Active Topics

Does anyone know how to make USB Car Apapters work with the N9? It tells me not enough power from USB to charge device.

its the last picture, looks just like the first one though.

Not sure if this will help but

Input:12-24V DC
Output: 5.0V-1,000mA

The Following User Says Thank You to unoace For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Is it meant for Apple iDevice charging?

If so, then the reason it does not charge your device is because Apple uses different method of identifying a device on the USB bus as dummy charger. You need a special cable or a breakout box so that your N9 recognizes the charger correctly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
FWIW, I bought the black variant in a local pound shop and am successfully using it with my N900. Unlike my original car adapter that came with it, but I blame the USB-port-about-to-break syndrome for the latter.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I'm not sure if it was made specifically for an iphone but it just stated usb adapter.

The Following User Says Thank You to unoace For This Useful Post:
Posts: 665 | Thanked: 2,388 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Zagreb, Croatia
It says current output is 1A but it really isn't. Use original Nokia car chargers. I had no issue with them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knobtviker For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
I've used one that looks like the first picture with both a blackberry and Nokia USB wire and both my N9&N900 have charged successfully.

The power not enough message has flashed a few times before but a few seconds later it usually charges promptly. It could have been a loose wire to be blamed or the USB port on my devices at fault...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 245 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Ljubljana, Slovenia
I believe somewhere on the forum is already an answer why is so, also with a quick & dirty hack (google smth like "car charger USB hack" -- dissassemble charger and connect middle wires; note that might be more easy to modify USB CABLE that connects charger and device).

I have 3 useless (at least for N900, N9 and E7) car chargers, from very cheap (5 EUR) to not so cheap (15 EUR) and finally gave up and bought original nokia DC-20 (dual USB charger). Besides beeing big (in height) works perfect!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sponka For This Useful Post:
I'm not that good with dissemble and assembly. But does the dual USB charger from Nokia work?

my home charger is rated 1200ma /1.2 a maybe you need a little higher output? I think too high though may hurt battery life.

Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by unoace View Post
But does the dual USB charger from Nokia work?
Yea it's working without any problems

Tags
car adapter, charging