Posts: 155 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Tokyo, Japan
Hello auyongtc,

FedEx didn't charge me a 5% consumption, nor was I charged any VAT. I paid only for the unit and eXpansys special shipping charge of 2750 yen. the N810 was 43600 Yen.

Originally Posted by auyongtc View Post
TokyoDan, let me know how it turned out for you. I'm in Tokyo as well and was planning on getting one. How much did you have to pay in total, and let me know if FedEx will charge you a 5% consumption tax when delivering to you.

Enjoy!

Also the actual N810 box was a little bent up because it was shipped in a large, brown, padded paper envelope, something you'd expect a sweater to be shipped in. Also the paper sticker on the side of the box was sliced open (for customs inspection I guess), but the silver paper-metallic tape that tapes the front cover flap to the bottom of the box to keep it from being opened wasn't sliced so I don't think customs could get a good look inside. But when I opened the box, inside was a beautiful new, N810. No scratches nor fingerprints. So I trust it is really new and that eXpanse is a good company to deal with.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Cool, glad to have you "on board".
Really keep us up to date with your brand new experience with you new N810.

I am always open to new ways of using it.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Dan, you sound like the sort of guy who will really enjoy the N810. It's good to read your posts.

I sure will anidel, and I intend to keep everybody up to date on my activities in more ways than one. And in my new project I want to challenge myself to use computing devices (desktops/laptops) other than the N810 only when it's impossible to do what I'm trying to do on the N810.

Does anyone know of any audio apps/utilities (like audacity) that run on the N810? Also is there a FTP client. I know I could probably use the ftp command from the terminal, but I prefer a GUI instead of typing in commands.

One more thing. I know that when the N810 is connected to a computer via USB that the N810 looks like a normal storage device. Well, what happens when a storage device is connected to the N810 via USB? e.g. Will my iRiver iFP 795 MP3 player/recorder look like a storage device to the N810 as the iRiver does to a PC? In other words, will I be able to transfer MP3 recordings from the iRiver to the N810?

Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Cool, glad to have you "on board".
Really keep us up to date with your brand new experience with you new N810.

I am always open to new ways of using it.

There's a nice utility called 'usbcontrol' that let's you control the behavior of the USB port.
Normally the N810 will behave as a client host and will behave like a mass storage device when connected to a computer with a miniB cable (the one provided by Nokia in the box).
i.e. is you attach a USB mass storage to it, it'll ignore it (as both devices will behave as client devices)

If you are able to find and buy a miniA cable than the N810 will notice it and behave as a HOST (i.e. like a small laptop) and will behave the opposite.

I.e. if you attach a USB mass storage, it'll mount it (as, this time, the N810 will behave like a normal computer).

If you can'tfind the miniA cable, than the application 'usbcontrol' if for you. It will let you choose (by means of a UI) what mode the N810 should be in.

The Following User Says Thank You to anidel For This Useful Post:
I've done a couple of tutorials on using USB Control, for flash drives and USB keyboards, but the same method could conceivably be used to attach any USB device as long as it doesn't draw too much power from the tablet (for example an HDD with its own external power source should work):

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...nnect-usb.html

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...-ordinary.html

As far as I know there's no danger to the tablet in connecting a USB device, so if you want to find out what happens, try it.

The method in the tutorials requires a F-F USB adaptor which costs just a handful of dollars or euros or pounds because it's basically just a bit of metal.

Last edited by krisse; 2008-05-29 at 14:42.

Oh yeah, right.. I always forget to point people to your tabletschool Krisse!

Sorry about that!

Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Oh yeah, right.. I always forget to point people to your tabletschool Krisse!

Sorry about that!
Don't worry, I'm always here to plug it! ;-)

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2008 @ San Diego, CA
Congrats on your new unit. Mine just came in the mail yesterday as well but unlike you I had to get it going the second I got it in the door. So far this is a great device. I have been trying out all kinds of apps and this I think will certainly replace my Samsung Q1 UMPC. This fits my needs better than waiting for the Q1 to boot.

I have also been looking into the Fon service as I will be in Tokyo for a few weeks next month and it looks like there is decent coverage there. I will be interested to hear how your experiance is with that service.