Closed Thread
90% of the posts in here because too many words are used to explain stuff and all this Lynix stuff is lost on me... but... I love it when people post actual commands to use in X-Term... for example in another post I wanted to know how to install kismet, dsniff, aircrack, etc... and I was told to go read pages and pages of stuff which wasn't malicious because the guy tried his best to help me BUT I rather have been told...

Load X-Term and type the following...

sudo su -
password? <enter>
sudo gainroot
apt-get update
apt-get install wirelesstools
apt-get install kismet
apt-get install dsniff
apt-get install aircrack-ng
apt-get install aircrack-ptw

Now my question AGAIN is... HOW DO I CRACK WIFI??? I want simple command lines to use in X-Term... I don't care to know HOW it works... Just want to get internet access outside when all the WiFi is locked. I tried typing in "dnsniff" and it says it is "listening" to "0wlan" or something like that... WHAT do I type next?

If the InternetTabletTalk gods are willing, I think a tutorial section in the forums is appropriate. It would be very helpful for people like me to get up to speed.

I don't care to know HOW it works... Just want to get internet access outside when all the WiFi is locked.
But that's just it: If you don't at least have some understanding of HOW it works, it won't always work! If, for example, you sniff a locked access point, you may get lucky and pick an AP with lots of traffic, which generates lots of weak keys, and then aircrack can crack them for you. You may also get an AP with essentially no traffic, and then you'd have to perform packet injection to get the AP to spew enough weak keys. Or, the third possibility is that you'll sniff a WPA-encrypted network, with a good, strong key and not be able to crack it in any sort of reasonable time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for explicit instructions, and try to provide them myself, but just blindly typing what I've found on web pages has gotten me into trouble before - accidentally formatting the wrong partition as a newbie, deleting important files, etc..., because my setup was different from what's on the web page. You still have to stop and think about HOW it is going to work before you SHOULD proceed.

Finally - beware that connecting to anyone's access point without prior consent (even open AP's) is defined in the US as theft of communications bandwidth, and is a federal felony. There have been prosecutions, mainly when individuals were using the AP's for illegal purposes, but it's still something to think about. If the prosecution can show that you had to crack their WEP key beforehand, my guess is you'd have a much more difficult defense than if you connected to an open AP. I'm not a lawyer, and I don't think the LEGALITY of using open access points matches the ETHICS (i.e., I don't feel it's unethical, even if technically illegal) of using such an AP, but who wants to be a test case and set legal precedent? Not condemning it, just pointing it out!

Again, you still have to stop and think about HOW it is going to work before you SHOULD proceed.

And I second the motion for a Tutorials section - or maybe a sticky thread to a maemo wiki page of tutorials?

http://europe.nokia.com/A4305009

Perhaps this might help

The Following User Says Thank You to jschon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
First, there are several sites with explicit instructions on how to use airodump, aireplay, and aircrack to break WEP keys. We should probably have a tutorial section, but let's not reinvent the wheel.

However, secondly, I'm chiming in with gsagers. It looks like euchreprof simply wants to blindly break WEP keys to use networks that are trying to keep him/her out. I'd go a step further than gsagers: if you are breaking something without consent, that is indeed unethical. Just because you CAN enter someone's house certainly does not mean that it is PERMITTED or that you should.

Go to your local coffee shop or public library and use their networks. You've got permission there!

-F

Originally Posted by frethop View Post
I'd go a step further than gsagers: if you are breaking something without consent, that is indeed unethical. Just because you CAN enter someone's house certainly does not mean that it is PERMITTED or that you should.

Go to your local coffee shop or public library and use their networks. You've got permission there!
No, I specifically said OPEN access points. If someone has encrypted it, I don't feel that should be legal or ethical, if it's open you don't know whether it's intentional or not, so it shouldn't automatically be illegal. Best advice, though, is to only use those you have permission to use.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
If a resource is protected in any way, by default or design, breaking into it gets one into dangerous territory. Therefore I disagree with gsagers' assertion above. It is in fact flawed logic (assuming I read it right, which I'm not sure I did).

This isn't my forum, and I may be in the minority, but in my opinion this isn't the forum for such activities or related discussions. It's Reggie's call of course, but I'm sure he realizes there could be liability ramifications in allowing such dialog to go unchecked. I urge everyone to not put Reggie at such risk, and take such discussions elsewhere.

If I'm out of line, and Reggie says so, I'll shut up on the subject.

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-05-01 at 15:08.

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
Originally Posted by euchreprof View Post
Now my question AGAIN is... HOW DO I CRACK WIFI??? I want simple command lines to use in X-Term... I don't care to know HOW it works... Just want to get internet access outside when all the WiFi is locked. I tried typing in "dnsniff" and it says it is "listening" to "0wlan" or something like that... WHAT do I type next?
first, you have to expect a learning curve with anything new you try. though you have experience, however limited, with windows you must understand that linux is different and you have to learn how.

second, there is an ethical issue in cracking wifi, that no one here will support. you have expressed malice aforethought, not security based understanding. you want to steal internet access by defeating measueres intended to prevent theft of service.

if you were looking for information on how security worked and willing to learn new things, the story would be different. good luck on your search and i hope your script kiddie ******** is banned here.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Just to be absolutely clear (maybe what I typed above has a logic flaw!), I do not support or condone breaking encryption to get at someone's wifi. Neither ethical nor legal.

I'm not saying you should hijack a neighbor's open AP either! Use AP's you have permission to use!

Originally Posted by euchreprof View Post
euchreprof, if you want things to "just work" without taking the trouble to understand anything about them, I would suggest that you stick to Windows, or at the very least to the preinstalled apps on the Nokia tablets.

Babysitting you, as you *demand*, would be twice inefficient : first, a waste of the time of helpful, knowledgeable people retyping and dumbing down information that is readily available elsewhere, just because you are too lazy to look it up ; second, because at some point in those instructions something might (will) go wrong, due to a typo or small difference between the writer's setup and yours, and then you still won't know what to do and come back grumbling and whining for more.

Some things take learning. Do you also want us to teach you to play the guitar and piano in 24hrs without any effort on your part ?

Remember the Chinese saying : "Give a man a fish, he will eat for one day. Teach him to fish, he will eat for the rest of his life". That applies to virtual fish, too :-)

Last edited by fpp; 2007-05-01 at 17:59.

Closed Thread