Active Topics

Notices

Nokia N9.

Is it not possible to install apps without Nokia account??
With N900 you can install from open repositories.

Where is the terminal/konsole??
Is N9 an amateur device for the sheeps?

N900 seems like an even better device after I bought the N9 which is quite a dissapointment so far.

I bought it only as a toy, hoping it would be open and free like the N900, but it seems not.

Why does it look so much like Android/Iphone interface? The good thing about N900 was that it didn't. It was an actual good GUI.

Cry cry.

Last edited by zeebra; 2013-01-25 at 21:48.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Sure you can install anything without nokia account, just download the deb to your device and install wirh "dpkg -i"

To get the console, install the developer mode from setup.

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Switzerland
You obviously haven't had a closer look to the N9 yet - especially if you compare it to iPhone. "Sheeps" are the ones who don't even bother to look at settings, so start with that :

-Applications don't need to be installed via Nokia Store, but you need to enable 3rd party software installation in settings. Furthermore it's easy and free to set up a Nokia account. I don't see a problem with that. Apps like "MeeCatalog" also offer access to repositories.

-Terminal & more can also be activated in settings (called Developer mode)

-N9 and N900 are two different devices, certain things are def. different on N9 and Maemo5 gives more freedom. Search this forum for Inception (or the handy app N9 QTweak including various hacks) if you want a more open system.

Hope you get more familiar with MeeGo Harmattan

The Following User Says Thank You to almamo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by almamo View Post
You obviously haven't had a closer look to the N9 yet - especially if you compare it to iPhone. "Sheeps" are the ones who don't even bother to look at settings, so start with that :

-Applications don't need to be installed via Nokia Store, but you need to enable 3rd party software installation in settings. Furthermore it's easy and free to set up a Nokia account. I don't see a problem with that. Apps like "MeeCatalog" also offer access to repositories.

-N9 and N900 are two different devices, certain things are def. different on N9 and Maemo5 gives more freedom. Search this forum for Inception (or the handy app N9 QTweak including various hacks) if you want a more open system.

Give it two weeks and he's hooked on the swipe.

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
To simplify what they're trying to tell you here, Go to Settings>Security>Developer Mode and turn it on, then the next thing go to: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80600 and download the latest version of QTweak... And finally in there choose option EE..

After you're done with all that your N9 will be fully open, I would then add community rzr's repository and other ones from N9QTweak option (II)..

Also search this forum for the amazing things that they've done for Harmattan..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Sure you can install anything without nokia account, just download the deb to your device and install wirh "dpkg -i"

To get the console, install the developer mode from setup.
Yes, quite obviosuly.

But what I meant was a package manager without the need to login somewhere. Is that available?

Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
Give it two weeks and he's hooked on the swipe.
I am actually looking into how to install Plasma Active

Swipe is far better than Ios and Android, but far from as easy and good as GUI on N900.

Last edited by zeebra; 2013-01-29 at 18:12.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Graphical package manager not as far as I know, but if you add some repos (like rzr's community repository) you can happily install with apt-get. There are also apps4meego but I don't know if that is still working.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by almamo View Post

I obviously came out way too negative. There are nice things about the N9. I wish that I had that screen on my N900

Hehe, I did look at the settings. At least I can use terminal without signing up with Nokia account. That should get me going.

Certainly are different. There is no phone in history like the N900, and I don't see one coming anytime soon, which is why I bought a spare one of those some time ago.

And to be honest, I don't trust Nokia anymore.

Thanks for the tips!

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Graphical package manager not as far as I know, but if you add some repos (like rzr's community repository) you can happily install with apt-get. There are also apps4meego but I don't know if that is still working.
Good, that is what I will do. That is what I need. Thanks.

Posts: 178 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Austria
"...And to be honest, I don't trust Nokia anymore."

...you are not the only one