Closed Thread
There's a relative of mine who isn't really that great with computers, he would call me up regularly for help with this or that. Over the years I suggested all kinds of things, for example switching from Windows PCs to Macintoshes, but nothing seemed to work. Desktop computers in general seemed to be the problem, they were a bit too complicated for his needs (basically he just used the web, email and skype).

On a hunch, I suggested that he should get an N800 with a Bluetooth keyboard. I set it up for him, and he took it home. Astonishingly, it worked. The "tech support" calls (mostly) stopped coming, this was a device he could cope with. He even started listening to internet radio, something he never did on desktop machines even when I showed him how.

This really opened my eyes. Before this I'd seen Nokia's internet tablets as mainly for hardcore technology fans, but here was a case of a technophobe finding it easier to use an internet tablet than a mainstream PC.

Anyhow, because of this I decided to set up a site with easy-to-understand tutorials on how to use internet tablets:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...ents-page.html

The videos are meant to accompany the text, the text goes into more detail about each topic but the video hopefully helps to make things clearer.

If anyone has any suggestions for particular topics I should cover on this site, please let me know by replying to this thread or by sending me a Private Message on this forum.

I'd also appreciate any corrections of mistakes in the tutorials, these can be hard to spot when you're writing them yourself.

Last edited by qgil; 2009-04-13 at 18:50.

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Great idea!

I have to admit I'm still reluctant about advising non-GNU/Linux-geeks to buy a N800. BUT: That's because of the way I use it. I do things that need xterm and root access, I use applications that are marked as "highly experimental" by the developers, and I like to push my tablet to its limits.

Thinking of it again, a friend of mine uses his N800 without any trouble. He does call me every now and then because he has problems on his desktop PC or laptop (WinXP both). All of these problems are caused by the "too many factors involved" phenomenon (firewall, some exotic device driver, orphaned registry entries...). None of these are involved on his N800. He uses the device "as is", with only one additional application installed.

So maybe its execatly what some of us see as restrictions what makes the device so easy to handle for beginners.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Very nice. Thank you for doing this, and for writing instructions that are simple, step-by-step and aimed at beginners.

You asked for suggestions - I would suggest a tutorial for intermediate users about how to install apps, how repositories work, etc. Many users are accustomed to just opening an .exe file on a Windows PC.

Great idea for an on line tutorial. I got my N800 last week and am still learning. Not sure whether this is the right form for questions, but you seem to be a N800 evangelist, a couple of quick questions, I am unable to make a direct link to my gmail account - any clues? Is it possible to pre-set a zoom option on the web browser instead of resetting it every time - how do I enable Java applications and what is the browser version. Thank you in anticipation of your help.

Browser version: Start a new browser window, enter about:about as URL. (This works for the standard Opera browser at least). Mine shows 8.5 build 2.0.43
Java: No java for the N800 (yet), unfortunately.

that is wonderful so now we can all learn our way around doing stuff that needs some one to help you with like boot from MMC, phonelink and more . . .

Thanks Man

This is an outstanding idea. I'm a newbie to the N 800, but not so new to computing. Just purchased 3 weeks ago. I think that the first thing any newbie does is try to get all of the cool apps to see what the gadget can do. At least that is my approach. Then move on to learning to develop. I would like to learn how to install: xgalaxian, red pill mode, kagu, canola, and dvd conversion. This is just for starters. I'm going to bookmark your site right now!

Last edited by KingofJames; 2007-09-12 at 15:51. Reason: spelling error

Check out the wiki up there it should help you find different topics you can explore.

Would you know how to switch back to Opera, currently using Firefox? Thx

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by sidofren View Post
Check out the wiki up there it should help you find different topics you can explore.
Unfortunately, this site's wiki is a bit out of date/unorganized. Most of it was written for earlier firmware on the 770, and isn't applicable to the current firmware on the 800. The wiki doesn't sort it out, so sometimes a topic addresses an earlier issue that has been resolved, and this is not apparent.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Maybe you could put up a list of topics that need to be covered, so that people who'd like to help can choose one (or more), do a writeup and present it to you for approval.

I for one would like to offer my (however limited) services, but it's hard to think up topics that might be of interest for new users.

Closed Thread