Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ The Netherlands
Well, i'm very content with the update... no crashed and a lot more speed!!!

My official YAY!!!!

I had one crash with the flash player opening the 770 home page at Nokia. Embarrassing that.

Apart from that, it's much snappier in response. Apps load quicker, videos take less time to start playing and app switching is much quicker.

There are still some e-mail issues - where messages don't get deleted from my 770 when I've deleted them from the server but all-in-all I must concur with Cuckoo, a pretty decent upgrade.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Pretty good experience with the upgrade so far - WPA WiFi is much better - but I do have some relatively minor issues:

1. I'm seeing some wierd font rendering at certain zoom levels on web pages - eg. this forum at 150%, Optimised View, full screen - there's very occasional pixel doubling on some lines which disappear if I press Home and then return to the web page

2. The audio player no longer correctly streams audio from my Slimserver 6.2.1 server... it plays a track for a second or two, then skips to the next track for a second or two, then to the next track, then the next... Shoutcast streams from the internet seem fine.

3. The news reader is showing some wierd character/glyph (a square with the numbers 20 above 09 on two lines) for some "FT Companies" news feeds

Two things I wish they would fix is the option to display the home page clock in 24 hour format, and for the "Last updated" time on the home page News panel to be in 24 hour format - or at least give an indication of AM/PM!

Can anyone list down the enhancements that is probably listed in the readme file or something, so we can create an article about it?

Thanks.

Posts: 148 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Stimutax, AZ
Originally Posted by Reggie
Can anyone list down the enhancements that is probably listed in the readme file or something, so we can create an article about it?

Thanks.
Well, someone could go through the maemo-commits mailing list, but it won't be me.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted by gultig
Well, someone could go through the maemo-commits mailing list, but it won't be me.
If viewing the progress in the maemo commits doesn't get anyone exited they had better check to see if they have a pulse.

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by Milhouse

1. I'm seeing some wierd font rendering at certain zoom levels on web pages - eg. this forum at 150%, Optimised View, full screen - there's very occasional pixel doubling on some lines which disappear if I press Home and then return to the web page
Yeah the browser definately needs some work. For example this page http://planetsix.perl-foundation.org/ The font size is all wrong. gpe mini-browser seems to render it correctly.
2. The audio player no longer correctly streams audio from my Slimserver 6.2.1 server... it plays a track for a second or two, then skips to the next track for a second or two, then to the next track, then the next... Shoutcast streams from the internet seem fine.
No problem with Slimserver overhere...

Two things I wish they would fix is the option to display the home page clock in 24 hour format, and for the "Last updated" time on the home page News panel to be in 24 hour format - or at least give an indication of AM/PM!
Isnīt that a regional issue? Mine is in 24 hour format already. Maybe tey should make the regional settings customizable.

As the update on the Nokia site is windows only, I got the .bin file from maemo.org and ran the Mac flasher following the Howto at http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HOWTO_Fla...ImageWithLinux

Note that this method doesn't give you any nastygrams about taking backups etc beforehand, like I imagine the windows installer does, so if you want backups, you had better sort them out before trying this...

Cube:~/Downloads gwaant$ ./flasher.macosx -F Nokia_770_0.2005.45-8.bin -f -R
Found image 2nd (length 8576)
Found image secondary (length 79360)
Found image xloader (length 13824)
Found image initfs (length 1567360)
Found image kernel (length 1481728)
Found image rootfs (length 57540608)
Suitable USB device not found, waiting
USB device found found at bus 002, device address 002-0421-0105-02-00
Found board Nokia 770 (F5)
NOLO version 0.9.0
Sending X-Loader image (13 kB)...
100% (13 of 13 kB, avg. 642 kB/s)
Sending secondary image (77 kB)...
100% (77 of 77 kB, avg. 775 kB/s)
Flashing X-Loader... done.
Sending kernel image (1447 kB)...
100% (1447 of 1447 kB, avg. 795 kB/s)
Flashing kernel... done.
Sending initfs image (1530 kB)...
100% (1530 of 1530 kB, avg. 795 kB/s)
Flashing initfs... done.
Sending and flashing rootfs image (56192 kB)...
100% (56192 of 56192 kB, avg. 647 kB/s)
Finishing flashing... done
Cube:~/Downloads gwaant$
As others have said, browser connectivity is much better .. Bluetooth pairing with my P910i still fails though ...

Cheers ... Gwaant

Much, much better. It's now working like I had expected! Still a little buggy but almost, dare I use the phrase... 'Snappy'....!

I bet this is why they delayed the shipments ...probably worried about the initial reactions to speed and connectivity..

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by henry
Isnīt that a regional issue? Mine is in 24 hour format already. Maybe tey should make the regional settings customizable.
You're right! I'm using English (UK) as my region, I tried Netherlands and the clock changed to 24 hour format (though the News reader "Last Updated" time stubbornly remained in 12 hour format with no indication of am/pm). This is a terrible (and fundamental) design decision - there should be a seperate preference to choose 12/24 hour clock format, which all applications then abide by! The preference for a 12 or 24 hour clock format has nothing to do with where I am from - what were Nokia thing off?!