Poll: What applications would you like to see FIRST to receive portrait mode ?
Poll Options
What applications would you like to see FIRST to receive portrait mode ?

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
T9?! Whu?

If the iPhone can do a full portrait OSK, so can Maemo!

And yeah, the music player really needs to be able to do portrait.
Yes, if the iPhone could do a full (usable/doesn't-suck) portait virtual keyboard, then so can Maemo.

But the iPhone can't.

Reasons to do T9:

1) more people are familiar with T9 or T9-style input than with qwerty thumb keyboards.

2) fewer buttons + similar screen area = bigger buttons = more accuracy than the crappy iPhone portrait virtual keyboard.

3) usable one handed -- even the beloved iPhone portrait qwerty requires two thumbs (and, doesn't the iPhone have a T9 mode, as well? if so, so much for the idea that Maemo doesn't need one if they have a qwerty one).

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
I'm missing the browser option, but since i've already seen screenshots of fennec in portrait mode, that's probably not an issue any more, right?

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
@SubCore,

It doesn't really matter to us, but consider the scores of users that will never change their browser (IE6 crowd).

}8^I~

Well, i think that all those apps should be available in portrait.
It's very important that Nokia anderstand that users will need portrait mode for those apps. There is always a moment that you can't use it in landscape, there is always one moment that portrait is the only issue, a moment that without it you can't use your mobile and that would be a pity to not have it on a such a great device.

Nokia, are you listening ?

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
My guess is that one of the reasons for the postponing the release date may have something to do with the implementation of portrait mode..... what say?

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
All camera apps.
I don't get this... The Images app (how you view images) can be in landscape and portrait. But the camera?

If you want to take a photo in portrait, you hold the device in portrait -- just like a regular camera. If the camera had to switch to portrait mode, you'd still be taking your photo in landscape (because the view would rotate), but it'd be shrunk to fit in the portrait view.

Or, am I missing something?

Tim

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
My guess is that one of the reasons for the postponing the release date may have something to do with the implementation of portrait mode..... what say?
I hope so much !

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by tangs View Post
Well, i think that all those apps should be available in portrait.
Please try reading the poll question and first message more carefully. The question is priority as obviously they have to work on them in SOME order. The alternative is to receive none of them until they are all ready, which I don't think is really what any portrait mode proponent wants.

Nokia, are you listening ?
This thread is a direct result of Nokia folks inquiring about priorities, so, they are listening.

Thus, in this thread, the question is not what Nokia can do for you, but what you can do for Nokia. Which would be filling out the poll.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
It was postponed? (deep in project, haven't been reading news stuff this week)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
It was postponed? (deep in project, haven't been reading news stuff this week)
i second that lol...

Tags
nokia v. upright ppl war, portrait mode