Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Now can anyone tell me what is different with my Jola, since I have never been hit with this problem.
I can always SSH to my Jolla, just as I can SSH to my N9, whether the screen is on or off. (and on my Jolla I do have the device lock ON, so if I want to access it via the UI then I need to unlock it first...)
Maybe you have your device connected to usb charger? Or you have new enough wlan AP which sends keepalives often enough.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
Maybe you have your device connected to usb charger? Or you have new enough wlan AP which sends keepalives often enough.
No charger there, no. The device is just there on da table in the front of me

And I have used it like this on 2 locations, at my home where I have a Buffalo WHR-G300N (running default SW, no mods in the box) and now here at my parent's house, where I am connected to a DNA mokkula thingy, which is a ZDE model MF80 hotspot...

So, I don't believe it is about the WLAN AP, or else I have been just lucky

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
That explains why I have to try about 4 times before I successfully ssh into my Jolla.

That breaks my workflow too much (I want to be able to transfer files to it while sitting on the table) and I am willing to sacrifice some battery life for that. I'll try disabling suspend.

The Z10 had the best feature ever. An smb share always visible. Compatibility with every machine out there, no additional software needed, and live editing on files via network is supported. I am willing to live with sftp, but having to plug in to transfer files takes me back to pre-N900 days.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
But there has to be other people for whom it works right-out-of-the-box correctly, too, I mean I cannot be the only one here, can I?

have not done any spectacular tweaks to my device, and I reallly don't believe there is something special on my WLAN access points...

But there has to be other people for whom it works right-out-of-the-box correctly, too, I mean I cannot be the only one here, can I?

have not done any spectacular tweaks to my device, and I reallly don't believe there is something special on my WLAN access points...
How is your battery life? With suspend policy disabled it goes close to what was with NFC bug/tohd.service, in 10.5h went from 80% to 35%, WLAN only, 5 minutes email sync, ssh reply instant after all that time. After reenabling, touch to wake is restored and battery went down 1% only in the last hour (and no new ssh connections as previously).

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Most of the time (95%), I can connect straight away, screen off or on through ssh over WLAN.

I'm using a Draytek 2820Vn router.

I've also noticed that if I stop the WLAN connection on the Jolla mid-session, and then reconnect, the ssh resumes without having to login again, no broken pipe errors. I've never noticed that before in my (limited) experience with the n9/n900/other PCs in the past when I've lost a network connection.

Edit: re: battery life. I only suffered a 20% loss in battery over 26 hours, with low usage, but with WIFI active and sim card inserted, and tohd disabled.

Last edited by mrsellout; 2013-12-28 at 12:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland

Works for me out of the box too. Thats why Im suspecting wlan ap's. But either way there is a way to disable suspend if needed.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainisto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Works for me also as I use a fuse ssh-fs to transfer files from my mac and regularly just ssh in at will.

Router at home and work are both avm fritz!box (7390 & 3390).

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
How is your battery life? With suspend policy disabled it goes close to what was with NFC bug/tohd.service, in 10.5h went from 80% to 35%, WLAN only, 5 minutes email sync, ssh reply instant after all that time. After reenabling, touch to wake is restored and battery went down 1% only in the last hour (and no new ssh connections as previously).
After I disabled the TOHD my battery life has been excellent... I used to hook it up to charger every night after a days usage, with 30%...40% juice left, and now I only hook it up every other night or so... forex. now I have 77% left, and I charged it yesterday night, so it's been running about 35 hours straight noww...
(granted, I only have made one call of about 22min, and less than 20min of surfing...)
Howeveer it's been in WLAN all the time I've been in the house, and any random time I ssh into it it works flawlessely
All in all, I am very pleased in that aspect

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Now can anyone tell me what is different with my Jola, since I have never been hit with this problem.
Do the following:
- Unplug Jolla from USB/wall charger
- Login via WLAN to Jolla from PC
- Run top
- Hands away from keyboard

EXPECTED OUTCOME: Top refreshes every few seconds
ACTUAL OUTCOME: Top output does not refresh. It appears as if it hung. Pressing a key refreshes it.

This happens on every other Android device out there too. And on the HP Touchpad.

The device awakens every time there's some traffic (and keeps awake for a few seconds after that because of some Android design failure), so things like sshfs will work. But it will not wake for SIGALRMs, select() timeouts, and other common POSIXy things. It is unusable as a pocket computer.

If your device still refreshes then some other device on your network is throwing unicast traffic to your Jolla, keeping it awake. But I doubt this.

Last edited by javispedro; 2013-12-28 at 22:26.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post: