Closed Thread
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Windows works fine to reflash the N800...

End of report.

The Windows problems I believe were purported by the original poster and not as retorts.

I maintain that the dude has other issues that pre-existed.

BTW...

Originally Posted by JKolstad
...It sounds much more likely that you have a pirated copy of Windows.
^ this makes the most sence.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The problem with this thread began with the initial hostility. I don't know what kind of reactions people are looking for when they start off that way, other than responses in kind.

It's kind of sad to see us talking past each other though. Geneven is correct that Windows-based updating is advertised and made available-- but by the same token, the points made regarding updating via Linux are equally valid. So the net sum = 0.

It was good (to me) however to see JKolstad's remark about the common mistake of extrapolating one experience to assume many. I can see both sides though, as much as I harp from my angle. It's hard for an individual to look beyond his personal experience and he assumes his bubble represents the world. On the other hand, it's difficult for a community to suffer that very long.

Umm... if I had a point I forgot it. Never mind.

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-05-14 at 20:24.

The OP's problem seems to me to be that he didn't bother to carefully read and follow Nokia's upgrade instructions. They are not difficult, and there are only about five or six steps or so if I remember correctly. In that order or magnitude, at least.
To be fair, lots of people seem to have the tendency to skip seemingly (to them) unimportant points, like where in the sequence you're supposed to plug in the AC adaptor.. (or they skip that part entirely). And it doesn't work, and they get a bit angry.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
(this might seem slightly off-topic but stay with me).

I bought a guitar a little while ago, and I accessorized it with a nice carrying case. I tried it out in the shop and it seemed fine, the salesman demonstrated it. However, when I got home, I couldn't make it work properly, instead of nice music all I got was discordant sounds, no music at all! There were virtually no instructions with it, apart from general care... I've played with it for a few hours and still no luck.

Never having owned a guitar before, I asked a friend and he says I should buy a book about learning to play, and would probably need to take expensive lessons if I want to become any good at it.

Well, I was pretty annoyed, I thought the price of the guitar was all inclusive! I went back to the shop, had to argue with the salesman and eventually got a refund - he treated me like an idiot!

~~ just change "guitar" to "computer" and this is a common theme across the world, change it to "nokia n800" and you get the original post.

Actually, when I bought the N800, I already had done some reading. So I was not too surprised about the "maintanance" I had to do when it came.

The first day I was reading across the internet, tried this and that, installed this and that SW. Fortunately, the first thing I did was reflashing. Read somewhere to do flashing first before any other configuration or installation.

While this was all fun to me, and part of the first N800 experience, I thought that for a real newbie without much knowledges, this gadget would certainly not be the right thing to buy. Just imagine, there was no handbook, just a paper how to insert the battery and how to connect to internet.

So would I recommend the N800 to my computer illiterate neighbour? Certainly not.

Would I recommend it to my hacker friends? Certainly yes!

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Fortunately, the first thing I did was reflashing. Read somewhere to do flashing first before any other configuration or installation.
consider windows before XP service pack 2 - no firewall by default, so most people connecting up their shiny new computer to the internet would be 0wned within minutes!

the lesson here is that computers of most types are simply unsuitable for use by noobs without supervision by competent person!

Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Actually, when I bought the N800, I already had done some reading. So I was not too surprised about the "maintanance" I had to do when it came.

The first day I was reading across the internet, tried this and that, installed this and that SW. Fortunately, the first thing I did was reflashing. Read somewhere to do flashing first before any other configuration or installation.

While this was all fun to me, and part of the first N800 experience, I thought that for a real newbie without much knowledges, this gadget would certainly not be the right thing to buy. Just imagine, there was no handbook, just a paper how to insert the battery and how to connect to internet.

So would I recommend the N800 to my computer illiterate neighbour? Certainly not.

Would I recommend it to my hacker friends? Certainly yes!

I wouldn't recommend any computer to my computer illiterate neighbor.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
I wouldn't recommend any computer to my computer illiterate neighbor.
Well... maybe a Mac -- without its power plug.

first, the title is not misleading. the hardware doesn't work. when people buy something they should have an expectation it will work, and if it doesn't work, have some sort of way, in documentation, to figure out what is wrong with it.

Expending resources on the trivial, like making sure the clock on the host computer is synched is one of, if not the single, stupiest thing i have ever seen a program attempt, it has nothing whatever to do with the application, it's just something some incompetent put in the system because he couldn't write the code he needed to write to make the device work.

