Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
No. The keys register swipes up and down. It's actually done quite well and rather unobtrusive to regular typing. No extra hardware required.

https://youtu.be/nCwyBPuYK6g?t=167

From my understanding, the buttons have a capacitive touch layer on them.
So there is extra hw required.

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
No. The keys register swipes up and down. It's actually done quite well and rather unobtrusive to regular typing. No extra hardware required.
So it's just a normal keyboard with something extra implemented in software?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 166 | Thanked: 454 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Poland
I suppose those horizontal bars might matter and do work like a touchpad.
It would be hard, expensive to implement such on every one key.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by NX500 View Post

Thanks, I get it now. Never seen one in real life before!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mp107 View Post
I suppose those horizontal bars might matter and do work like a touchpad.
It would be hard, expensive to implement such on every one key.
If that was the case, wouldn't the smooth circular movements, in the video, i linked above, be impossible to realise, considering these big gaps between the horizontal bars?

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 166 | Thanked: 454 times | Joined on Apr 2015 @ Poland
Hard to say.
On the other hand, paying attention to the fact that some broken displays even with falling out pieces of glass do work it might be similar capacitive technology as in the screens. So it might use not only those bars.
Either way, thanks for the note.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mp107 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
[...] The first choice has been made: SoC will be Qualcomm 64-bit.
Good, as this seems to be the only viable choice today, especially regarding hardware support (device drivers) in upstream Linux (= kernel).

For the choice of operating system(s) there are basically only two open sourced "survivors":

1. "Android"
- Google's Android (i.e. "stock Android" *from* Google) is out of reach for a project of this size, IMO. BTW, is this what you called "GMS Android"? And it contains a lot of proprietary components, binding its users to Google services.
- AOSP (Android open source project) is Google's code drop of their Android releases with all proprietary components stripped and some of them substituted by old (open source) ones. It does not deliver, what a regular user expects.
- LineageOS is based on AOSP and adds substitutes for some of the missing / outdated components in order to suit regular users (and they are doing that well).
- BTW, AlienDalvik (by MyriadGroup), which can be licensed along SailfishOS, is also based on (older releases of) AOSP.

2. Nemo mobile / Mer / SailfishOS
- Nemo mobile is based on Mer ("Meego reconstructed"), which is the successor of Meego, which in turn is the successor of Maemo (well, simplified; for details, see Wikipedia). It also is not suitable for regular users, e.g. lacking a finished mobile GUI.
- SailfishOS is also based on Mer and provides (in contrast to Nemo) a proprietary, proper "mobile" GUI, plus the optional integration of AlienDalvik.

All other options are dead (Ubuntu Touch, MozillaOS, WebOS etc.) or dying (e.g. Tizen).

As most people want to run Android apps, but also many people want an alternative to Android, there are really only two options:
a. Dual-Boot with LineageOS and SailfishOS (the latter maybe optionally due to license costs)
b. SailfishOS with AlienDalvik ("single boot")
... and the combination of both:
c. Dual-Boot with LineageOS and SailfishOS with AlienDalvik
*Edit:* Other people added,
d. Preinstalled with LineageOS, which is replaceable by a SailfishOS image ("single boot"), with (d1.) or without (d2.) AlienDalvik.

Note, that a properly working dual-boot setup can be a challenge of its own (technically *and* WRT usability), thus primarily perusing b. or d[1|2]. makes most sense, IMO.

Last edited by olf; 2017-08-01 at 23:06. Reason: Added OS options d1. and d2.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by olf View Post
As most people want to run Android apps, but also many people want an alternative to Android, there are really only two options:
a. Dual-Boot with LineageOS and SailfishOS (the latter maybe optionally due to license costs)
b. SailfishOS with AlienDalvik
... and the combination of both:
c. Dual-Boot with LineageOS and SailfishOS with AlienDalvik

Note, that a properly working dual-boot setup can be a challenge of its own (technically *and* WRT usability), so perusing b. first makes most sense, IMO.
Great summary, although I would conclude with d. LineageOS by default, with an easy way to install Sailfish. Dualboot out of the box would be cool, but is there any well known precedent there?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Problem with Dualboot is that, even though Multirom exists and works well, IIRC it's not available for Android >6.0 and thus LineageOS.

I'd go for LineageOS & easy to install Sailfish.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Veraendert For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by NX500 View Post

lol. I meant that old BB nub thing. I hated that thing something fierce. Felt like you were pushing around an old eraser head.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen