Thanks so much for the help, any quick way of deleting the swap file? Is it titled .swap? I'll look with elfm2

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by dont View Post
Is it? I thought that at least some of this time (maybe most?) was spent booting from the Flash memory regardless of whether the final OS came from Flash or MMC.
When the blue bar is shown first it is already booting from mmc for some time. Right after you see the 'booting from mmc2 ..." message or similar, the mmc card is mounted and boot continues there.

The (almost 2x) speedup was visible with 770 with hacked kernel with faster MMC. With N8x0 mmc is faster too but so is CPU so the jffs2 (de)compression is faster too and boot speed from SD is only slightly faster. But still the CPU usage with jffs2 is much higher, reading from MMC is almost free (CPU-wise), reading from jffs2 needs CPU a lot. Of course this bonus effect is visible only if CPU already does something.

As others said - speed is not the primary reason for mmc boot, more space and possibility or easier backup is.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Well I see nothing on the 8gb i have in the internal slot now, browsing with windows and nothing on there using the emelfm2 manager, must be hidden? Still getting bin/sh: not found error.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by JFX View Post
but everytime I try unmount/media/mmc2 or mmc1 it says
/bin/sh: unmount/media/mmc2: not found
The easiest thing to let the system unmount it for you is to open card door (or remove battery cover with internal card in N800). As long as you don't remove the card you can safely partition it or format or whatever. System will not touch it until you close the door. Unfortunately this is not possible with builtin N810 mmc card.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Oh how interesting, so I would need to pop the card into the external slot then, yes? Thanks for your help

Alright when I pop off the lid and then skip the unmount command obviously, i go to type the # sfdisk /dev/mmcblk0 and it says the same thing as above. not found...

Somehow got past it, worked, did all this big process answered couple questions, said flashing, but I have no idea what it was flashing, VERY * confusing and tedious, I feel like a passenger onboard a pilot less plane taking the controls and not knowing a thing about process, actually that's exactly what it is. Anyways I'm lost and if anyone would help a chap out that would be awesome beyond. After doing the flash thing on this post
#sfdisk /dev/mmcblk0 -uM

/dev/mmcblk0p1: 0,7300,0C
/dev/mmcblk0p2: ,,,
/dev/mmcblk0p3:
/dev/mmcblk0p4:

But without the -uM command, also even though I did those command I only have my 8GB in the internal slot, which is mmc1 or mmc2 ?? After this It rebooted and it said to get boot menu hold menu button which I missed so its not back to my original 2008 os nothing is different where do i go from here? This is the most confusing peve job I've ever done on electronics, good lord.

So i'm at step 10) installing the kernels. Also Do i need to be mounted (the lid on) or the lid off, unmounted during the rest of this process? I've kept it offthus far. I am confused let me tell you.. I'm JUST a graphics designer.

Last edited by JFX; 2008-02-21 at 17:15.

Thank you for this guide, i followed it to the doctor's orders, while quite a few times actually and now I have 6.4 gbs free on my Unit, thanks so much for this.

> Here's a slightly updated version of my steps.

This works very fine! Aside from the increase in root file system space (very substantial with my 8GB mmc) there's a noticeable increase in speed. For the initial startup of applications differences are hard to discern, but during their use they're much faster..

A minor problem that sometimes occurs (possibly most when charging and switching off and then back on), is that the root file system is mounted read only. This results in all kinds of trouble that may go unnoticed at first sight. E.g are the upper statusbar icons.

A simple reboot -I use a reboot command from a root shell- solves the problem though :-)

Yea, when charging my icon goes away until I unplug. Also it doesn't display the charging action when it IS visible.