Closed Thread
Please Please one with Arrows Maybe there is one like this but with traditional arrow keys? :/
At least i just would buy this, because it will be the only one to buy, but if there were one with arrow Keys i'd prefer this

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by jayki View Post
please please one with arrows maybe there is one like this but with traditional arrow keys? :/
at least i just would buy this, because it will be the only one to buy, but if there were one with arrow keys i'd prefer this
find me one!

(this one costs $4,60 combined for keypad and domesheet)

Last edited by dirkvl; 2014-01-20 at 16:14.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hong Kong, CHINA
Can you type on it as well as the N900 (or N950) keyboard after a few hours of trying?

Can the strange pad be used as directional keys?

If both are yes, I'm for it. Sounds like a great form factor.

Originally Posted by mdengler View Post
Can you type on it as well as the N900 (or N950) keyboard after a few hours of trying?
No idea. The keys are slightly hollow, which is different. The feel of pressing the key is the same to me. But I just have the loose parts.

Originally Posted by mdengler View Post
Can the strange pad be used as directional keys?
It is an arrow pad. 4 arrows with 'ok' in the middle.

Also, still working on the 3D design of the whole thing. Had some idea's that 'worked' but were really complicated. Focusing now on keeping the parts as simple as possible. It's a battle of fitting everything in there and not adding thickness, while avoiding very thin walls.

Last edited by dirkvl; 2014-01-20 at 21:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Just didn't found smoething good in this price class...
So, Can we use the Arrow Pad like the classic arrow Keys?
(like in Terminal or a game)
If yes, i'm for it, too

Originally Posted by jayki View Post
Just didn't found smoething good in this price class...
So, Can we use the Arrow Pad like the classic arrow Keys?
(like in Terminal or a game)
If yes, i'm for it, too
Yes you can.

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I used a Droid for a few days, just before switching to the N900 (ahhh, the good times). I remember that I prefered (a lot) the N900's keyboard. The shape of keys was much better for tactile feedback, I could feel where my fingers were even if they were hiding 4 keys. With the flat keys of the Droid, I never felt so comfortable and the error rate was higher. I'd really prefer any keyboard with concave keys like the N900's. This is not to mention the proper arrow keys and the silent typing of the N900 (some keyboards are very clicky and can't be used in a meeting, this is really important and this aspect must not be overlooked in my opinion).

Of course, if it's the only HWKB OH available, I'll buy it ias soon as it is available. But I think better keyboards may exist, perhaps not as cheap because you would have to buy unecessary parts with it (like BT keyboards for iPhones). I guess this is the problem you are trying to avoid with the Droid keyboard, but to be totally honest, I wouldn't mind throwing 40 more euros in your OH if you could achieve the killer HWKB OH with optimal keyboard design.

Keep up the great work!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
Edit: it is just a but small, only 100mm wide.. Will leave 15mm gaps on both sides.
Sorry, this is probably a wild shot but as I'd like to have access to camera with the kbd closed, as this one is quite short, would it be possible to have it tucked all down to the bottom part of the phone when closed and then, using some hinged arms, swing out in a centered position?
However I recognize that it would not make easy to accomodate such 'pantograph-like' movement with the flat flex.

Originally Posted by minimos View Post
However I recognize that it would not make easy to accomodate such 'pantograph-like' movement with the flat flex.
This is IMO an understatement. Using off-the-shelf parts is key.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Sweden
The Droid keyboard seems good enough, but not perfect.
If the small size means the camera can work (as pointed out earlier), then awesome!

Otherwise there are other Motorola keyboards that are larger:
Motorola Droid 4 (or Photon Q, seems to have the same kbd), available here.

This keyboard is a closer fit to the Jolla, so it might look better as well as having an additional row and larger keys.

One small issue for me (and many more I guess) is that I've only been able to find keyboards with English layout. Has anyone been able to find different layouts (Swedish/Nordic in my case)?
The keys can be remapped, I know, but it still looks wrong

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Henque19 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
keyboard, limited-edition, otherhalf, qwerty