Active Topics

Hey Everyone
I am new to Linux (Maemo) and know nothing, and I've been searching for a Text2Speech program for my N800. I found a program that works with Linux and was wondering if I can install it on the N800. If someone would kindly take a look and tell me if its possible I would surely be greatful.

http://www.nch.com.au/verbose/index.html

Thanks in advance for any and all the help you may provide me in this matter.

Last edited by tj110158; 2008-01-19 at 04:27. Reason: mispell word

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle, WA
There's already a text-to-speech program that works on the N800. It's called flite, and it's in the maemo Extras repository.

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Orlando, FL
I installed flite but can not find it to try it out. How does it work ?

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
open a terminal and type

Code:
flite "hello world"
to know all the options

Code:
flite --help

People, the program that I'm looking for will read any highlighted text I choose, not text from a prompt. It will read "webpages, ebooks, proof read letters I type, things like that." I know its out there somewhere because Windows and Mac have them. The real question I had is "Can I use any Linux Program on the Nokia N800" or does it have to be made for Maemo?

Originally Posted by tj110158 View Post
People, the program that I'm looking for will read any highlighted text I choose, not text from a prompt. It will read "webpages, ebooks, proof read letters I type, things like that." I know its out there somewhere because Windows and Mac have them.
I haven't seen any myself I'm afraid.

Originally Posted by tj110158 View Post
The real question I had is "Can I use any Linux Program on the Nokia N800" or does it have to be made for Maemo?
The simple answer: It has to be made for Maemo.

The accurate answer: It depends on the nature of program. Usually the more complex it is, the less easy it is to port to the Maemo platform.

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
@tj110158

flite will read text from a file and synth it into a voice. i think its the -t or -f parameter and the path to the file you want "read". it is not really intelligent, so you may get some weird stuff like special characters being verbalized.

as for your real question, many linux apps will work, but most will need to be ported for the platform. the processor does not have the same horsepower or instruction set as a desktop/laptop so some functionality has to be stripped or massaged to work on the device. then the code has to be compiled with a compiler that optimizes the code for the arm processor.
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
[QUOTE=luca;130646]open a terminal and type

Code:
flite "hello world"
- that would be:

file -t "hello world"

(at least for 1.3)...

tks for posting this; i was pleasantly surprised to find flite 1.3 for both os2007 and os2008...

i like the voice under os2008 better...

kudos to the programmer for this port!

flite opens some nice possibilities for notification, alarm events, and other utilities, such as talking weather reports and news headlines!

There are also python bindings for the flite library.

http://powertwenty.com/kpd/blog/inde...-flite-wrapper

I have only had a quick look, but it should compile OK for the IT.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by linux_author View Post
- that would be:

file -t "hello world"
flite "hello world" also works:

Code:
$ flite --help
flite: a small simple speech synthesizer
  version: flite-1.3-release October 2005
  CMU Copyright 1999-2005, all rights reserved
usage: flite TEXT/FILE [WAVEFILE]
  Converts text in TEXTFILE to a waveform in WAVEFILE
  If text contains a space the it is treated as a literal
  textstring and spoken, and not as a file name
flite opens some nice possibilities for notification, alarm events, and other utilities, such as talking weather reports and news headlines!
Pity that it only speaks english