Second, i've used linux for seven years, i have installed every redhat between release six and nine, debian and ubuntu each of which had problems but, as noted, each of which cost me not one dime. i knew that i was getting into when i got into it, though, to be honest, on many occasions the lack of documentation on linux caused problems. that said it ran and still runs and i got it up.

this is a device bought in a store for a retail price, and, to be perfectly honest it is a piece of junk. there is no documentation (for $400 a manual would be nice) and no customer for any product ought to be obliged to spend any effort whatever much less the effort you seem to think is normal for customers. i'd dare say if you bought a car which didn't run and gave you an error message "the car isn't running" and everyone thought you ought to have to learn out to be a mechanic to use it, you might be a little put off...or your toaster, or a radio, or a computer.

it's shoddy workmanship, poorly documented with limited support (nokia has never acknowledged the email i sent requresting support, but sent a nice customer survey form, asking what i thought of their non-existant customer service).

perhaps my experience, for those of you who had that comment, will be a part of the "homework" others who might expect a device which works when they buy this (without a couple of hundred hours personal research....can't you see apple expecting this with ipods?) can have the benefit of my experience. i bought the device, it didn't work, included with what i bought there is nothing which will help troubleshoot the problem, and nokia has no available resources to help get a defective device working, or even identify the problem.

their customer service email (as i quoted later, i got a message from them as soon as i got off this forum, what a coincidence) has technical issues (why am i not surprised. According to them you may experience "longer than normal" waiting times for their phone support, and the forum they listed in the documentation as a place to go for help is full of folks who are defensive about their purchase (and one nokia employee, evidently if that fellow gave accurate info) and have no idea either what may be wrong. i did learn, though, that my problem seems to be unique, and no one else seems on this forum seems to have had the same problem, though no resources are available to exactly identify what is wrong.

if someone asked me (and people do), i'll tell them to avoid nokia equipment, and i'll have this experience to point to so that they will know why i make i am making the recommendation.

Last edited by cdstrand; 2007-05-14 at 19:43.

Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
(this might seem slightly off-topic but stay with me).

I bought a guitar a little while ago, and I accessorized it with a nice carrying case. I tried it out in the shop and it seemed fine, the salesman demonstrated it. However, when I got home, I couldn't make it work properly, instead of nice music all I got was discordant sounds, no music at all! There were virtually no instructions with it, apart from general care... I've played with it for a few hours and still no luck.

Never having owned a guitar before, I asked a friend and he says I should buy a book about learning to play, and would probably need to take expensive lessons if I want to become any good at it.

Well, I was pretty annoyed, I thought the price of the guitar was all inclusive! I went back to the shop, had to argue with the salesman and eventually got a refund - he treated me like an idiot!

~~ just change "guitar" to "computer" and this is a common theme across the world, change it to "nokia n800" and you get the original post.
this is one of the sillier things i read...just change "ipod" for guitar and you will have a similar example.

if your guitar made no noise at all (an "internet tablet" which doesn't connect to the internet would seem to be closer to what my experience with the n800 has been) that would be somewhat similar, but an internet tablet is not a guitar, it should connect to the internet without any problem whatever, just like an ipod should play music, right out of the box.

coming to a forum of "fans" of a device is a mistake.

a couple of other comments i would like to make as i paged through this thread.

my copy of windows, like almost everyone else's, came on my computer, before there was anything like "windows genuine advantage", so i am sort of stuck with it, unless i want to go through the effort to install linux on another computer (i don't).

second, that is not the main issue, the main issue is that the n800 doesn't work. it won't connect to the internet, it says it is connected, it sends data (according to it) but the two routers i have administrative priveleges on don't see it, and the free networks and other secured networks i tried to get on all have the same symptoms. i thought flashing the operating system (which i did, finally, after being very inconvenienced) had no effect on the problem at all, the same symptoms recur.

the device, in short, doesn't seem to work, now i have to drive 50 miles to return it.

it's a beating, and everyone who thinks this device ought to work, whether they know linux or not, is making, from my experience a mistake buying one.

i'd have a lot more sympathy for you all if someone at the comp usa had told me that this thing was going to take dozens, if not hundreds, of manhours to get working, in addition to the $400 i already spent.

last, the issue i have with the damned thing not synching up with their tool on my computer is that making sure the time was synched on my computer is totally unecessary for the proper working of the application. Updating the operating system has nothing to do with what some bozo at microsoft time server thinks the time is.

Last edited by cdstrand; 2007-05-14 at 19:44.

Closed Thread