Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Pity that it's not that good of a voice, for general purposes, anyway. I'm currently listening to Tom Jones in Windows, using a voice from AT&T called Crystal, which is much better than anything in Linux I've been able to find.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
using a voice from AT&T called Crystal, which is much better than anything in Linux I've been able to find.
I'm pretty sure AT&T Natural Voices was once available for Linux (x86, anyway), good luck finding it, though

I like the Cepstral voices too, and they're much cheaper (but no ARM binaries, of course..)

I would love to see text to speech integrated into FBReader. The specific use case would be as a way to continue reading while walking or piped through the car stereo while driving. Hopefully, FBReader would continuously indicate the word being spoken on screen by underlining, bolding or changing the color of the text. Even if FBReader just piped the current screenful of text to flite, waited for it to terminate, went to the next page and repeated would be useful, if not ideal.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
shame the speakers are so quiet, even maxed out they arn't that loud on my N800.

-Rip

Well, if I was walking I would be using headphones and if driving it would be piped through my car stereo, so the overly quiet speakers (my observation as well on 810) wouldn't be an issue.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Originally Posted by tj110158 View Post
People, the program that I'm looking for will read any highlighted text I choose, not text from a prompt. It will read "webpages, ebooks, proof read letters I type, things like that." I know its out there somewhere because Windows and Mac have them. The real question I had is "Can I use any Linux Program on the Nokia N800" or does it have to be made for Maemo?
This is a cool idea! I can't really think of a way that I could use this, but that's never stopped me from trying a quick hack in the past. Without further ado, I give you a JohnX exclusive "Crappy Hack!"

What you need:
0) some method to be root: becomeroot, openssh-server or r&d mode.
1) osso-statusbar-cpu (search for it on gronmayer.com/it)
2) libxmu6 from: http://repository.maemo.org chinook/free
3) flite
4) My freshly compiled xclip attached to this post.
5) this script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

DISPLAY=:0 flite "$(xclip -o)"
Copy and paste this text into "Notes" on your tablet. Then open the menu, select Format -> file format -> Plain text and save it to the Documents folder as "selection2speech"

What to do:
1) Install osso-statusbar-cpu and libxmu6. To install libxmu6 you will need to use the command line ("X Terminal"). As root type this:
apt-get install libxmu6
2) install xclip, attached to this post. You will need to do so from the command line as root:
dpkg -i xclip_0.08-7_armel.deb
3) When you see the osso-statusbar-cpu app in your status bar, tap on it, then Settings... -> Commands -> New. For Description put whatever you want. For command type this exactly:
sh /home/user/MyDocs/.documents/selection2speech.txt
4) Now try it out. Hilight some text then click on osso-statusbar-cpu, find the command you put there and tap it. A hideous robotic voice should read the selection. If it doesn't work you get to keep this pieces. What a deal!

If anyone wants to package this better go ahead. It won't hurt my feelings, I prmoise.

-John
Attached Files
File Type: deb xclip_0.08-7_armel.deb (9.8 KB, 271 views)

Last edited by Johnx; 2008-01-20 at 13:40. Reason: Haha! forgot attachments!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
Originally Posted by luca View Post
flite "hello world" also works:
- ackpht! you are *correct*! tks!

- just finished building the elinks text-only browser for armel and a script to download, modify, and then speak the local weather conditions!

- yahoo! i *love* the n800!

:-)

- the script uses elinks' -dump option... for example, to get a quick market update:

elinks -dump http://us.m.yahoo.com/p/finance?t=ms&tsrc=rawfinance

(dump output to file, sed file, have flite read it, etc.)

The Following User Says Thank You to linux_author For This Useful Post:
Thank you all for your comments they were HELPFUL.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
Let's hijack the thread

Johnx how did you built xclip? Especially how did you use the IMakefile to generate the makefile? Did you also port xutils-dev or did you do some steps out of scratchbox? Or you copied some stuffs from your PC to /scratchbox/devkits/whatever?

I'm interested to know how you did it..

Very nice hack by the way!

edit:
I've put xclip in my repository. No need to install manually xmu, it's automagic

Last edited by free; 2008-01-20 at 19:58.

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
It won't work if we installed gnummeric. A note for whoever wants to try this !!!