Posts: 31 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ NJ USA
Originally Posted by mwiktowy View Post
(*) There are a few apps that give you this info: iphome and homeip being two that I know about. If you are able to get root access with your terminal 'ifconfig' will give you that info too. There may also be a way to dig that info out of your wireless properties through the normal built-in interface but I have forgotten and don't have wireless access right now to check for you.
Ummm, ok, newbie question. I type iphome and homeip into my N800 and get

-sh not found

error. Do I have to be root? (I'm back home now, using my home wifi router, so I can't check the hotel, it's 2000 miles away, but still . . .)

No idea. Mine works the way it's supposed to. Are you opening a new browser window, and entering a URL? Or something else? I'm not clear on exactly what you're doing in which order, unfortunately.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by MP2100 View Post
Ummm, ok, newbie question. I type iphome and homeip into my N800 and get

-sh not found

error. Do I have to be root? (I'm back home now, using my home wifi router, so I can't check the hotel, it's 2000 miles away, but still . . .)
iphome is here -
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/iphome/
homeip is here -
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/homeip

They both are widgits that sit on your desktop.
Just install the package. No root or pills of any kind required.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebrindle For This Useful Post:
Code:
/sbin/ifconfig
If you don't feel like installing anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Maybe it is one of those 'internet explorer only' pages that failed web designers like making?

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Code:
/sbin/ifconfig
If you don't feel like installing anything.
Quite right. I did suggest that but mistakenly thought that you needed to be root to execute it. Apparently you just need to be root to have the /sbin/ in your path so you can lazily just type 'ifconfig'. If you type in the whole path it works just fine as a regular user and you IP shows up under the "inet addr" line in the "wlan0" section.

Thanks Benson.

Originally Posted by ebrindle View Post
iphome is here -
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/iphome/
homeip is here -
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/homeip

They both are widgits that sit on your desktop.
Just install the package. No root or pills of any kind required.
Ya ... what ebrindele said. ;]

I have them both installed.

homeip is a very simple, nice looking, small footprint desktop applet. That is the one I have on all the time. I found it tricky to install though. Hopefully the author has worked out all the dependency issues.

iphome is a simple but larger footprint applet that gives a little more info. I switch that on if I am having issues as it tells me the Tx and Rx errors and indicates whether my issues are due signal reception or bad configuration somewhere.

iphome has been around as long as the Nokia tablets have existed. homeip is pretty new but has nifty transparency.

Be aware that some APs do get into some confused state that allow you to connect with them but don't let traffic though. I have had that situation where the only thing to do was to reboot the AP and all was good again. It sounds like this was not the scenario in MP2100's case since you could connect fine with a laptop but something to watch for that has nothing to do with the tablet but rather buggy AP firmware. I have had a lot of luck in connecting my tablet to strange APs.

Posts: 112 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Victoria, BC
I have had occasional problems logging into sites that have the login as a popup window. I have no idea what the solution is, bein a noob myself.

Originally Posted by JoeF View Post
I have had occasional problems logging into sites that have the login as a popup window. I have no idea what the solution is, bein a noob myself.
A very good point. Some of those security proxies would popup a separate window for authentication. If you has Javascript disabled or pop-ups blocked, you would just get a blank screen.

Something to check next time would be your browser settings in the menu:
Tools -> Settings ... "General" tab (at least that is where it is on the default MicroB browser in OS2008). If Javascript and pop-ups are disabled there, you would *definitely* have issues with authentication screens silently not working sometimes.

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
Maybe it is one of those 'internet explorer only' pages that failed web designers like making?

I am afraid that this is the problem. I have used my N800 on quite a few of those "login" pages. Usually it works, sometimes it does not. Under OS2007, I had a choice of browser and when it did not work with Opera, it worked with microB (or vice versa). Under OS2008 you are stuck.

You can call this a bug with micro browser or a poor implementation of the login page if you wish.

Note that this problem sometimes also happens with the configuration pages of some routers and on some web sites (a car rental company used to be my major gripe). It also happens with Safari, which I use on my Mac. I have been told it even happens on older versions of Internet Explorer.

Considering that the best help you are going to get from the web site designers themselves is a canned answer like "download and install the last version of Internet Explorer" (even if you ask for the N800...), I would simply suggest that you bring your business somewhere else.