Posts: 93 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Germany
Hello,

I have a 4 GB external memory card in my n810. To tinker with Navit I removed a rather large movie. IIRC the card was inserted directly into the USB port of my desktop PC. Yet, it seems that no card space was available. If I select all files (including the hidden files) they sum up to 2.1 GB. 10 folders comprising a total of 1 GB and the debian-final.img.ext2 (easyDebian) has about 1.1 GB.

Now I wonder if there is a way to clear / format unused diskspace? Your help is welcome.

Yours,
icke

A shot in the dark - has it anyhing to do with the file system. FAT (FAT16) only supports 2GB. Is it possible you had seperate partitions or something?

From your description it could not be this but worth looking at how the card s formatted.

A good ref on this sibject:

http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials...le.php/2239651

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
if you open xterm on n810 and run

df -h

what does it show the size of the card is?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Germany
At first, thank you very much for your help! I went a pragmatic way and saved the data on my PC, formated the card and retransfered the data.

The output of df - h says - now - that the card has a size of 3.7G.

Still, if there is a general way to handle such issues, I am still interested how to identify and to remove obsolete data.

Again, thanks a lot!
icke

Tags
cleaning, memory card, mmc