Sony Xperia 10 II would make a great successor for the current SailfishOS Xperia X lineup:

- X no longer maintained by base image / kernel, but otherwise a nice device with good build quality
- XA2 was heavy and fat, fingerprint reader on the wrong position (YMMV)
- X10 I has too small battery for 6'' and no bezel on the bottom which leads to occasional taps

There are a lot of goodies in the new phone like water resistance, OLED display (low power screen here we come), a bezel on the bottom, 3600 mAh battery, 128 GB internal storage, you name it.

This could be a keeper if SailfishOS would be officially supported by Jolla.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nekron For This Useful Post:
With the summer around the corner it makes me wonder where would I keep a 16cm phone when I go out... No short pants have pockets as deep as that

Jolla should have kept support to X (X compact as community port). I had to buy XA2(which is inferior to X) for just a single app. Would be sooo much better to pay Jolla the extra cash for updated android support on the X.

In April Apple sold close to 1 million iPhone SE in China. If Sony could see the potential and come up with a compact device the size of X compact or XZ1 compact. Make the bezels as thin as possible while keeping front facing stereo speakers, use OLED, keep 3.5 jack. It will be the perfect sailfish device to use with one hand only.

Last edited by N77; 2020-05-23 at 15:14.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to N77 For This Useful Post:
There were rumors of X5 II of 5.6'' screen.
But Jolla is reluctant to support high-end costly phones.

And I don't think they have means to fully support their high-end functions (camera, for example).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Nekron View Post
Sony Xperia 10 II would make a great successor for the current SailfishOS Xperia X lineup:

- X no longer maintained by base image / kernel, but otherwise a nice device with good build quality
- XA2 was heavy and fat, fingerprint reader on the wrong position (YMMV)
- X10 I has too small battery for 6'' and no bezel on the bottom which leads to occasional taps

There are a lot of goodies in the new phone like water resistance, OLED display (low power screen here we come), a bezel on the bottom, 3600 mAh battery, 128 GB internal storage, you name it.

This could be a keeper if SailfishOS would be officially supported by Jolla.

To be honest, I think the way they choose and support devices in general just doesn’t work.
When you don’t have enough recourses and your OS is still not ready, you focus all your energy on one device. You choose a successor every couple of years and you keep actively supporting the previous device for another couple of years.
This way you have the “latest and greatest” and just an older device to support (for each cycle).
How hard is this? When you spread yourself too thin trying to support much more devices than you can actually handle, you end up with mediocre results and no one is happy.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nikos523 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 357 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Europe
Originally Posted by nikos523 View Post
You choose a successor every couple of years and you keep actively supporting the previous device for another couple of years.
Problem is that these devices tend to sell out (due to no longer being produced), so new buyers cannot get a new phone to run Sailfish on.

(The only alternative would be to buy two phones, one a spare.).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
Problem is that these devices tend to sell out (due to no longer being produced), so new buyers cannot get a new phone to run Sailfish on.

(The only alternative would be to buy two phones, one a spare.).

That was just an example. You can have a new device every year, it’s not hard to support one new device and push updates for 2 older devices for example.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikos523 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I think this is exactly what Jolla is doing. Supporting only a few devices, right? (Original Jolla sbj1 and XperiaX)
All the other ports are supported by community.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I think this is exactly what Jolla is doing. Supporting only a few devices, right? (Original Jolla sbj1 and XperiaX)
All the other ports are supported by community.

From their website:
“Sailfish X is currently available for Sony Xperia 10, Xperia 10 Plus, single and dual-SIM variants of XA2, Xperia XA2 Plus, Xperia XA2 Ultra, Xperia X, as well as Gemini PDA.”

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nikos523 For This Useful Post:
Jolla should have kept the support for Xperia X no matter what!

They can start supporting as many new devices they want. I dont care. But I payed 50 euro for android support on Xperia X and soon after that Jolla tells me: "sorry, get a new phone and pay us another 50 euro", which is ridiculous.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to N77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
Next device should be Xperia 10 II, or Xperia 10 II Plus

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TMavica For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x