I've surfed around maemo.org and I'm even following the developers' mailing list, but I still haven't figured out what you're supposed to do to get a package into repositories.maemo.org (extras or contrib - I'm not certain which is appropriate). I have a few (mostly adjusted and re-packaged for Maemo) packages that I would want to get into a proper repository, e.g. 'rdate'. So, what do I do? Couldn't find the details anywhere..

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
There is a documentation in the developper section about this. (using the command line dput).

But i can't send you the link at this time, because maemo.org is down.

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Unfortuntely, it is not easy.

First get a garage account http://garage.maemo.org

Create a project for the programs you want to contribute. Upload the debs to the project. The nice magicians at Maemo place it into the repositories.

At least that is how I did it for expect
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/expect/

Craig...

Uh ?

My application was never added to extras repository... snifff

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I've surfed around maemo.org and I'm even following the developers' mailing list, but I still haven't figured out what you're supposed to do to get a package into repositories.maemo.org (extras or contrib - I'm not certain which is appropriate). I have a few (mostly adjusted and re-packaged for Maemo) packages that I would want to get into a proper repository, e.g. 'rdate'. So, what do I do? Couldn't find the details anywhere..
This page might help: Extras Repository.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
No, you don't need a Garage project to upload to extras. For many many things this is not appropriate.

http://maemo.org/community/applicati...epository.html

...gives full instructions - although see recent maemo-developers threads on how the situation is planned to be improved.

Thanks for the link. As for garage, I have an account there already, which seems to be necessary (I'm currently reading the page) as I would need an invitation to be allowed to upload, and to get one I need the garage account (but in principle not a garage project). But reading further there seems to be a catch-22.. you need a "proven track record" as a maemo developer. Well, I don't have a site to put up my own repo/packages (except box.net which is fiddly..), so it may stop there. Oh well. At least my packages "are installable with the Application Manager and [...] do not brick ones' device", so that's something anyway. Maybe I'll just put this on ice until the reorg is finished. Those interested in e.g. rdate or lprng will just have to download them from my box.net account I guess.

Thanks for the replies, all of you.

Originally Posted by aflegg View Post
No, you don't need a Garage project to upload to extras. For many many things this is not appropriate.

http://maemo.org/community/applicati...epository.html

...gives full instructions - although see recent maemo-developers threads on how the situation is planned to be improved.
I look forward to the streamlining of the process. The current process (in your link) is quite convoluted, or at least how it is layed out I found it daunting, and restricting.

For example, to build expect, I had to build libtcl (from a different source) and then point the expect build to that instance of libtcl (it was not installed). It doesn't really fit the mold that they have created in their instructions.

There's a lot of good software being created/ported to the N800, unfortunately it is spread out on many private websites. Streamlining the process of getting software into the repository will only increase the interest and customer base for the Internet Tablets. Something I look very much forward to.

Craig...

A simple webpage with an upload form to upload a .deb package will be great !

If someone know a such tool in php, maybe we can make our own repository witch integrate most of the third party dev.

Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
A simple webpage with an upload form to upload a .deb package will be great !

If someone know a such tool in php, maybe we can make our own repository witch integrate most of the third party dev.
It has been a couple of years since I wrote this:
http://www.makikiweb.com/n800/downlo..._upload.tar.gz

But there is a problem. It won't handle files larger than 4MB or so. I forget the exact amount, but because it puts the file on standard in, it should be limitless, but it isn't. Never got it to deal with larger files (which is what I was after at the time).

I hope this helps,

Craig...