Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Great wrap up olf.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 166 | Thanked: 454 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Poland
Assuming that the device will be released with Android OS (AOSP, LineageOS, etc.) what version of Android (number) would it be shipped with?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 342 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
Hi Chen,

You say you've already chosen Qualcomm (which isn't necessarily a bad thing depending on your target audience) but I've a few comments on your summary of SoCs which you may want to take into consideration.

Intel have indeed exited the mobile chipset business however China-based mobile chip vendor Spreadtrum have partnered with Intel and have been making new x86-based SoCs for smartphones.

Allwinner is quite the opposite of what you describe. They are actually one of the best vendors for non-Android support and use Mali GPUs which are compatible with the Lima free/open drivers.

You didn't mention OMAP, perhaps because TI are no longer developing new chips, but OMAP has great mainline Linux support. The main disadvantage with OMAP is the PowerVR GPU for which there are no free/open drivers.

Qualcomm has traditionally been a bad choice for privacy reasons. Their SoCs are known to have bad hardware design where the modem controls GPS, audio (including mic), RAM, NAND. If you choose a Qualcomm SoC without a built-in modem, it might be okay. Mainline Linux support for certain Qualcomm SoCs has improved in recent years and Freedreno (along with Lima) is one of the more advanced projects for free/open GPU drivers.

Have a look at my thread on mainline Linux devices which provides some info on which SoCs are currently best supported by mainline Linux. There are currently two 64-bit Qualcomm phones with some support: the LG Nexus 5X (MSM8992) and the Huawei Nexus 6P (MSM8994). Other 64-bit Qualcomm chips with mainline support can be found here.
This. This is so important. Mainlining kernel support of mobile chipsets should be as important as developing vaccines for lethal diseases. But unfortunately not as much talked about. We will never get our OS of choice and freedom and flexibility for users until we have a chipset with drivers in the kernel.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jukk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Here is the specs of this device. This is not a fanboy dream - we already have working - stablised - debugged solution. It's real.

This is also not 100% confirmed and subject to further change. But this is what we are working at the moment.

The Livermorium "Pocket PC" Lauta-revival project:

SoC: Qualcomm MSM8953 64-bit 14nm

We decided to choose a mid-tier instead of flagship SoC because:
- It's very expensive to get the flagship components with small quantity
- The flagship solution itself is very expensive
- Most of the time it's over powered and waste battery
- MSM8953 is very power efficient and also have great performance

Display: 5.5" FHD 1080p IPS, Capacitive, 2.5D glass

The reason choose 5.5 over 5.0:
- More "compatible" with Moto Keyboard Mod's slider part, same size, less work
- More space on keypad, means bigger keys and more keys
- Bigger battery

Camera:
Front 8MP
Rear Dual 13MP+13MP (RGB+Monochrome)

Some of the best we can get at the moment.

Storage: 64GB ROM +4GB RAM

Keyboard: 5 Rows slider similar to Moto Keyboard Mod, screen can be lifted.

BT4.1, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n and 5GHz, GPS/Beidou/Glonass/Galileo
USB Type-C with OTG, 3.5mm jack, MicroSD, Dual Sim, IR

Quad LTE bands + Quad WCDMA bands + Quad GSM bands.
One version for NA and one version for EU

Sensors: Gravity, Proximity, E-compass, Gyroscope, optional fingerprint

Unlocked bootloader

Battery 3500mAH

Regarding OS, from all the great suggestions, here is the plan:

- Sailfish OS (will try to make it happen)
- Lineage OS or GMS-Android (for general users who just want a physical keyboard)
- A third OS? I will also support any individual/orgnisation who wants to develop OS other than above.

Above is the plan. More updates will be posted later.

================

Update: This is NOT the Q-Device.

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2018-11-15 at 13:25.

The Following 74 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Here is the specs of this device. This is not a fanboy dream - we already have working - stablised - debugged solution. It's real.

This is also not 100% confirmed and subject to further change. But this is what we are working at the moment.

The Livermorium "Pocket PC" Lauta-revival project:

.[..]
yahoo
count me in

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
As long as there's a non-android option, I'm in. I've not seen or tried Lineage OS, but mainstream android devices leave me cold.

Regardless, this is fantastic work Chen, and I wish you all the success you deserve for your efforts.

Last edited by epninety; 2017-07-28 at 16:24. Reason: Additional

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
This sounds REALLY good. Hoping for it to not be too expensive

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Akkumaru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by epninety View Post
As long as there's a non-android option, I'm in. I've not seen or tried Lineage OS, but mainstream android devices leave me cold.

Regardless, this is fantastic work Chen, and I wish you all the success you deserve for your efforts.
Thank you - I hated Android. Kept that option is just for mainstream sales, and support for my plans for the future.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
USB-C OTG, IR, 64 GB + micro SD (good to have plenty of space for multiple OSes), compass, quad band.

Unlocked bootloader and multiple OS options planned including Sailfish (if possible).

As promised, count me in for two devices already I think (well, we'll see the price, but that's my plan). 5.5" will make one-hand gestures absolutely impossible though, and I have to purchase new jeans with bigger pockets.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2017-07-28 at 18:26.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Will the Jolla version be named jPhone? YouYotaSail? Or have you decided name? YouYotaPhone. YYP. YyP. YouYotaDreamMachine.

Btw. Love the green dance machine in post above

MeanGreenMachine.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-07-28 at 17:09.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen