Posts: 276 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post

I get pretty decent performance, here is a pretty representative speed test:

Oh, thanks for the reply .
Yeah, those speeds aren't too bad. I was just thinking this would be a great idea because I may be going on a road trip (in a cushy RV) with a friend. Though I think she may already have an internet solution. Also, being an RV, it doesn't have to be an extremely portable solution like yours, and maybe not quite as pricey. I'll just have to see how it goes.

cool, yeah no need to be that spendy...I actually believe Sprint will RENT EVDO modems. You might check the site.

Also, check the RV park because most of them actually have Wifi or some sort of internet service as part of the deal. I have some neighbors who RV and they tell me about that stuff...so, heck you might already be covered...for A LOT LESS.

oh nooooo, I have the much dreaded and ambiguous "Departure Scan" status at our area/destination hub. Fortunately that typically means the package is on the way here to be put on another truck for delivery...or they are re-routing it to my PO BOX...AGAIN. I had UPS decide to do that once and once they decided to deliver to my old address. Both time the package had the correct address on the label.

Gawds I do not like UPS...but, not my choice just pay the bill and shaddup, right?

well, it's pretty. So far that is the best I can say. had it running & online in 10mins out of the box. updated to OS2008. Reconfig'd...Skype works. That is nice.

what rocket scientist decided to put the USB port behind the kick stand when it's folded/closed? the engineer, they fior heem...awful location.

I can tell it will take some time, butright this microsecond, I like my Clie MUCH better. It's easier to read and use. But, I din't much like the clie at first either.

it's gettiing betta. fbreader works wonderfully. the browser in os08 is amazing compared to other mobile browsers i have used.

but, this site is teeeeeeeeny font.. looks nice @ 120%....

next is gvm .....zzoikes!!

I believe 3gstore.com rents EVDO modems (and cradlepoint or other routers).

Originally Posted by tz1 View Post
I believe 3gstore.com rents EVDO modems (and cradlepoint or other routers).
YEAH, that is where I saw it!! Thanks for the correction!

Much coolness surrounds our home today...the Cradlepoint CTR350 got here!! Soon as I sort out my gainroot issue I will fiddle with it...oooohhhhh, boy, TOYS!!

Must remember to order iGo Stowaway today too!!

I do have some more observations. I used the N800 a lot last night...until about 4am today...TOYS!! Plus the better half is off to the Seattle & Spokane up in the PNW (Pacific North West for our international pals). So, I have not much to do...well, not much I am WILLING to do instead of play with my new toys.

Anyway, I am liking the tablet more and more. I like the web access and browsing, I used Skype today and it worked like a charm. I still loathe a case-sensitive OS, or develoment language for that matter, but that will NEVER change in me or these UNIX-like Linux OS's...so ya just roll with it.

I still do not like how it works in my hand for reading a book. My had is a "tweener" too large to use the buttons easily and to small to completely grip the device and have access to the buttons or display one handed to change pages in a book. It is no fault of the device but just an issue that ergonomics are not perfect for everyone. But it's a nice job.

Also with my hands as they are I no longer have the flexibility I once did this also afffects my accessing the screen or buttons. But, again I will adapt eventually. But my flexibility will only continue to degrade...ya work around it.

I love the screen, it's bright, crisp and clear. I played a DIVX video (old Twilight Zone Epsiode) last night that I already had converted down for the nx73v. I have to say it played better on the Clie then the N800. The video is a 15fps & 32khz setup at something around 420x3?? and only 35mb in size. So it is not too big nor set for too fast a frame rate. But I guess the N800 has more pixels to manage 800x480 vs 480x320 for the nx73v. But the N800 has a 400Mhz cpu vs a 200mhz ARM in the Clie so I would expect a wash or slightly better rendering and performance from the N800. It does play the default included AVI video with EXCEPTIONAL clarity so I am guess I need to find a better sweet spot for the video specs when I convert. It is just trial and error. And I suspect this will also improve as the software gets better.

Overall I am very happy with everything after the first 24hrs. I spent a lot of time with the device and feel it will do exactly what I asked for in almost every need.

oh, something I do like it I can open the kickstand and slip my hand between it and the back of the N8x0. This helps prevent me from dropping the device in use. Given the lack of a standard place to attach a lanyard I find this important to mention. Though I will likely add a stick-on lanyard soon enough.

Oh, I also really like the pouch. It fits great in my pocket and is every easy to use. I was suprised by this because I read few positives about the sleeve. It is not bad, in my pocket. In a bag I can see it slipping out very easily.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I still do not like how it works in my hand for reading a book. My had is a "tweener" too large to use the buttons easily and to small to completely grip the device and have access to the buttons or display one handed to change pages in a book. It is no fault of the device but just an issue that ergonomics are not perfect for everyone. But it's a nice job.
You do realize you can rotate the display into portrait mode in FBReader, right?