Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
um... soon?
Surely you must receive some sort of bonus for taunting us and increasing the rate of baldness.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by jzencovich View Post
...spill the secrets. All of them. in your grayish-orangeish brain of yours.
Ah, it'll never work. He'll just imitate Chunk from The Goonies:
Everything. OK! I'll talk! In third grade, I cheated on my history exam. In fourth grade, I stole my uncle Max's toupee and I glued it on my face when I was Moses in my Hebrew School play. In fifth grade, I knocked my sister Edie down the stairs and I blamed it on the dog...

Originally Posted by Navi View Post
Sounds more like an early April Fool's joke to me.
No, Nokia is releasing it then, so that all the gadget sites (and texrat) can play an April Fool's joke on us by denying it, and the only person to buy one the first day will be an Apple dude who mistook it for an iPod Touch, only to return ir in disgust when he finds it has a <disgusted-fanboy-voice>keyboard</disgusted-fanboy-voice>.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Ah, it'll never work. He'll just imitate Chunk from The Goonies:
Well, that'd be better than the infuriating, ambiguous, doublespeak hints, wouldn't it? Then we could just ignore him for a while.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by wizink View Post
Surely you must receive some sort of bonus for taunting us and increasing the rate of baldness.
Hey, great idea!

/me scurries off to propose new bonus incentive...

I'm not sure how anyone can release a product based on WiMax today due to the multiple frequencies that are used to support WiMax between licensed and unlicensed spectrum throughout the world and I seriously doubt Nokia is going to spend the time and effort to support all the frequencies on a product that, on the revenue scale, is nothing more then a drop in a 100 gallon bucket. http://www.dailywireless.org/2008/02...ployment-maps/

You guys need to quit thinking about the status quo, and picture the future.

Can someone explain what wiimax is in layman's terms?

texrat I love you, but WiMax is three years out from full scale adoption if even possible. Even then it conflicts with Europe and Asia. Sprint nearly went under last year because of WiMax costs. Google has a better plan and it couldn't even follow through because it was too costly. The new spectrum auctions offer a solution again three years out. This is an area that only the federal government can finance and help build, states will also need to play a major role. It would be wiser for Nokia to focus it's resources on software for this linux platform and adding additional features that are usable now not three years out(ex: the mini usb port n810 has. No one really has been able to get them in any quantity to satisfy n810 owners-Rob who builds the otg can tell you how hard it is to secure those, minisdhc too far out, etc...). I and other user(present and future) want technology that is useful today. A phone would be a welcome addition, full usb support for (charging, external devises), IR, better gps, tv chips, better graphics card, strong processor, rotation in kernal, etc... These are practical technologies that we need now and that will bring in many more new users. They bought that software company that helps with kde. KDE and others like it should be ported natively. Nokia supporting companies like the Canola project are giving Nokia instant rewards. N8xx users rave about Canola. WiMax should be ported when it's up and running. There are more pressing needsnow - like how to keep you fed. Dan

Originally Posted by dan View Post
texrat I love you, but WiMax is three years out from full scale adoption if even possible.
So?

It's a chicken and egg scenario, granted, but won't the spoils go to whichever companies grit their collective teeth and get started?

Do we wait for WiMAX to be pervasive before making devices that use it, or try to seed areas where it's already taking root?

Do we give up due to incompatibilities, or try to find ways to overcome or otherwise resolve them?

If people had always historically given up for the reasons WiMAX is currently doubted, then we wouldn't be typing this over a global networking medium.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: