Notices

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Have you considered using an XMPP client?

I've used Whatsapp not at all and XMPP (Jabber) very little, but if cross platform communication is your goal, then XMPP seems a reasonable option to consider.

Originally Posted by carlon View Post
I think what bakry2003 is trying to convey is the day to usefulness of a cross platform im app such as cnectd and whatsapp, because they are data oriented apps and data plans tend to be cheaper than calling and sms plans(at least in Venezuela).
XMPP is cross platform.

I'm aware that nokia has the ovi contacts app...
Do you mean Ovi Chat? That's XMPP.

...the smart phone market these days is no longer limited to a few brands and everyone has their preference of OS. With that said, what these (cnectd and whatsapp) apps are trying to do is to integrate the different MOBILE OS on to one unified app, they both already support andriod,symbian,blackberry and apple.
There are XMPP clients for all those platforms.

One may argue that msn already does that but i think we both know that msn isn't optimized for mobile phones, the compression is far from great which leads to high data consumption, and that defeats the whole purpose.
I can't comment on this. I don't know anyone who uses MSN, so I don't know how it compares to anything else.

I know it's not up to maemo developers to port this app due to the fact that its closed source, but i think we have a loud enough voice to persuade apple to develop a maemo version
According to one person who posted here of monitoring Whatsapp's network traffic, Whatsapp uses XMPP. If that's the case, data usage by other XMPP clients should be similar to that of Whatsapp.

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
N900 has a well embedded, high functioning IM capability. Why does anyone need a 3rd Part app?
Because whatsapp is awesome,
Maybe even a thousand times better than any IM app on the n900
I use it on my galaxy tab, but I doubt the developers of the app have even heard of the n900!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leetut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 328 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Venezuela
Hi sjgadsby,
The ovi chat isn't available for the n900
http://store.ovi.com/content/20855?lang=en_us
Even if it were, it only integrates ovi contacts, google talk, yahoo messenger and msn, which are all available separately on the n900. However as i explained before google talk, yahoo messenger and msn are all web based IM services which are not optimized for mobile platforms. Basically they pretty much only allow text IMs (at least on the n900)at a compression rate inferior to mobile IM apps such as ovi contacts, BBM, cnectd and whatsapp. I'm aware that whatsapp uses xmpp but if they don't open up the app to third party apps like jabber (what facebook did with their facebook chat feature), then it would mean that they would have to develop a version specifically for maemo

Originally Posted by leetut View Post
Because whatsapp is awesome,
Maybe even a thousand times better than any IM app on the n900
I use it on my galaxy tab, but I doubt the developers of the app have even heard of the n900!

They have heard of the N900, I've contacted them on a maemo version but their response was negative. what i don't understand is where is Nokia in all this?

The Following User Says Thank You to carlon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Hi uvatbc,

I'm aware that nokia has the ovi contacts app which i think is an excellent app although its not quite as good as bbm(at least not for the s60v3) its very useful, however, the smart phone market these days is no longer limited to a few brands and everyone has their preference of OS. With that said, what these (cnectd and whatsapp) apps are trying to do is to integrate the different MOBILE OS on to one unified app, they both already support andriod,symbian,blackberry and apple.
My requirements for IM protocols are:
-Must be available on PC platforms (including desktop Linux), for communicating with people who don't have smartphones but have PCs, or for when I want to type on a full-size keyboard
-Must be supported on other smartphones
-Should be open to interoperation with other providers
-Preferably based on an open standard protocol

The ones available out-the-box on Nokia N900 are:
-GoogleTalk (XMPP)
-Facebook chat (XMPP)
-Generic Jabber (XMPP)
-Ovi (apparently XMPP)
-XMPP over bonjour
-SIP
These all qualify on most of the requirements, and I have all of these (except SIP at present) active on my N900.

Now, I have been using these systems for communicating with friends/contacts for *years*. Just because I have a smartphone, doesn't mean I need new IM accounts. I use the ones I have used for years.

I have used Jabber on Nokia phones since MobileMessenger for Nokia 6600 (Series60 v1) over GPRS (no 3G back then).

Note: If you install more packages from extras, you will get the following protocols in the Nokia messaging app:
-AIM
-GaduGadu
-Groupwise
-QQ
-Sametime
-Yahoo

(I don't use any of these, so I am not sure if they worked, still work etc.)

Just recommend XMPP-capable apps to your friends, they will be freed of platform-specific IM, and be free to IM anyone on any platform without relying on a specific provider.

N900 is IMHO one of the *best* phones, because of the out-the-box integration of instant messaging by standards-based protocols.

Another locked-in IM application is a waste for every platform IMHO.

Whatsapp apparently seems to use XMPP, but, if it doesn't provide easy means of adding users on other XMPP servers, it misses the majority of the point of XMPP. The fact that they don't mention XMPP, Jabber, Facebook chat, GoogleTalk etc. on their FAQ means their focus is (IMHO) wrong.

If it *does* support adding users on other XMPP servers (IOW, has s2s open), then, you don't need the Whatsapp app, sign up for an account, and add it to your N900 as a Jabber account, but you need the correct details).

However, if it *did* support XMPP s2s, then (guessing) _xmpp-server._tcp.whatsapp.com SRV record should be published, but it is not:

Code:
$ dig +short _xmpp-server._tcp.whatsapp.com SRV
$
vs Google:

Code:
$ dig +short _xmpp-server._tcp.google.com SRV
20 0 5269 xmpp-server2.l.google.com.
20 0 5269 xmpp-server3.l.google.com.
20 0 5269 xmpp-server4.l.google.com.
5 0 5269 xmpp-server.l.google.com.
20 0 5269 xmpp-server1.l.google.com.
So, no thanks, I don't need inferior, closed instant messaging. That's so 20th century.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buchanmilne For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The ovi chat isn't available for the n900
How so? I've had Ovi Chat installed and working on my N900 since October of 2009.

Point Taken buchanmilne, i'm trying to start a war, i too have google talk, skype and a few other IM apps currently running on my phone, but the point i'm trying to make is that everyone out there doesn't have a mobile as potent and versatile as the n900, for that we some commercial apps

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
How so? I've had Ovi Chat installed and working on my N900 since October of 2009.

What you see at the top of your screen is what was originally referred to as ovi contacts, but now is called ovi chat, my mistake sorry

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ venezuela
Originally Posted by buchanmilne View Post
My requirements for IM protocols are:
-Must be available on PC platforms (including desktop Linux), for communicating with people who don't have smartphones but have PCs, or for when I want to type on a full-size keyboard
-Must be supported on other smartphones
-Should be open to interoperation with other providers
-Preferably based on an open standard protocol

The ones available out-the-box on Nokia N900 are:
-GoogleTalk (XMPP)
-Facebook chat (XMPP)
-Generic Jabber (XMPP)
-Ovi (apparently XMPP)
-XMPP over bonjour
-SIP
These all qualify on most of the requirements, and I have all of these (except SIP at present) active on my N900.

Now, I have been using these systems for communicating with friends/contacts for *years*. Just because I have a smartphone, doesn't mean I need new IM accounts. I use the ones I have used for years.

I have used Jabber on Nokia phones since MobileMessenger for Nokia 6600 (Series60 v1) over GPRS (no 3G back then).

Note: If you install more packages from extras, you will get the following protocols in the Nokia messaging app:
-AIM
-GaduGadu
-Groupwise
-QQ
-Sametime
-Yahoo

(I don't use any of these, so I am not sure if they worked, still work etc.)

Just recommend XMPP-capable apps to your friends, they will be freed of platform-specific IM, and be free to IM anyone on any platform without relying on a specific provider.

N900 is IMHO one of the *best* phones, because of the out-the-box integration of instant messaging by standards-based protocols.

Another locked-in IM application is a waste for every platform IMHO.

Whatsapp apparently seems to use XMPP, but, if it doesn't provide easy means of adding users on other XMPP servers, it misses the majority of the point of XMPP. The fact that they don't mention XMPP, Jabber, Facebook chat, GoogleTalk etc. on their FAQ means their focus is (IMHO) wrong.

If it *does* support adding users on other XMPP servers (IOW, has s2s open), then, you don't need the Whatsapp app, sign up for an account, and add it to your N900 as a Jabber account, but you need the correct details).

However, if it *did* support XMPP s2s, then (guessing) _xmpp-server._tcp.whatsapp.com SRV record should be published, but it is not:

Code:
$ dig +short _xmpp-server._tcp.whatsapp.com SRV
$
vs Google:

Code:
$ dig +short _xmpp-server._tcp.google.com SRV
20 0 5269 xmpp-server2.l.google.com.
20 0 5269 xmpp-server3.l.google.com.
20 0 5269 xmpp-server4.l.google.com.
5 0 5269 xmpp-server.l.google.com.
20 0 5269 xmpp-server1.l.google.com.
So, no thanks, I don't need inferior, closed instant messaging. That's so 20th century.
if whatsapp works with xmpp server how can i make it run on jabber?

Originally Posted by bakry2003 View Post
if whatsapp works with xmpp server how can i make it run on jabber?
Apple would have to open the app for third party apps like jabber, pretty much what facebook did with their facebook chat feature