http://maemo.org/community/brainstor..._media_player/

"Allow Media Player to read and display subtitles for video files. "

Discuss!

Last edited by qgil; 2010-01-19 at 17:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
I would love to get subtitles

Posts: 378 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
If this feature was added.. i would no longer look forward to mplayer or vlc player release for n900

Have it support *.srt, *.sub and maybe even dvd ripped subtitles(idx/sub) wich technically are images shown as a layer on top of the video layer, instead of text files being rendered on top of the video layer.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Prague, Czech Republic
Hi all,

everyone who wants to try subtitles support in media player, please try to install gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-subtitles and mafw-gst-renderer from attachment extras-devel repository.

I'm planning to upload it to extras-devel, but before that:
- I want write a simple control panel applet for changing subtitles font and encoding (for now it's possible only by changing gconf keys directly).
eg.:
gconftool-2 -s /system/mafw/mafw-gst-renderer/subtitle_encoding -t string "CP1250"
gconftool-2 -s /system/mafw/mafw-gst-renderer/subtitle_font -t string "Sans Bold 18"
- Create fork of mafw-gst-renderer package eg.: mafw-gst-subtitles-renderer

BTW: You need to have Maemo 5 PR1.1 installed

Last edited by rmoravcik; 2010-01-19 at 15:03.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rmoravcik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 458 | Thanked: 783 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ France
Hi,

Just installed, tested, and it work properly.

Also, since PR1.1 update I was unable to play these files with subtitle encoded by HandBrake, symptoms :

MediaPlayer show the points animation looping and doesn't start to play anymore.

So, it look like your packages fix this problem ...

Thanks, I think you can put those quickly in extras-devel NOW !!!

A++

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
I'm trying to test this out but seem to be falling victim to the "Getting tired of Maemo/N900 movie playback" thread, lol. I can't find anything with subs that will play in the media player

EDIT: Success! I needed a reboot. At first skipping to a later point killed the subs, but they came back when I skipped to the beginning of the movie and I can't seem to recreate the issue. Great work!

Last edited by sadfist; 2010-01-15 at 13:21.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
I want thisfeature in Media Player. There might be things I will like about Media player that I won't like about VLC or some other video player app.

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
Another thought on this. One movie I played seems to have the chapter numbers from the DVD on a text track, which now show up as subtitles. We need the ability to turn subtitles on/off. If you could add that to your control panel applet that'd be awesome.

I'd prefer the subtitle on/off option to be available from the menu in the media player, not sure if that level of access to the media player is available to devs or if Nokia would have to implement that.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 279 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Prague, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by sadfist View Post
Another thought on this. One movie I played seems to have the chapter numbers from the DVD on a text track, which now show up as subtitles. We need the ability to turn subtitles on/off. If you could add that to your control panel applet that'd be awesome.

I'd prefer the subtitle on/off option to be available from the menu in the media player, not sure if that level of access to the media player is available to devs or if Nokia would have to implement that.
Thanks, I will add option to turn on/off subtitles to control panel applet.

The Following User Says Thank You to rmoravcik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
@rmoravcik, it works perfectly.

This is something what I was really missing. I was using VLC until now, but I prefer the stock media player and it is more battery friendly.

Thank you very much.

PS, please, when it is more end-user prepared, announce it in every place possible. I read this post almost by accident, and saw it.

The Following User Says Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:

Tags
lyrics music, media player