Closed Thread
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Continuing from:

Originally Posted by Stskeeps:

On a silly sidenote: I had MeeGo base system running on my N810 with 2.6.33 kernel (+ Termanas, luke-jr's patches) some weeks ago.

and then by lma:

Cool :-) Obviously I've missed a couple of episodes because I thought we were still stuck in the state described here. Do you have a pointer to something describing the current situation, especially what bits are still missing?

and me:

Any takers to start a MeeGo hardware adaptation for N8x0?

and then lma:

Definitely interested (though I'm not a kernel hacker), where do we start?

-
So, this is a thread on starting work on a hardware adaptation for Nokia N8x0. (http://meego.com/developers/hardware-enabling-process). While I doubt we can be a first quality port due to need to upstream patches, we can try things and see how far we can get.

A starter is to grab the current kernel package from http://repo.meego.com/MeeGo/devel/tr....1-8.2.src.rpm , modify this with Termana and luke-jr's patches.

If we ask nicely, I think it should be possible to get repackaging done through my distmaster position so we can get the different firmwares, BME, etc provided through similar means (RPM repository) as tablets-dev.nokia.com does with the MeeGo on N900 things. So, we have a good start.

We can probably start with the chroot images (tar.gz) for N900 as they are fairly generic and the kickstart files.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
I can't code myself, but I have a N810 lying at home. How can I help?

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Australia
I can help out with the kernel work. Do we need to rebase everything onto the provided MeeGo kernel source?

The Following User Says Thank You to Termana For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Termana View Post
I can help out with the kernel work. Do we need to rebase everything onto the provided MeeGo kernel source?
Yes. It is bare linus tree plus some patches.

Also, http://wiki.meego.com/Developing_in_a_Meego_Environment is a good start. I can recommend getting a Fedora VM to do this in.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Hey this is a neat idea.. I have a spare N810 that I can use for testing this!

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
If we ask nicely, I think it should be possible to get repackaging done through my distmaster position so we can get the different firmwares, BME, etc provided through similar means (RPM repository) as tablets-dev.nokia.com does with the MeeGo on N900 things.
We can also use the ones conveniently provided on the initfs, at least to start with.

What's the best strategy for dual-booting (KEXEC vs bootmenu) btw? Is there anything I can do on the Diablo community SSU side to make this easier?

We can probably start with the chroot images (tar.gz) for N900 as they are fairly generic and the kickstart files.
Will those binaries run on OMAP2 or do we need to rebuild them with ARMv6-appropriate flags?

Originally Posted by lma View Post
Will those binaries run on OMAP2 or do we need to rebuild them with ARMv6-appropriate flags?
Yes, they're built for ARMv5.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
excellent!
keeping n8x0 as workhorses is a great way to show power of the platform.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Hm, chroot complains "FATAL: kernel too old", and LD_LIBRARY_PATH mangling results in segfaults. I guess we really do need a fresh kernel...

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ England
i would test it on a n800 someone gave me instructions to install

Closed Thread

Tags
hardware adaptation, meego