Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Pointing out that TWITTER or a WIKI is your marketing, is like your employer announcing, "[URL="http://cache.ginside.com/content/2007/03/dilbert-google-heatlh-plan.jpg"]Android had and still is marketed HEAVILY online, on television and all over the place by all of the vendors and carriers who've adopted the operating system and promote the quality of the operating system by showing that Android can DO things.
Not sure where you are located at but Nokia appears a lot in our (India) TV and also on our streets too.

But I totally agree to the sentiment here that there is a LOT to improve in this area for Nokia. I would not consider posts on Twitter, Facebook, mailing-lists, Nokia-Blogs as marketing at all.

I am just curious to know one thing. Whats Nokia's opinion on this? I mean do they consider what they are doing as enough marketing or are they thinking that marketing is not that much needed for their products. Anyways, either way, I would go with Fire-&-Hire if I had the option.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
Not sure where you are located at but Nokia appears a lot in our (India) TV and also on our streets too.
Not true in Canada, the USA or many countries in Central America - Mexico seems to be exempt from that.

Japan also. No marketing presence there - well, none in my last three trips at least.

But I totally agree to the sentiment here that there is a LOT to improve in this area for Nokia. I would not consider posts on Twitter, Facebook, mailing-lists, Nokia-Blogs as marketing at all.
I'd suggest that Facebook, Twitter and typical social media should be treated as secondary or tertiary means for true marketing. There it's gone from marketing to participating where folks are gossiping.

I am just curious to know one thing. Whats Nokia's opinion on this? I mean do they consider what they are doing as enough marketing or are they thinking that marketing is not that much needed for their products. Anyways, either way, I would go with Fire-&-Hire if I had the option.
Good question, one I've love to see answered too. As it stands, Nokia understands (somewhat) marketing in Europe and Asia, but really nowhere else.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I've promoted vkv.raju's post linking to the "MeeGo's Community Woes" article to it's own thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Vienna
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
I could argue all night but I'll restrict to the following points:

[...]

In fact, businesses have the best software and for them available is closed. Plus, on a close OS you get both.
I disagree very much.

In all the 20 years that I am using Windows (various versions)
and Unix/Linux, it was always that the Windows OS sucks.

Some applications were very good - but this was not Windows
or Microsoft. Very often Microsoft OS hindered those better
applications because of crashes, slow motion <name your favourite> or even other bad applications/drivers.

Whereas in Linux these issues were at the very beginning
(somehow compareable with Windows 2.x or 3.x).

Nowadays I see blue screens on Windows 7 at work,
still some dual core machines that are slowed down by
Windows 7 and so forth.
Windows HAS NOT improved lately.
Maybe there was some improvement between Windows NT and XP.
But that was one time and only something that was necessary.

Thinking about this, it would be a big mistake for Nokia
to follow Windows on smartphones (and we are only talking about
smartphones here, nobody is interested in Windows, Android or Apple on cheap phones).

"After seeing the past 14 years and what MS has done, no thanks."

Sorry to be blunt, but that sounds like it came from a person who hasn't really tried the alternatives.
I've tried both, Linux and MS.
For 20 years.
And I have enough from Microsoft fooling their customers all
the time !

The things that I've seen from Apple and Google are not that
bad as Microsoft, but I am still not convinced.

Without any experience of alternatives, without true and extensive research, "OMG MS is going to eat our phones with their logos" is just FUD.
Nope.
It is the result of 20 years fiddling around with MS-OS.

I own several Windows devices, an iPad, a Maemo device, and am purchasing an Android tomorrow(ish). My point of view might be subjective, but at least it is informed.
For Android and iOS I only can tell from devices that I had in hand
shortly.
But for MS I can tell for sure.
;-)

Windows can still run apps from 14 years ago, no recompile.
That's theory.
Did you ever try to run old 16bit programs?
;-)

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
By the end of 2011 there will be only 1 meego device?
And that was supposed to be released 2010!!!
anyway its all irelevant to me as I started using android and ios Q1 2011 (have used only nokia devices for 10years!)
I don't have time for poor management decisions

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Not interested in anything else out there right now, N900 does it all for me. Nokia's bad management decisions don't stop me enjoying using the device and looking forward to the rest of the year (at least) keeping hold of it. I've used friends' android and iOS phones - as someone in another thread mentioned - they're like toys compared to the N900. If a solid MeeGo device comes out in 2011 I'd be interested, but happy to wait until 2012 to be honest.

Elop is the fire, we're the guy standing on the edge of the platform. Instead of pissing in our pants, we need to piss on Elop and put him out.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Elop is the fire, we're the guy standing on the edge of the platform. Instead of pissing in our pants, we need to piss on Elop and put him out.
... and if we make a film of that (and sell it to the germans), we may even make more money than Nokia has through the n900.

(Hey, I've got statistics to back that up...)
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 144 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hamburg
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
... and if we make a film of that (and sell it to the germans), we may even make more money than Nokia has through the n900.
Where could I buy one?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@daperl: I told you man! Our first customer in mere seconds!

Originally Posted by mbo View Post
Where could I buy one?
http://www.raining-on-elops-parade.com
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2011-02-09 at 15:06.

Tags
armageddon, circle jerk, going down, horoscope, internet eldars, mental jerk off, nokia of borg, phone different, rumors, unfounded