Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
A few years ago I was a crazy addicted to QWERTY phones, but after I switched to Jolla 1 I realised that if a phones screen size is > 4" the sw kbd is good enough and adding a psychical keyboard just makes it too bulky.

That said it's not a fair comparison as my experience comes from an addon keyboard (TOHKBD2).

I hope that my view towards QWERTY phones will change in the future. maybe we'll a slim qwerty phone with e-ink keypads.
That would makes it much easier to make a single phone design across a wider area.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 166 | Thanked: 454 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Poland
In my opinion, using e-ink screen as the keyboard is mostly the same as using on-screen keyboard due to the same flat surface without any perceptible forms which make typing on hardware keyboard unique.
Noticeable advantages are not covering the main screen, (maybe) power saving and as mentioned in the previous post making a single keyboard across a wider area.
In order to take advantages of both the e-ink and the hardware keyboard every single key would have to have a small e-ink screen.
It might be very convenient for languages using writing system other than Latin but with signs meaning more or less a single phone (phonetics) such as Russian, Ukrainian, Greek or Georgian as it might be easy to switch between (noticeable different) key layouts.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mp107 View Post
In my opinion, using e-ink screen as the keyboard is mostly the same as using on-screen keyboard due to the same flat surface without any perceptible forms which make typing on hardware keyboard unique.
Noticeable advantages are not covering the main screen, (maybe) power saving and as mentioned in the previous post making a single keyboard across a wider area.
In order to take advantages of both the e-ink and the hardware keyboard every single key would have to have a small e-ink screen.
It might be very convenient for languages using writing system other than Latin but with signs meaning more or less a single phone (phonetics) such as Russian, Ukrainian, Greek or Georgian as it might be easy to switch between (noticeable different) key layouts.
Just the R&D costs alone, of doing such a thing would make that unviable I think.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
I agree. Currently, it sounds like a science fiction.
Just wanted to show kind of a draft of the idea.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
I agree. Currently, it sounds like a science fiction.
Yep, science fiction, but from 2009 : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_SCH-U750

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Chen&Co are really HW heavy but what about sw. How much work must be done in to get sw run well with keyboard for android or sailfish? For sailfish...is the required parts open so it's possible to change?

And remap keys to fit different parts of the world.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
The keyboard surface would be just like a regular qwerty phone keyboard with a screen covering each key. So you would still have psychical keys to press and real key feedback and be able to switch layout quickly eg. emoji keyboard.

Last edited by LouisDK; 2017-07-30 at 14:10.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Yes, that would absolutely be too weird, and you would look like an idiot every time you picked up a call.
As far as I am concerned, everyone holding a 5+" device to their ear looks like an idiot, regardless of which side the screen is facing. Who would know anyway, the screen would be off during the call.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
As far as I am concerned, everyone holding a 5+" device to their ear looks like an idiot, regardless of which side the screen is facing. Who would know anyway, the screen would be off during the call.
Honestly. I couldn't care less what people think about me while talking in my phone. To me it sounds more strange to care how other people look while calling. 6,4 Xperia ultra is as good as any phone.

I think you have to give it a year or two and you will not find it so stupid anymore. Just have to get used to it I assume.

5,5 will be great!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-07-30 at 14:40.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
In my opinion - a rather-small-screen user - not the size of the screen matters but the overall of the device.
I place hope in "narrow bezels style" but I'm afraid this would "only" lead to bigger screen in the same size of the device as before.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen