as a fairly new N800 user (got it at the start of may) but semi-competent Linux user are the instructions for putting Diablo onto a memory card basically the same as previous OS2008 incarnations (flash firmware, then copy it onto the card) or are there special instructions/proceedures that I'll need to follow?

Got to wait for the tools. Even if you copy flash to SD...you still have the problem that Fanoush is lazy and hasn't finished a new bootmenu. I don't see why when he's had at least 8 or so hours to do it. I'm getting tired of waiting...aren't you?

Does anyone know that the old bootmenu doesn't work?

If you're getting tired of waiting... you could always try it.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Does anyone know that the old bootmenu doesn't work?

If you're getting tired of waiting... you could always try it.
Old boot menu definitely won't work. This is an entirely new version 2008-24 initfs (and entirely bigger). I'm pretty sure Fanoush has a safeguard in his initfs_flasher script that should prevent you from installing it.

hehe fair enough. I wasn't complaining, just asking... will keep running the older version until we get a boot menu Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

You know initfs_flasher starts from the existing initfs, not from it's own image? It then adds and removes stuff from there. I'm trying to recover my SD boot now, so I'm not flashing Diablo yet, or I'd try. But I'm pretty sure it should work with at most minimal modifications. And you can always remount the initfs read-write, and just modify it yourself... It's not that hard, once there's enough free space to be writable.

jjstewart is right - it prevents you from automatically updating the initfs.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
You know initfs_flasher starts from the existing initfs, not from it's own image? It then adds and removes stuff from there. I'm trying to recover my SD boot now, so I'm not flashing Diablo yet, or I'd try. But I'm pretty sure it should work with at most minimal modifications. And you can always remount the initfs read-write, and just modify it yourself... It's not that hard, once there's enough free space to be writable.
Why did you have to go and say that? I'll be up for hours playing with it now!

The Following User Says Thank You to codeMonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by jjstewart View Post
I'm pretty sure Fanoush has a safeguard in his initfs_flasher script that should prevent you from installing it.
He surely did !

Well, Fanoush released it now, so don't bother...

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
hey i just updated my NIT to diablo.... can i still use the .deb file from PD's bootmenu? if not can pls any one direct me to it.... thanks