocnition but another small stepstone to not let the community break away more and have a decent demo device to catch corporate fish.

So him giving exactly the sentence we got, means not more and not less than stated.
Full Support for one year, mainly to pay 3rd party licenses.
Given intex put out a whole device for 69$ including those licenses, 50€ hopefully has some overhead to pay for past or future jolla developement on removing beta state of sailfishx.
Those licenses could also be the reason if the continuation program will cost additional money to continue to use Alien Dalvik and M$ stuff after 12 month.

This all smells like jolla will introduce some kind of paid feature to the store to manage subscriptions or sell single 3rd party features, doesn't it?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on Jul 2016 @ Paraguay
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
Lack of Bluetooth the deal breaker for me, but if we get it, I am definitely inclined towards this.

Is anyone here going to be involved in beta testing?
I will buy once is available, contacted someone from Germany that will buy for me... I can deal with the lack of Bluetooth, but I hope that community helps to fix it soon with Jolla

Enviado desde mi F5121 mediante Tapatalk

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meloferz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I don't drive, it's so boring. I ride a bicycle instead.
And yes. BT is essential in that situation.
Oh, I'm sure bluetooth has it's uses. I haven't switched over to bluetooth earphones myself because I don't want to charge yet another battery (and they're more expensive anyways), but I can definitely see the benefits of it while doing sports.

Also, I don't drive either, but that's because I object to spending so much money to pay car insurance when there's perfectly good public transport working out there And that's only intercity, a bike's my best bet in all other cases.

By the way, found the news of the bluetooth study I ḿentioned earlier here: https://www.wired.com/2003/06/hands-...phones-unsafe/

But back to on-topic, I'm sure bluetooth gets fixed in a timeframe I'm happy with Just let me buy the OS already!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Germany
OK, this all sounds good enough to me to buy a new Xperia X black from Amazon Germany for 314€. Not really a steal but I don't like used units or Ebay that much.
I'm not really a big Sony fan any more but I must say the phone is really good hardware. Nice build quality, very good screen and not too slow under Android 7.0.
The only downside I found it's a little bit too big for me.
I hope they get Bluetooth fixed. I don't use it very often but I also must admit it's a very important base feature for a modern phone...

Last edited by sbock; 2017-08-28 at 16:38.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sbock For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Given intex put out a whole device for 69$ including those licenses, 50€ hopefully has some overhead to pay for past or future jolla developement on removing beta state of sailfishx.
Those licenses could also be the reason if the continuation program will cost additional money to continue to use Alien Dalvik and M$ stuff after 12 month.

This all smells like jolla will introduce some kind of paid feature to the store to manage subscriptions or sell single 3rd party features, doesn't it?
I'm not sure it's about 3rd party features, judging by past releases they may be more once-per-device kind of deals instead of yearly payments per sold device.

I do read that sentence as in 50€ for first year of support, and then a continuance program for future updates. Say if it was something like 10€ yearly to get further updates, I'd be totally fine with that. And Jolla would get continued revenue. Supporting all different devices for future updates must bring overhead so it's also fair IMO. Also consider common Android devices, they're usually receiving updates for year or year and a half if I've understood correctly. And you can't just buy more support, it's over when they decide it's over.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Community is of course welcome to contribute on the missing features! We will open the hardware adaptation source code repositories for Xperia X device in the coming week, and we will provide instructions on how community can build their own Sailfish images from the sources.
Based on previous deliveries "coming week" means Saturday 11:59 pm.
Even so. We are only a week or so from getting a community image!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to one_with_linux For This Useful Post:
So I can hold my breath? Or is this coming soon (tm)?

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by catbus View Post
So I can hold my breath? Or is this coming soon (tm)?
Well I'm holding my breath... But note: I'm blue in the face

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to one_with_linux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sunny Woollahra
We're all focusing on the updates for a year for €50

What I think we should be doing is looking at customer care (support).

1000 sales @ €50 = €50 000, this is enough for two people's wages for a year...

If Jolla are placing themselves as corporate providers then this what corporate support do - where I work our in house tech support charge $200/year per (company) email address.

I see this as a retail version of the same business model

Last edited by rfa; 2017-08-29 at 08:25. Reason: Use Jolla's words

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rfa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Turkey
So James Noori seems to have replied to the comments on the blog post yesterday. I am paraphrasing his comments (and adding my inferences) for those who does not want to go through all:

- After 1 year the updates for the X will continue (So hopefully they will not force X users to move to another Sony phone). But will they ask us to pay 50 Euros again or is it going to be solved in another way is not clear (I think the licenses for dalvik and exchange etc. do not require yearly payment either)

- Double tap to wake is not supported currently (and probably it is not on their agenda either)

- To fix the issues with Bluetooth Jolla mostly relies on the community

- For US and Canada payment system is the hindrance (Seems like it will be solved). For other regions he does not make any comments (So we can assume they will not be supported ever).

I think it would be much better if they made it clear in advance that they are changing their business model for individual users/developers as well. They definitely do not want to use (or waste as it seems they think) workforce on this side if they are not going to make money at once.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to herdem09 For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x